Complaint Review: JP Morgan Chase Bank

JP Morgan Chase Bank CHASE FRAUD DEPT. FRIEND OR FOE? Internet

*Consumer Comment: Suspicious.

*Consumer Comment: Few Questions

*Consumer Comment: Jabba,

On Friday December 14, 2012 in Detroit, MI I had made one $400 ATM withdrawal of my own funds from a Chase ATM. I've been a Chase customer for well over a year and haven't had any issues up until now. Later that night, while I was out in public (downtown metro area) my card/wallet was stolen at  however, I wasn't notified of the thievery activity until the following morning. After being notified via my Chase alerts of the fraudulent activity (2) $600 ATM fraudulent deposits, (1) $200 ATM withdrawal, (1) $240 Liquor store transaction. From this point on I notified chase and had them discontinue my debit card immediately (Dec. 15, 2012) the rep in the claims department that I spoke to had assured me that incidents like these normally happen and that I had nothing to worry about, seeing as though chase would take care of the issue.  I was wrong, and instead like the rest of you I have been shuffled and transferred from department to department with little to no answers. Sidebar: Although I had disputed these fraudulent charges the following morning unfortunately, there was nothing that Chase could do seeing as though you have to wait until those ''fraudulent'' charges have been posted and not pending..I HATE THIS. So from this point on, on Monday I'm under the impression that everything had been taken care of on Chase's behalf, and that the ridiculous charges have eventually been removed from my account. I was wrong, now did Chase credit the money back to me that was due? YES. However, Chase claims that I compromised my OWN pin and basically authorized these chain of events myself. I've never deposited a check via an ATM, in fact I have always made my deposits at a branch personally and will always continue to do so. I've never been to a Mays Liquor Store and to add onto the rest of these issues I barely even use my Chase Checking Account (aside from recent direct deposit from my job I barely even use the account), and for starters if you look at the screen-shots of the ATM check deposits you can most certainly be assured that my handwriting isn't even the same as the culprit. However, Chase still believes that "I" am responsible for the chain of events and that "I" myself, had made these transactions myself. Anyways, so I disputed and disputed over and over again and each time getting the run around. The claims department gave me a credit for the following unauthorized transactions: $200 ATM withdrawal, $240 Mays Market Liquor store transaction (DENIED). Ok so here's when things get confusing, my first credit and correspondence report from chase was the $240 Mays Market transaction on December 15, 2012 (cool), but I was still in the dark regarding the ATM withdrawal and two ATM deposits. I didn't spend a dime for that whole weekend especially seeing as though I didn't have a debit card to use for spending anyway. All I had equipped was the ATM card which I had gotten from Chase, Monday morning there was over $1,200 in my checking account with $1645 sitting as my present balance.

Note: I was assured on Saturday that the fraudulent funds would be removed by Monday morning and that everything would be going back to it's normal state. It's a shame that Chase doesn't diversify the difference between personal and/or fraudulent funds, why couldn't they put a hold on the funds that are assumed to be fraudulent while leaving your personal funds available for access?

Anyway, Monday evening I realized that my account had jumped from $600 (I withdrew some funds from my account in total of $600 that afternoon not an issue $1245-$600 ->ATM & Branch withdrawals) to just, $54.51! According to Chase, I had spent $1,116  Monday afternoon but how would that be possible seeing as though I don't have a debit card and there's a $500 limit at the ATMs? In other words, Chase appeases you with these credits when you report Fraud and then have the nerve to remove the credits from you without any kind of notifications because THEY FEEL THAT YOU are suspicious and are in fact a criminal. Horrible customer service, now at this point I decided to dispute the issue again and then at this point after being shuffled through the portals of chase I eventually discovered that my account was restricted and placed on a hold..WTF to make a long story short I had an hour long conversation with some foreigner which ultimately led to her speaking with her superior to have the hold removed, GREAT. By this time they had also assured me that the system would update and that I would have an even higher available balance on the next day. Tuesday December 18, 2012 now my balance is in the ball park of $361, now mind you I had made a $400 cash deposit Saturday afternoon (December 15, 2012) why in the hell is my balance so low? Well the customer service rep stated that it was because I had withdrew $300 from the remaining $600 balance I had on Monday. WHAT? You see how confusing things are getting here? According to her I had made 3 $300 withdrawals on Monday? That's totally false. I only made two, one from the ATM and the other was done in a branch. However, that still doesn't explain how it jumped from $600 to $54 all in one day on Monday.

Note: If the process of the fraudulent funds being returned was in fact the reason for these ''inconspicuous'' debit transactions then by all means please proceed to get that shit out of my account. But can I at least get a notification? Or some kind of alert letting me know that these debits will be occurring?

Anyway, after disputing more on Tuesday afternoon I spoke to another lady in the claims department (A senior claims analyst). She was more friendly and helpful and decided to REOPEN my claims and credit my account a second time but with the $200 ATM withdrawal involved.

Note: They also denied my claim that morning and took away the $240.00 credit from my remaining $361 balance leaving me with roughly $121 left.

After these two credits had been placed on my account I was standing with a $541.61 balance in my account, ok great...I think. That day I didn't spend a thing, didn't touch the money, NOTHING. But Chase did, they withdrew over $600 from that remaining balance ultimately leaving me with a $-34 in the hole. WTF. Afterwards, I spent the remaining day disputing with these people from seniors to seniors, to reps to reps it was exhausting. I also had to speak to a guy named Kevin in the Loss Preventions department in order to get the restriction that was placed on my account removed.

Note: So here I am doing three jobs at once, disputing the fact that these credits were removed 2x in a row from my account + the fraudulent checks (Which I DID not authorize) and working with Kevin to get the hold that was supposed to be removed from my account a day ago finally removed once and for all. Terrible

I had also been notified or lied to shall I say, that my $400 cash deposit that "I" MADE WITH MY FUNDS (Saturday December 15, 2012) was never posted to my account but was in fact, rejected. So there's the 4th problem that must be dealt with and after speaking with more analyst and reps they concluded that I go to the branch that  I made the deposit to see if it can be reversed. NO WAY

So far, as you can see Chase has been jerking me around and giving me incomplete answers, assuming that I compromised my own pin, they're being unethical, withdrawing available funds from my account without any sort of heads up or alert, withdrawing credits that are DUE TO ME but they feel should not be and more.
Now my account is withdrawn over $500 (it goes up over night) due to their shady acts and Christmas is just in a few days. You can't help it if you become a victim to fraud and of course yes, you can do your part to protect yourself however, as a bank there should always be a sense of collaboration between the bank and the customer. It should never get this bad and customers should be heard out and listened to. I have too much proof to prove that I never made these transactions but Chase isn't buying it. So far, this issue has gotten so bad that I took this to the executive office (thanks Sheray Franklin) So, there you have it feel free to send over any donations or words of encouragement! Happy Holidays.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/19/2012 08:59 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/JP-Morgan-Chase-Bank/internet/JP-Morgan-Chase-Bank-CHASE-FRAUD-DEPT-FRIEND-OR-FOE-Internet-984308. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on JP Morgan Chase Bank

Suspicious.

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

The heart of the matter is that the bank is suspicious because whomever supposedly stole your card "out in public", immediately began making transactions using your PIN.

While your post is long and detailed, you seem to be avoiding this core issue.    What aren't you telling us?  How could a random pickpocket obtain your PIN ?    I can't say I blame the bank for being suspicious.

Few Questions

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

According to you, on the 14th you Withdrew $400 from an ATM,  later that night your wallet/card were stolen.  Yet you didn't mention anything about a police report or contacting Chase.

It appears that you didn't report the card stolen to Chase until AFTER the text was sent out.  Now, of course you are not going to call them the second it is stolen.  But why did you wait until the next morning, and appeared to only do it AFTER they sent the alert that you had deposits.

Did you ever file a Police Report?  If you did, when did you do it.  That is did you do it the same evening your wallet was stolen, or waited until after Chase sent you the alert?  If you didn't file a police report..why not?

Also, one other thing that is odd.  You withdrew $400 in cash on friday.  Your wallet was stolen..where one would figure that like most people you would put the $400 in your wallet which according to you was also stolen.  Yet the next day you were able to make a $400 CASH deposit back into Chase.  While the reasons may be totally normal and valid..you must admit that on the outside that seems a bit strange.  What makes it even more strange is that you again on Monday withdrew another $600 CASH.  So why did you even bother depositing the $400 on Saturday only to remove it on Monday along with another $200.  This continues to seem odd, especially for someone who says they don't use their Chase account that much.  Just in cash that you admit you did you did a total of $1400 in transactions($1000 in withdraws and $400 in deposits) in just 4 days...for many people that is a heck of a lot of money changing hands in that short amount of time.

As for your PIN, generally the only way someone is going to be able to get your PIN is by you telling them, or them finding it out.  So did you have the PIN written down in your wallet?  Is it an easily discoverable number(such as your birth date).

The rest of it actually does not sound that confusing, but the initial issue is really the root and the answers would probably explain quite a bit of the rest of the actions.

Jabba,

AUTHOR: Karl - (USA)

I believe it is always best to go right to the top when you are experiencing problems with a company, wouldn't you agree?

Since JP Morgan Chase is part of the Federal Reserve it makes sense that Ben Bernanke should be alerted to what happened, right? And since Jamie Dimon is the CEO at JP Morgan Chase he should also be alerted immediately so you can get your money back quickly, correct?

Feel free to 'Google' the following in order to get the mailing addresses for the Federal Reserve and for JP Morgan Chase's headquarters and send both of them a copy of your Ripoff Report-

1) BOARD OF GOVERNORS OF THE FEDERAL RESERVE SYSTEM
2) CHASE CORPORATE OFFICE HEADQUARTERS

P.S. If you 'Google' this- WHO OWNS THE FED, and go to the site with the five charts you will see that J.P. Morgan Co. is listed in 'Chart 1'.

Good luck and Happy Holidays to you!