Complaint Review: JUST BRAKES

• Submitted: Tue, December 11, 2001
  • Updated: Sun, December 17, 2006

• Reported By:Bradenton Fl
JUST BRAKES
1108 S Dale Mabry Tampa, Florida U.S.A.

Just brakes keeps changing price and try to rip you off *REBUTTALS

*Consumer Comment: That hardly made sense

*Consumer Comment: HOW DO YOU SPELL THEIF - JUST BRAKES

*Consumer Comment: I don't know about

*Consumer Comment: Yes jeff, I am saying Auto Zone discounts their parts

*Consumer Comment: JUST BRAKES MUST GET THERE PARTS FROM ANOTHER PLANET

*Consumer Comment: JUST BRAKES MUST GET THERE PARTS FROM ANOTHER PLANET

*Consumer Comment: Stop trying to compare a DISCOUNT part store price to anything else

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: RE: JUST BRAKES MANAGMENT / OWNER

*Consumer Comment: Al YES I totally agree,,,IN MOST CASES

*Consumer Comment: Your Advertisement ..it's still lying.

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: To Al @Houston#85

*UPDATE Employee: $99.88 in MOST cases

*0: This "Report" is typical of the American Driving Public

*0: This is typical of the American Driving Public

*0: All I can say is ...

Just install my new brakes. He said the back brakes were fin. I said we may as well replac them cause the deal for $99.98 was rear shoes turn drums front pads turn rotors pack wheel bearings

he said he couldn't do that cause the Tundra has 11 inch drums be he would do the front for the $99.88

I said that's a rip off he is a typicial bait and switch operation I said the guy that wrote me up new it was a tundra, he said the guy was new and didn't know any better.

I said wheres the manager, he said I am the mnager Tom, he said it's $99.98 in most cases thats what the contract says.

I said B.S. I asked if this was his first tundra he worked on he said no. Then I said from the start you knew I had 11 inch drums or shoes why did you tear it down and then tell me it would cost $139.00 more I said give me the corp number

I called and the customer service guy ws busy and he would call back, he called the store then asked for me..he wanted there story he said it was not covered for that price it fell under most cars

that was Chris Poomer

I asked to talk to who is above him he told me thats the owners and they wont talk to me and that they dont care I cussed him and told him off

I wouldn'tlet them check the air in my tires

they are all incompetent from the owners to the guy that sweeps the floor

I had them put my truck back together and will go else where

they kept the key to my wheel lock nice guys huh

I will be following this up with the county they work in and the state and my lawyer

Click here to see other Rip-off Reports on Just Brakes

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/11/2001 12:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/JUST-BRAKES/Tampa-Florida-33629/Just-brakes-keeps-changing-price-and-try-to-rip-you-off-REBUTTALS-9060. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on JUST BRAKES

That hardly made sense

AUTHOR: Jennifer - (U.S.A.)

If you were responding to me...
I simply asked you how do you know you are comparing the same parts when you talk about the profit they are making, which you did not answer. It's simple... I buy parts at 50 dollars, sell them for 80. You call the store, find out they are 20 dollars and decide I must be making a 60 dollar profit, when infact I am using different parts and only making 30 dollars. To be clear...these are MADE UP prices, not refering to anything, just made up figures ok.

I didn't say anything was wrong with your brake job, just asked how do you know how much of a profit they are making? Our parts come from the same place the dealer gets most of thier parts, Napa, and a vendor that deals with undercar parts and only quality ones. I cannot get a pair of brake pads for 10 dollars from them. We rarely use anything from Kragen or Autozone, less than once a month. And only on parts we cannot find elsewhere. I have no idea where Just Brakes gets thier parts, or what brand they use, do you?

The rest of my rebuttle had nothing to do with you, actually refering to Al, who is upset at the type of people, and thier attitudes when they are in his shop. I simply said OF COURSE they are going to be mad, you say 99 on your advertisements, then want them to pay 400 because thier car isn't "MOST CARS" If you advertise one price, that is what people expect to pay, you can't expect them to be happy and understanding when you increase the price by so much. AGAIN Made up prices!

