Complaint Review: JCPenney Credit

• Submitted: Mon, July 14, 2014
  • Updated: Mon, July 14, 2014

• Reported By: AM — Virginia

JCPenney Credit Card/GE Credit/Synchrony Financial Never received bills or card - contacted first by collection agency Nationwide

*Author of original report: yes, but...

*Consumer Comment: Sorry, but you have access online even without a bill

I was buying new clothes for work at JCPenney and they had one of their "save extra % if you sign up for credit" deals.  Given that we were still trying to get better situated - had been unemployed for the better part of a year - it looked like a great deal...

So I signed up and bought about $220 in clothing for work.

And my mother got seriously ill and it was, in general, a very hectic and difficult time.  But we never saw a bill and never received the card.  And, out of sight out of mind - yes, that part is my fault.  I would think about it and life would interfere.

The first time anyone contacted me at all was months later when they hounded my wife on the phone and she made a payment.

I thought she had paid it in full - she said, "I paid it."

So still no card, still no bills...

And then we started receiving calls from a collection agency stating we owed over $600.

I tried contacting JCPenney about this then and they pushed me to GE's collection department who refused to budge.

Do I have any options, given that we have never once received a bill?  They have my correct address on file.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/14/2014 10:24 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/JCPenney-Credit/nationwide/JCPenney-Credit-CardGE-CreditSynchrony-Financial-Never-received-bills-or-card-contact-1161855. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on JCPenney Credit

yes, but...

AUTHOR: Anthony - ()

To sign up for online processing requires an account number which was never received.

I will look into the other options given, but as you said, it is likely they will simply brush me off and let their lawyers rake me over the coals.

I do appreciate the other suggestions but with regards to your "larger issues" comment, there were plenty of large issues to attend to at the time, but your phrasing could use some improvement.

Sorry, but you have access online even without a bill

AUTHOR: FloridaNative - ()

First, I am a consumer and do not work for GE or JC Penny.  But buying clothes and not paying for them because you didn't get a bill isn't an option available to you or any of us.  If you read your terms and conditions on the card you will see reference to the fact that there is no requirement to actually bill you.

You do have access to your bill on the website and you can pay there or go into the store and pay. It is probably too late for you to do that now because it has been so long that it has moved to collections.

You might be able to pay JC Penny directly by getting in touch with their Executive Office and pleading your case. Pay it in full and get a goodwill type adjustment to your account where the negative information is deleted. That sometimes happens but not often and it is best approached as gingerly as possible with full payment in hand. Look up Goodwill Letters or Pay for Delete in the legitimate credit and debt websites to get further information.

You obviously have larger issues to handle with your wife since she said she paid it and yet the bill is not showing up as paid. If she did actually pay the bill, she should be able to provide proof of payment and you can provide that to GE/JC Penny so you can get your credit straightened out.