Complaint Review: JCPenney

• Updated: Fri, September 07, 2007

• Reported By:Cooperstown New York
JCPenney
jcpenney.com Nationwide U.S.A.

JC Penney RIPOFF Refused to honor advertised discount, no call back, ineffective customer service Nationwide

*UPDATE Employee: I see this so many times...

*Consumer Comment: Not K-mart

*Consumer Comment: The root of the problem

*Consumer Comment: That is what happens when you shop K-Mart!

*Author of original report: Follow-up

*Consumer Comment: You over-rated the whole picture.

The flyer offered "Friends and Family" extra discount on specific day since I was a gold card "privilege" customer. I ordered via the internet and followed all the rules but the discount didn't show up on my invoice. I call that day and was assured the problem was on their end and it would be cleared up when the bill came. No such luck. Called Customer Service and got a nice woman who knew exactly what I was talking about. Tried to go line by line but she claimed she couldn't perform such calculations and she then started asking innane, mis-directed questions. After 40 minutes on the phone she tried to get me to settle for a $7 discount instead of the $42 one I deserved. SHE ended the conversation saying someone from promotions would be calling back but it might take 72 hours. It's been longer than that and no word back. Judging from other's complaints this seems to bee common practice. It is also a continuing practice as I just received the same offer this week for yet another "privilege" customer sale with the same promises.

Janet
Cooperstown, New York

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/30/2005 08:38 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/JCPenney/nationwide/JC-Penney-RIPOFF-Refused-to-honor-advertised-discount-no-call-back-ineffective-customer-158956. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on JCPenney

I see this so many times...

AUTHOR: Ivafiria - (U.S.A.)

Customers fail to read the fine print on the coupons. You could not have received the "Friends and Family" discount, if someone you know was not an associate. The whole point of this promotion is so that the family and close friends of the associates may purchase items at a discount that would be the same thing as the associate's discount. Associates are otherwise not allowed to give our discounts to other people. If we make a purchase, and use the "Associate Discount Card" given to us upon being hired, then we MUST purchase the items ourselves. Credit cards and checks must be in the associate's name, and any cash or gift cards must be produced from the associate's own purse or wallet.

For example, if my mom and I (the associate) are shopping, she cannot stand in line next to me, hand me the cash to give it to the cashier. The money HAS to be my own, or else it is seen as I am letting an unauthorized person use my discount card. This can be terms for termination. I've heard Dillard's is even more strict and outrageous than JCP when it comes to associate purcahses.

But back to this situation, the "Friends and Family" coupon is not simply handed out, or mailed out to the general public, regardless as to what sort of credit card you have. That would defeat the purpose of the promotion entirely.

I have seen so many people (I literally cannot count them all) who have come back, complaining that their coupon won't work, or we didn't apply it, or whatever. Nearly every one of them resulted in the coupon specifically stating that it does NOT apply to the items the customer wished to purchase. NONE of JCP coupons have EVER applied to cookware, cutlery, gadgets, small appliances, value right items (those items have prices that are set by the companies who make the item. they will not allow us to put those items on sale, or offer any discount towards them, or else they will cease doing business with JCP.), nor, have they worked with "2 or more" prices, (2 or more prices are considered to be "buy one, get one" "buy one item, get another item 50% off", "buy 5 for $25" etc.)

People simply do not want to read the fine print. I've even seen where just under the title of the promotion it says "Applies only to apparel, shoes, and accesories" when they're trying to buy a cookware set, or bed sheets or something.

Please note, that while I work for JCP I cannot be held responsible for the views or opinions of the JCPenney Corp. I am only giving my personal opinion from my personal experience.

Not K-mart

AUTHOR: Michelle - (U.S.A.)

To John P. You should get your facts correct.
K-mart does NOT own JC Penney. K-Mart and Sears merged...

The root of the problem

AUTHOR: Peter - (U.S.A.)

Had you read the fine print on your "Friends and Family" ad, you would have seen that this promotion was NOT applicable online -- only in-store. You were lucky that the store bent over backwards to help you and give you the discount anyway. They could have simply pointed out the fine print to you and walked away -- but, they chose to provide you with excellent service and honor the promotion despite YOUR mistake.

That is what happens when you shop K-Mart!

AUTHOR: John P. - (U.S.A.)

Janet and Monica,

Who do you think owns JC Penny?

You are shopping at a K-Mart store!

You live in the United States, there is no such thing as customer service!

AUTHOR: Janet - (U.S.A.)

My issue with JC Penney was resolved! (After MANY phone calls and about 2 hours of my time they finally gave in) I've had another questionable billing this Fall and would like to forget their store altogether except that my son is 6'5" and finding tall clothing isn't easy.

The store's rebuttal was completely off base and judging by it I would have to assume that AGAIN, one hand doesn't know what the other is doing. #1.I don't know anyone associated with JCPenney I simply HAD (past tense) a "gold" card. This was a nationwide offer.

#2. The responder, a year later, stated I should have taken the matter to a local JC Penney Manager. I tried that and they were even more confused than I and stated that they didn't know what the store offered on the internet. Just a remider to JCPENNEY: a happy customer may tell one or two friends about their experience but an UNHAPPY customer tells everyone. (I think that's the #1 law in "Running a Business")

You over-rated the whole picture.

AUTHOR: Monica - (U.S.A.)

The flyer is offered to friends and Family of AN ASSOCIATE to receive the flyer by an associate.(Its like using the associate discount)

To go off and report bad about the company nationwide is out of control. Although its a year later that someone like me responds to someone like you.

You order by the internet. So your discount would have only been 15% on clothing merchandise, 10% on furniture,electronics,small applainces,and the other small print you prob fail to read. The smart thing for you have done was to go to your local Jcpenney Store show them the order and speak to a manager. Show the discount card and you would of been reimbursed for the difference you are owed if you were right.

To call and try to explain to a customer service from the internet and judging that one person for an entire company. The discount was a "privilege to you" by an associate not because you were a "gold" card holder.