Yes it's human nature to want the lowest price, they were lured in by the cheap prices only. Not for your outstanding customer service, waiting room, whatever. When you advertise ONLY to bargain shoppers that is what you will get, people who only care about price and want to bring in cheaper parts. So hmm I guess that part does refer to you Jeff, you wanted to bring in cheaper parts, not better parts, just cheaper. Since they advertise to people like you, how can he possibly complain that you are the bad guy when they tell you it is going to be much more than the 99?

Your rebuttles, JEFF, do not make much sense. It is not clear what you are saying, or who you are saying it to.

HOW DO YOU SPELL THEIF - JUST BRAKES

AUTHOR: Jeff - (U.S.A.)

THE COMPANY IS NOTHING MORE THAN A CRIMINAL BUSSINESS. THEY ADVERTISE 4 WHEEK BRAKE RELIGN ! 2 LIFE TIME FRONT PADS ! A ROTOR GRIND+ SURFACE AND 2 REAR SHOES ! 99.99 ! ( WHY BECAUSE IT IS LOWER THAN ANY ONE ELSE ( JUST A LITTLE ) PEOPLE ALWAYS WANT THE BEST DEAL ) ( THAT IS HUMAN NATURE ) ! THAT IS WHY THE GAS STATION SELLING THERE GAS FOR 1.89 A GALLON HAS MORE CARS IN THE LOT THEN THE GAS STATION ACROSS THE STREET SELLING THERE GAS FOR 1.99 A GALLON ! WHEN YOU PULL INTO THE GAS STATION ( DO THEY TRY TO SELL YOU FUEL ADDITIVE ? OR UP GRADE GAS TO MAKE UP THE DIFFERENCE? OR THEY HAPPY YOU CAME IN ?

JUST BRAKES ADVERTISES 99.99 BACAUSE THEY GENERATE DRIVE IN'S THEY CAN PREY ON ! THEY MAKE ENOUGH OFF THE IGNORANT UNEDUCATED PEOPLE THAT THEY AFFORD TO LET SAVOY CUSTOMERS GO! THE WORD IS OUT AND THE WORD IS GROWING ! THEY HAVE BEEN INVESTIGATED AND WILL CONTIUUE TO BE INVESTIGATED ! THE FACTS SHOW UP AS ONE PERSON MENTIONED ( YOU DO NOT SEE THE SAME PEOPLE WORKING AT JUST BRAKES YOU GO IN AND A MONTH LATER 70% OF THE CREW IS NEW ?

AS FOR YOU SAYING BRAKE JOCBS COST 300.00 + UP IM REAL HAPPY WITH THE PADS I HAD PUT ON THE ROTORS I HAD RESURFACED FOR 128.75 ( WITH THE PARTS I NEEDED ) ( NOT THE 300+ DOLLARS THE SAME JOB AT JUST GREED WOULD HAVE COST ME ! FUNNY THING IS EVERY ONE MADE MONEY ? THE PEOPLE WHO SOLD ME THE ROTOR AT 49.99 MADE A PROFIT AND I BELIEVE WILL CONTINUE TO BE IN BUSSINESS ?

THE PERSON WHO GROUND THE ROTORS AND INSTALLED LIFE TIME PADS ( MADE MONEY) AND HAS BEEN IN BUSSINESS FOR 30 YEARS, AND I THINK WILL CONTINUE TO BE IN BUSSINESS. AND JUST BRAKES ( WHO KNOWS ) ( WHO CARES )! ( ALL I KNOW IS I TALK TO MANY PEOPLE EVERY DAY WHEN I SEE CROOKS I LET EVERY ONE I KNOW JUST WHO AND WHERE THEY ARE !

I don't know about

AUTHOR: Jennifer - (U.S.A.)

Value Brakes or Just Brakes, but most auto repair shops don't buy parts from "discounters" so how do you even know you are comparing the same parts? As in- the same brands and quality? The brake pads we use are usually about 60-80, while I know I could go to autozone and buy some pads for about 20 dollars, but they are two completely different quality.

Just Brakes will likely be in business for a long time, because until customers realize that it is not possible to do any of the services at the prices they offer, they will continue to get business! It seems that you haven't quite figured it out for yourself, as you are still complaining that they are charging too much and it should be much less expensive. Your reports revolve entirely around price, not shoddy work, crappy parts, etc, just about the price! Anyhow, even if you did figure it out there would just be another cheap customer to step up right behind you in line for the 99 dollar special, keeping them in business!

Which brings me to my last thought, to Al the shop foreman. I understand a lot of your report and especially about the comments people sometimes make ( I've done it myself and it doesn't take that long/cost that much/require that, I've never had to do anything to my rotors - uh maybe that's why you need to now!- etc. ) but really, you ASK for these people, infact you beg, you advertise just for THAT TYPE of person! Come on now, anyone with any common sense knows those prices are unreal (for MOST cars) but you advertise those prices KNOWING it will bring in the bottom feeders, who you hope to upsell. Now whether they truely need all the extra stuff or not, or if it applies to thier vehicle or not, they are still going to expect the advertised price, after all that is the ONLY reason they came to your shop. The price. These people expect that you got your parts at some HUGE discount and can therefore offer these silly prices.

If you stopped letting people believe that they can get whatever service done for 99 bucks, then people would start learning what a realistic and reasonable price is. People don't throw a fit when you tell them before hand the likely scenerio (extra parts, labor, etc that thier vehicle will probably need) and costs for the job, when it goes from 240 to 260 they generally understand, knowing it is a reasonable price. But when you jump from 99 to 260, yes they throw a fit! They were expecting 99! Even if the 260 is reasonable, they don't believe it because you just told them that 99 dollars is realistic!

Yes jeff, I am saying Auto Zone discounts their parts

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

That is why the name on the sign says "AutoZone Discount Auto Parts". It's the same with advance.

If you want to know what "retail" is, ask them. They sell to everyone at what is known as "jobber" pricing. The counterman can tell you what the "list" price is. THAT is the retail price for the part. Give year, make, model, and I will tell you what the "retail" price is according to NAPA.

The typical mark-up is 2-3 times what the part cost the shop. Doubling the cost, gives the shop a 50% profit. Shops need about 70% to stay open. It is this mark-up that pays for your warranty repairs. My shop charges NAPA list, no matter what the percentage is. Sometimes it's high, sometimes, it's low.

Get over it. The company you work for(unless it's a Government Agency) does the exact same thing to it's customers. This is how you get a paycheck. No business sells the parts for what they paid.

Your analogy about a gracery store works. Winn-Dixie sells at "retail". Publix sells at "discount". Get it?

As for Just Brakes, they don't exist in Florida. They are called Value Brakes. They use the same home office, but operate under different names, depending on what state you live in.

JUST BRAKES MUST GET THERE PARTS FROM ANOTHER PLANET

AUTHOR: Jeff - (U.S.A.)

YOU SAY AUTOZONE IS DISCOUNTING THERE PARTS ? THINK ABOUT THIS I AN 1 CUSTOMER BUYING 1 SET OF BRAKE PADS ? ONE ROTOR ? ONE SET OF BEARINGS ?

ME AS A GREEN PEA WALKING IN OFF THE STREET CAN BUY THESE PARTS AT THE PRICES BELOW ?

RETAIL FOR ROTOR 49.99
RETAIL FOR 2 BEARINGS 4.99 EACH 9.99 FOR PAIR
2 REBUILT CALIPERS 26.00 WITH CORE RETURN !

WHEN A RESTRAUNT BUYS FOOD DO THEY PURCHASE IT IN VOLUME FOR WHAT I DO WHEN I WALK INTO THE GROCERY STORE ? OF DO THEY BUY IT AT A GREATLY REDUCED WHOLESALE RATE ! ( LIKE POTATOES IN 100 POUND SACKS ) !!

WHEN JUST BRAKES BUYS THE ITEMS I MENTIONED ABOVE DO YOU THINK THEY PAY WHAT SOME ONE WALKIG IN OFF THE STREET PAYS ? ( IF YOU DO I HAVE SOME FLORIDA SWAMP LAND FOR YOU ) !

SO THEY BUY THEM AT SOMETHING UNDER WHAT I CAN BUY THEM AT !!

IF WE FIGURE THEY BUY THEM AT JUST A RETAIL PRICE DO YOU FEEL 50.00 FOR 2 BEARINGS THAT COST 9.99 IS A FAIR MARK UP ? THAT IS 400%
DO YOU FEEL THAT 155 FOR A ROTOR WHICH COST 49.99 IS A FAIR MARK UP ? 200%
DO YOU FEEL THAT 150 TO (REBUILD 2 CALIPER) THAT CAN BE PURCHASED RETAIL FOR 26.00 FOR THE PAIR IS A FAIR MARK UP 500 + %
DO YOU FEEL TO CHARGE 60.00 FOR 10 MINUTES TO ATTACH 2 CALIPERS ( THAT WORKS OUT TO 360.00 PER HOUR) IF A FAIR PRICE !

A) 50.00 BEARINGS WERE NOT NEEDED ! ( THE BEARINGS WERE NOT AND ARE NOT BAD !
B) THE CALIPERS DID NOT NEED REPLACED THEY WERE NOT AND ARE NOT BAD !

IM GLAD I WENT THERE ONCE AND ESCAPED WITH ONLY FRUSTRATION AND A WASTED AFTERNOON !
I SEE SO MANY OTHERS WHO HAVE NOT HAE BEEN SO LUCKY !!
JUST BRAKES WILL BE PLEASED TO KNOW I HAVE 2 CONDOS IN FLORIDA AND 4 CARS ! IN THE CONDO BULLETIN BOARD I HAVE POSTED MY EXPERIENCE WITH JUST BRAKES ( IT IS 600-800 ) FAMILIES HEY BUT IF IT SAVES 1 OR 2 PEOPLE FORM WASTED TIEM AND NEEDLESS COSTS IT IS WORTH IT ) !

I DO NOT THINK JUST BRAKES WILL BE IN BUSSINESS LONG THE REPUTATION IS GROWING SWIFTLY AND IN THE WRONG DIRECTION !!
JUST BRAKES --- SHOULD READ (( JUST GREED ))

JUST BRAKES MUST GET THERE PARTS FROM ANOTHER PLANET

RETAIL FOR ROTOR 49.99
RETAIL FOR 2 BEARINGS 4.99 EACH 9.99 FOR PAIR
2 REBUILT CALIPERS 26.00 WITH CORE RETURN !

SO THEY BUY THEM AT SOMETHING UNDER WHAT I CAN BUY THEM AT !!

DO YOU FEEL THAT 155 FOR A ROTOR WHICH COST 49.99 IS A FAIR MARK UP ? 200%

A) 50.00 BEARINGS WERE NOT NEEDED ! ( THE BEARINGS WERE NOT AND ARE NOT BAD !
B) THE CALIPERS DID NOT NEED REPLACED THEY WERE NOT AND ARE NOT BAD !

I SEE SO MANY OTHERS WHO HAVE NOT HAE BEEN SO LUCKY !!

JUST BRAKES --- SHOULD READ (( JUST GREED ))

Stop trying to compare a DISCOUNT part store price to anything else

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

Advance and AutoZone do NOT sell their parts at "retail". They even advertise they sell at a huge discount. DISCOUNT is NOT retail.

