Complaint Review: J.K. Harris & Company

• Submitted: Fri, February 19, 2010
  • Updated: Fri, February 19, 2010

• Reported By: Roger — Browns Mills New Jersey U.S.A.
J.K. Harris & Company
4995 Lacross Rd. Suite 1800 Charleston, South Carolina United States of America
  • Phone:
  • Web:
  • Category:

J.K. Harris & Company Ripoff- Local contractors are just shills and FireAlarm salesmen who pass off to others in the company Charleston, South Carolina

I contacted their local affiliate/contractor in Mt. Laurel NJ. Ike Noble. Nice expensive office location. I had minor issues. I had not filed a tax return in 3 years.
 My tax guy at the time said that was OK because I did not owe them money. All well and good. By the 3rd year, when I did need to file for the last 3 years, my tax guy flaked out and disappeard with all of my info. for the 3 year period. By the time I realized this, there was no way that would be able to gather that information together by April 15th. I almost did. I got it together with a few days to spare.
 Figuring that I would be late in filling, I stupidly contacted JK Harris, who set me up with a consultation with Mark Nobel in Marton NJ. He was like a fire alarm salesman. High pressure. He really exaggerated my problems. He actually frightened me. He asked for $1400 to help me resolve my problems. I paid this with a credit card.
 A few WEEKS later, I reeived my tax returns that had been shuffled off to a Cynthia in SC, I guess. These were OBVIOUSLY wrong. She had me owing money for taxes. The deductions that I had mentioned were not there. I called her, and complained. A couple of weeks later, she sent me my ammended returns. They were better, but still not correct. I sent them in to the IRS, along with late penalties. Not a whole bunch of money, but a lot for me.  I really think that I would have been better off going to HR Block. JK Harris took much longer to prepare my returns, and charged me an OUTRAGEOUS amount of money, AND they were wrong.
 The next year, I went to a local tax service. They took a look at the returns that JK HArris had prepared for me. They ammended the previous years return, and got me (some of MY) money back from the IRS.
 A terrible experience with JK Harris for minor tax issues. I TOTALLY BELIEVE thar H&R Block would have taken much better care of my problem, and for a lot less money. I am not recommending HR Block. I have never used them. I am just speculating. I NOW see that they have had many complaints and lawsuits against them, including at least 1 class action suit, that JK Harris lost , and had to pay a large settlement. I wish that I had done my research first. I would love to have been in on a class action suit against them. Wonder if it is too late.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/19/2010 11:16 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/JK-Harris-Company/Charleston-South-Carolina-29406/JK-Harris-Company-Ripoff-Local-contractors-are-just-shills-and-FireAlarm-salesmen-w-571860. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on J.K. Harris & Company