Complaint Review: J&R Marine Services

• Updated: Fri, April 04, 2014

• Reported By: CWH — Charlottesville Virginia
J&R Marine Services
5001 Woodfield Rd. Placida, Florida USA

J&R Marine Services Tried to claim ownership of personal property Placida Florida

*Author of original report: Absoilutely Untrue "Rebuttal"

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: The Police asked him to leave.

J&R (more specifically, Ronnie, a partner) Marine Service has been very difficult to deal with. Here is my story...

I purchased a used boat from the previous owners. The boat had been "on the hard" on their property and then moved to J&R Marine Services some years prior to my purchase. Because the boat had originally been kept on their property, they owned their own boat stands, and a tall fiberglass ladder necessary to use to gain entry to the boat. When the boat was relocated to J&R Marine Services, the boat stands and the ladder went with it. When I purchased the boat, I was told that both the stands and the ladder came with it. Initially, Ronnie denied that I owned the boat stands, but, after a long conversation with the previous owners, agreed that they belonged to me.

During the time I was "commuting" from Virginia to Florida to work on the boat, I used the ladder, and had it chained to the side of the boat. After a particularly violent thunderstorm, I received a call from the boatyard asking if they could borrow my ladder to access a part of the office roof that had been damaged. I agreed to let them use it under the condition that it be returned to the boat upon completion of the repair. They agreed. When I returned several weeks later, at 2 AM, I could not board my boat as the ladder was gone. I found it near their painting shed, brought it back to my boat and chained it.

Fast forward...after approximately 10 months of work, the boat was ready to launch for my trip home to Virginia. I left the stands and ladder, along with my car (which I lent to some friends at the boatyard), at the boatyard, intending to return for the car, ladder, and stands after I had returned the boat to Virginia. In order to prevent theft, I chained the ladder to boat stands under another boat which belonged to my friends.

Several weeks later I returned, picked up my car, loaded the ladder onto my car, and left. Several months later I returned again, intending to pick up the boat stands. When I arrived at the boatyard, Ronnie was not there, so I asked her assistant to call her and tell me which stands I should take.

Several minutes later Ronnie called me and told me that the stands were gone, and that I had stolen "their" ladder, and that she was going to call the police. Knowing that the ladder was mine, I invited her to call them. She did not, but told me that I was not allowed in the boatyard, and that she would have me arrested if I was on the property.

I spoke with Ronnie's partner, Joe Pocklington, and he said that he "wouldn't get involved." I then went to the police station and filed a report. While I was there, the officer called Ronnie and spoke with her, and she backed off of claiming that I had stolen the ladder, and said that I had picked up the boat stands, "or something," and that they were gone.

In conclusion...I found Ronnie to be difficult, if not impossible, to work with. She appears to be the type of person who is always right, and is easily angered if questioned. The boatyard has basically stolen the boat stands, worth at least $300, so they came out well ahead by not having to purchase them.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/25/2014 07:08 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/JR-Marine-Services/Placida-Florida-33946/JR-Marine-Services-Tried-to-claim-ownership-of-personal-property-Placida-Florida-1133400. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on J&R Marine Services

Absoilutely Untrue "Rebuttal"

AUTHOR: CWH - ()

The rebuttal from Ronnie of J&R is absolutely not true. In fact, I (not Ronnie) went to the local police station and filed a report. I was not asked "to move on down the road" or anything like that, nor did the police take Ronnie's side of this issue.

The threat of a "restraining order" came from Ronnie of J&R, and was part of what prompted my going to the police station and filing a report in the first place. I viewed this as another attempt by Ronnie to prevent my recovering my property (the boat stands).

In fact, Ronnie even contacted an adjoining business and tried to have them forbid my entry onto the adjoining business's property, thankfully an unsuccessful attempt.

A warning to others...make sure you declare your property prior to bringing it to J&R (maybe even have it acknowledged in writing), lest it be later considered "their property" as they initially claimed my boat stands were, or as they later claimed my ladder was, after I lent it to them for a roof repair they needed to make to their office.

#2 REBUTTAL Individual responds

The Police asked him to leave.

AUTHOR: Rburke - ()

The police advised him to move on up the road and came and told us if he came to the boat yard again to call them and they would place a restraining order against him.  (Which he is the one that got them involved.)  The report is public knowledge.