The prices you quote are NOT retail. They are the prices from a DISCOUNTER.

Now, stop attempting to equate the prices a part store sells them for, with what a repair shop will charge. ALL shops mark up the parts. Parts mark-up pays the shop's bills. Labor pays for labor.

#8 REBUTTAL Individual responds

RE: JUST BRAKES MANAGMENT / OWNER

AUTHOR: Jeff - (U.S.A.)

YOU ADVERTISE 99.99 FOR 4 WHEEL RELINE ! A SET OF PADS AND A SET OF SHOES ! AND A ROTOR RESURFACE ! (( HOW BOUT SHOWING US YOUR BOOKS ON JUST HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE EVER LEFT ( ANY JUST BRAKE SHOPS FOR THE ADVERTISED 99.99 ) ( MY BET IS (NO ONE ) !! YOU *&*& AND COMPLAIN ABOUT ALL THE PISSED OFF CUSTOMERS !! ( THEY ARE ALL WRONG AND YOU ARE ALL RIGHT !!
EXPLAIN THIS !
I WAS JUST IN ONE OF YOUR SHOPS !
(( WHAT PLANET DO YOU GET YOUR PARTS FROM ))
I WAS TOLD 99.99 FOR 4 WHEEL RELINE ! A SET OF PADS AND A SET OF SHOES AND A ROTOR SURFACING !

I TOLD THE MANAGER I NEEDS A NEW ROTOR HE SAID THAT IS EXTRA AND THE ROTORS ARE 155.00 ! ( I HAVE BOUGHT ROTORS AND I HAVE PUT ON AT LEAST 5 SETS OF FRONT BRAKES ! ( I NEVER HAVE PAID 150 FOR A ROTOR ) SO I TELL HIM I WILL PICK UP A ROTOR ( I JUST WANT THE FRONT PADS A RESURFACE + AND NOTHING DONE TO THE REAR BRAKES ( HE SAYS IT WILL BE 10.00 LESS WITH NO REAR BRAKES ( I SAID OK ) !

I GO TO THE PARTS STORE AND PICK UP THERE BEST ROTOR ( 2 YEAR WARRANTY ) 49.99 ? NOT 155.00 ( WHILE I'M THERE I ASK ABOUT CALIPERS THEY HAVE THEM 26.00 FOR A PAIR READY TO GO ( THEY ARE RETURNABLE SO I BUY A SET IN CASE THEY ARE NEEDED ! I TAKE MY CAR BACK ! HE WRITES UP THE PAPER WORK WE AGREE 80.00 YO DO THE ABOVE MENTIONED WORK !

THEY PULL IN THE CAR AND 10 MINUTES LATER THEY TELL ME TO COME OUT ! THEY TELL ME I NEED NEW WHEEL BEARINGS FOR THE NEW ROTOR AS THE BEARING WILL TURN TO POWDER IF THEY USE IT IN THE NEW ROTOR AS IT IS NOT MATED TO THE DISC ? ( I TELL THEM I HAVE DONE FRONT BRAKES IN THE PAST AND NEVER REPLACED THE BEARINGS UNLESS THEY WERE NOISY OR HAD PLAY IN ? THEY SAID THEY WOULD NOT WARRANTY THE WORK ( I ASK HOW MUCH ) THEY LOOK THE BEARINGS UP ( INNER AND OUTER ) FOR A BUICK ROAD MASTER ( 50.00 ) !! I QUESTION THAT AS THAT IS VERY VERY HIGH FOR A WHEEL BEARING ?

THEN HE TELLS ME THE CALIPERS NEED REBUILT ! ( OK I SAID FINE THERE IS A SET IN THE TRUNK NEW READY TO GO ! HE SAID THEY CHARGE 60.00 TO CONNECT THE FITTINGS AND PUMP THE BRAKES ( THAT IS WHEN I LOST IT ) !! I SAID IT TAKES A WRENCH ! NO SPECIAL TOOLS IT TAKES 10 MINUTES AT BEST TO CONNECT THEM BOTH !! ( FIGURE IT OUT ILL GIVE YOU 15 MINUTES ) !! THAT IS 240.00 PER HOUR !! I SAID PUT IT BACK TOGETHER ILL GET IT DONE ELSE WERE !

