Complaint Review: JRP - John Robert Powers

• Submitted: Wed, May 14, 2008
  • Updated: Fri, May 16, 2008

• Reported By:Decatur Georgia
JRP - John Robert Powers
1197 Peachtree Street Atlanta, Georgia U.S.A.

JRP - John Robert Powers Mothers' Day Manipulation Don't be sucked in!! Atlanta Georgia

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: It is what it is.

Last week I heard an ad on All the hits Q100 about a rare chance to have your child model or act in front of a VIP from the TV biz at John Robert Powers Agency.
I called in and booked a place for my 16 year old daughter for Sunday, Mothers' day. Really I much rather would have planned something else but she has been pestering me forever that she wants to pursue acting and so I thought this would be a thrill for her.
I also took along my poor 8 year old son who sat patiently through the four hour ordeal.
Anyway we sat through the propaganda (1 hour) waited about 45 minutes until we got to the interview process.
Anyway after that and the fake camera shoot they took of my daughter doing a 3 line tv commercial for coca cola, they said to call back the next day at 11.30 am to see if she had "made it".
Of course my daughter worried the whole night about whether she would "make it" or not and in the meantime I started to research the company on rip off report because something was "just not right" Lo and behold I saw 85 postings from people they had screwed for money so I decided I would call them back to see what their pitch was but I would not get fooled into buying the $5,000 classes they recommended.
Sure enough when I called back in they said that YES my daughter had been chosen. By the way, they had already called her and got her REALLY excited. (She is still young and innocent and does not know how evil people can be for money yet) Anyway, just messing with them I asked if I could just check with my daughter and then pay them the following day, if she was interested. They would not even let me do that!!! They said they had to have the money THAT day by 8 pm or she would lose her place to one of the runners up!!! What a load of BULL**** Thanks for the warnings on this site. I too wanted to write in and let you know that I saved a lot of money and heartache by checking out these reports first.

Sharon h
Decatur, Georgia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/14/2008 11:56 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/JRP-John-Robert-Powers/Atlanta-Georgia-30030/JRP-John-Robert-Powers-Mothers-Day-Manipulation-Dont-be-sucked-in-Atlanta-Georgia-332450. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on JRP - John Robert Powers

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

It is what it is.

AUTHOR: Lucy - (U.S.A.)

I have had the experiance of being contracted to teach acting classes at a John Robert Powers franchise.

The location I taught at had a lot of problems. And I'm willing to bet that most JRPs share the same problems.

There are a lot of pros and cons about this school, and it is a school not an agency. A respectable agency would never ask you for money up front, but a school does.

One thing to keep in mind about JRP is that it's business and education models rely on image and marketing.

You are not going to a JRP school to get work. They are not an agency. They will provide oppurtunities and resources for you to find work, but the actual booking of work is your solid responsibility. (No one will hold your hand and do that for you.) You are probably not going there to hone a craft. I have been an actor for about 10 years now and hold a bachelors degree in Theatre. There is a difference between training as an actor and learning how to market yourself. If you are interested in becoming a better actor/artist, more well rounded person, or more self-confident look up your local community or regional theatre and see if they are offering acting classes. Better yet, audition for a show and see if you can get real experiance getting cast in something. (Parents look up the closest children's theatre in your area, there are some great resources for your kids to get real experiance being on a real stage with professional actors. Or maybe they would feel more comfortable taking a summer theatre camp at a fraction of what JRP would cost.)

If you are are a person who does not consider yourself an artist whose interest in acting or modeling is climbing the stairway to success regardless of talent or discipline then JRP might be a good fit for you. (Yeah, I'm a culture snob.)

So, to reiterate, JRP deals in teaching someone to market themself and how to improve their image. They use those same principles when they market their business. Basically, I know that the location I taught at was upfront about who/what they were. But they said it phrases and ways that could paint a different picture in a different interpretation. Not a scam. But possibly a shady business model? I'll leave that up to you.

Also, they are franchised. So each and every one is only as good as the owner. Maybe there is a location that is more concerned with molding talent. Maybe not.
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC