Complaint Review: JK Computers And Cameras

• Submitted: Tue, September 30, 2008
  • Updated: Mon, October 27, 2008

• Reported By:chatham Other
JK Computers And Cameras
830 7th Avenue New York New York New York, New York U.S.A.

JK Computers And Cameras Dishonest trader. Promised massive discounts due to 'unique' syock, but still sold goods at prices far in excess of 'real cost'. New York New York

*Consumer Suggestion: Contact NYC Department of Consumer Affairs

*Consumer Suggestion: Check Before You Buy

Very helpful friendly staff.

Was told the Casio camera was exclusive to the shop and it was to be offered at a massively discounted price, which after several price drops ended up at $400 (220) - this can be purchased in many other shops for approx' $200 (110).

We were told that this was not yet available in the Uk and when it would become available it would retail for around 600. It is already on sale in the Uk for 150 ($270).

I was also sold an HD memory card -this started at well over $100 but ended up being sold to me, because I was such a good customer, for the cost price of $60. This is available online for $7.
The total cost of the purchase was $585 (320) which, if you add the previous figures together do not add up. I can purchase the same items in the US for around $210 and in the Uk for 160 half the cost that I paid in JK computers.

I was also sold a wide angle lens for my other camera. As happened with another customer I was given an extensive demonstration and shown the price tag of $1500. I was also told that the lens had just won an award at the Tokyo electronics show. This was eventually sold to me at below cost price of $325 (inc tax). This can be bought on-line for around $60.
As per previous customers the price tag was removed from the box before being bagged and I had to return to the shop to get the receipt.
On reviewing the photos taken with the lens I think that even $60 is overpriced for what is in fact a below average product.

The total cost of my purchase was $910 (500), these items could have been purchased elsewhere for approx' $270 (150). I could even have purchase the same items in the Uk for approx' 190.

To add insult to injury the salesman shook my hand on the way out of the store I only wish I did not live so far away.

Pete
chatham
United Kingdom

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/30/2008 03:19 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/JK-Computers-And-Cameras/New-York-New-York-ny-10019/JK-Computers-And-Cameras-Dishonest-trader-Promised-massive-discounts-due-to-unique-syoc-377401. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on JK Computers And Cameras

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Contact NYC Department of Consumer Affairs

AUTHOR: Sea - (U.S.A.)

I recently had the "pleasure" of dealing with JK Computers. Entered the store to purchase a camera battery... left WITHOUT a battery, receipt, and was still charged. I was able to get my money back by filing a complaint with the NYC Department of Consumer Affairs.

I believe JK Computers has to respond to DCA because the DCA issues them their business license. (something like that)

I don't know if DCA can help you, but it's worth a shot.

Good luck!

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Check Before You Buy

AUTHOR: Karl - (U.S.A.)

This is an example of an unhappy customer who didn't check competitive prices before he bought something. Happens every day. He should have left the store and stopped in at a public library where he could have easily searched prices in the UK on a computer before going back and purchasing anything. Obviously the research was done after he returned home.