I CALL THE PARTS STORE AND ASK ABOUT THE BEARINGS ( WE HAVE THEM THEY ARE IN STOCK ) 4.99 EACH ( DO I NEED TO REPLACE THEM IF I PUT ON A NEW ROTOR )? ( NO ONLY IF THEY ARE WORN OR SHOW OVER HEATING OR HAVE PLAY ) !!

I TAKE THE CAT TO A SHOP WHO HAS BEEN IN BUSINESS FOE 30 YEARS ! TELL THEM ONE ROTOR IS SHOT THE NEW ONE IS IN THE TRUNK AND I WANT LIFE TIME PADS AND A ROTOR RESURFACE ! AND TO CHECK THE CALIPERS ! I COME BACK THE NEXT DAY THE CAR IS READY 46.00 FOR THE PADS 75.00 LABOR . HE CHECKED THE CALIPERS ( HE SAID THEY WERE FINE ) I ASKED HIM ABOUT THE WHEEL BEARING HE SAID IT WAS FINE AND HE HAS NEVER REPLACED WHEEL BEARINGS UNLESS THEY SHOWED WEAR OR PLAY ! (HE HAS ONLY BEEN DOING THIS FOR 30 YEARS ) THE CAR IS GREAT. STOPS IN A STRAIGHT LINE 129.83
JUST BRAKES !!

YOU REALLY NEED A NEW NAME MAYBE JUST GREED ! WHEN YOU GO TO A JUST BRAKES (( YOU WILL NEVER EVER GET JUST BRAKES )) MANAGEMENT IS WELL TRAINED TO SEE THAT YOU LEAVE WITH WAY MORE THAN YOU NEED ) AND THEY EXTRACT WAY MORE OUT OF YOUR WALLET THAN YOU EVER COULD EXPECT ! ( THIEVES ) !
ROTOR 150 FULL RETAIL 49.99 2 YEAR WARRANTY
WHEEL BEARINGS 50.00 FULL RETAIL 10.00
CALIPER REBUILD 150.00 REBUILT CALIPERS(2) 26.00
400%-500% MARK UP OVER FULL RETAIL !
THE MOTTO AT JUST BRAKES
WALK SOFTLY AND CARRY A GREASED STICK

Al YES I totally agree,,,IN MOST CASES

AUTHOR: Jennifer - (U.S.A.)

Nobody wants to hear that part on the advertisement IN MOST CASES. If they did I bet there would be alot less complaints. Dumb people that think 99.88 will fix their brakes for the rest of their vehicles life are just plain dumb.

I was taught to check the fine print ! Listen to the whole ad people, most cases is if you keep your car very well maintained, and don't ride with their foot on the brake constantly, and don't want to get repaired what SHOULD be repaired when it needs to be by FACTORY STANDARDS!

But all you thinking your ASE CERTIFIED and know it alls should just bite the bullet and be quiet. TIRED OF DUMMIES!!!!

Your Advertisement ..it's still lying.

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

You people at JB call the consumer "stupid" when they believe your advertisement for the $99.95 four-wheel brake relign. Do you only make this claim to get the stupid consumer in your shop, knowing it'll be more? Lying on the front end or lying on the back end.....it's still lying.

#11 UPDATE EX-employee responds

To Al @Houston#85

AUTHOR: Mikey - (U.S.A.)

You do a fine job of reciting the "sacred phone track" Corp would be proud of you....What dont you include the fact that when a customer calls you on the phone with a "wheel related problem" i.e squeeks, grinds, and pulls; that your response (and only response according to your training) is that "from what you are saying it sounds like you need a friction reline".

Now you know as well as i do that a symptom of severe grinding aint gonna be fixed by replacing pads, shoes, and machining rotors and drums; but you will NOT address that fact unless the customer inquires and then you have another B.S. prefab answer for that question too. Dumb consumers or clever misinformation. J.B. didn't get all these complaints cause the consumer is a dumb--s.

Who told you that a match burns at 1600 degrees???

Now a butane torch burns around 1600 degrees, but a match???...LOL. A match flame burns around half that temperature, or slightly above 800 degrees.

$99.88 in MOST cases

AUTHOR: Al - ()

I've been looking over all of these reports on Just Brakes for some time now, looking for a complaint against my shop. I haven't found one. This post seems as good as any. Your Tundra has only been in production a few years, and has larger rear brakes than a Chevy Suburban, which has a light duty 3/4 ton brake system.

The Tundra ads on TV that I have seen boast a 1 ton capacity. The rear drums on a Suburban are 11 5/32" diameter. Your Tundra's are 11 5/8" diameter. Very few 1/2 ton trucks have rear drums this large.

MOST 1/2 ton trucks, small trucks, and cars have rear drums 11" or smaller. The four wheel friction reline applies to 1/2 ton trucks and smaller with drums 11" or smaller(recently changed to 11.99" or smaller, mostly to stop complaints like yours, nevermind that shoes this size cost 2-3 times the smaller shoes and almost as much as 3/4 and 1 ton truck shoes) that we stock the pads and shoes for (over 90% of the 1/2 ton trucks, small trucks, and cars I see we do stock pads and shoes for)

Most of the complaints I've seen stem from the customer not listening to what they are told.

"Just Brakes four wheel friction reline includes replacing disc pads and brake shoes, machining rotors and drums, packing bearings, bleed flush and adjust the brake system, and inspect the balance of the brake system for any other problems. Just brakes four wheel friction reline is just $99.88 in most cases." That is the deal, but nobody listens. I tell this to people several times a day. The replies to this are usually along the line of asking if something I already told them is included for the price of: $98.99, $99.95, $99.99, etc... I don't remember anyone ever saying $99.88. "Does that include turning the rotories?","Is that all our wheels?", "So I get a complete brake job for...", etc...

A complete brake job depends on your definition. The brake manufacturers (The people that make the brakes that came on the car: Bendix, Delco, Kelsey Hayes, Sumitomo, Akebono, Girling, Lucas, and so on.) not Chevy, Ford, DaimlerChrysler, Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi, BMW, Volvo, and so on, recommend replacing hardware, rebuilding calipers, and new return springs EVERY time brake service is performed. The brakes on a car is the send hottest part of the car. It contains many rubber components. Please take a moment to consider what 1,200 degrees does to rubber. A match flame is about 1,600 degrees, and I'm not aware of any rubber components in the exhaust system.(the hottest part of a car) We can no longer "recommend" repairs due to the fact that a judge has ruled that the average customer is too stupid know the difference between needs and recommend. That judge might be right.

I could go on and on about this, but it it getting late and I have to get up early tomorrow and deal with a whole new group of people calling me a liar, cheat and thief, because they cannot, will not, and refuse to believe that brakes are more than pads and shoes, my neighbor can change my entire brake system for $100, I've done several brake jobs and never had to do that(Why are you here and I've only worked at low volume shops so I only see about 2,500 cars per year, but you obviously know more about brakes than I do), I only want the $88.99 job and it better not squeak or dust my $5,000 wheels, I came in here last year and got a complete brake job for $100 and my cousins neighbor's brother who knows about cars said was too much for some brakes, and you tried to sell me a bunch of other s**t I didn't need, now it squeaks and you better fix it for free, and so on and so on.....

Al
Shop Foreman
Just Brakes #85

#17 0

This "Report" is typical of the American Driving Public

Their relationship to the company: Advocate

Rebuttal:
This "Report" is typical of the American Driving Public. Most auto owners have no clue as to what types and frequency of maintanience is necesary to operate a modern automobile. A modern autombile requires extensive mainteniance performed at reguarly scheduled intervals. (I teach my customers to simply open the glove box and READ the owner's manual provided by the manufacturer for advise.) Yes I am in the auto repair
business, and I have spent the last few days reading some of these "Rip-Off" reports concerning auto service and billings.It is unfortunate that when it comes to factory scheduled maintenance most drivers have absolutely no idea what is needed or when. The most common complaint I see is something has failed (could be any system or part) and once the estimate for repair is written the common response is " How can that be?,
This is a new car with only XX,000 miles on it". Well actually it is a 3 year old car with 50,000 miles on it and other than spotty oil chnages and tire inflations it is lacking approximately 12 service visits for maintenance and inspection, now it has a pricey repair needed and the customer feels "ripped-off". If only that vehicle had been seen on a
regular basis the failed repair could have been avoided by some basic maintenance. My favorite anology is the man who refuses to go to the dentist until he can no longer stand the pain, at which time the dentist asks" when was the the last time you had your teeth checked or when did you last brush them?". Suddenely it sinks in that a few trips to the dentist and some brushing on his part could have avoided a mouthful of "roadwork". The other customer is one who owns the $30,000 late model
cruiser who is looking for the absolute least expensive repair regardless of quality and longevity, (however this customer wants the parts and labor to be covered until "Old Betsy" finally meets her maker or is traded and covered with a "LIFETIME WARRANTY" for repairs at a "COUPON PRICE". I wish
the public would wise up to the fact that in a truly democratic/competetive society you truly get what you pay for. When selling Auto Repair by the pound you sometimes get a bad burger. IF GM wasnt able to install a new brake system on your $30,000 truck for $99.99 then what makes you think that ABC or XYZ or Alphabet Soup Auto Repair can do so?. Some older models of vehicles MAY be repaired for the coupon price offered but not MOST cars/trucks. As newer and newer more technologically
advanced vehicles kepp coming from Detroit, Tokyo, South Korea and Europe with ever increasing price tags it is only logical that the costs of repairing theses buggies will increase also. Therefore when I hear people cry and whine on sites such as these that they were "Ripped-Off" for service and repairs I take there whining with a grain (sometimes a box) of salt. Within the industry I'm sure there are alot of incompetent techncians, managers, and service writers who for whatever reason some
people had the misfortune to encounter. Most reputable shops will make every effort to correct a problem and satisfy the customer to the best of his/her ability. Yet as in EVERY industry it is impossible to please all of the people all of the time. The key is to please as many people as possible by treating all of them fairly. P.S. I'll continue to read and
respond to these sites and postings....The amusement factor is priceless for us "real technicians"..

#18 0

This is typical of the American Driving Public

Their name: mr pkusa

Their relationship to the company: Advocate

Rebuttal:

This is typical of the American Driving Public. Here is the "type II" customer. We'll get to him soon. Most people driving on our highways have no clue as to what old betsy needs as far as factory schedlued maintenace and service intervals are needed to her her on the road. Yes I am in the Auto Repair business and have been for over 20 years.

I see on a daliy basis what the effects of lack of maintenace are as well as some customers who outright abuse there vehicles. In the glove box is a book called the Owners Manual, this unfortuneatly is not required reading when owning a vehicle.Outlined in the owners manual is the factory schedulded

manitainence tables with adjustments for light/medium and severe duty use and the defenitions of same. Many times I will see a customer who has had a pricey failure of some component or system complain that "its still a new car why is it broken?". This is the the Type I customer. I use the anology that when Type I waits to visit the dentist as he can no longer

stand the pain (like his leak or noise from under the hood) when the dentist reminds him that a few cleanings and check ups could have prevented the major roadwork about to take place maybe he'll remember his car. And about his car, well to be honest it is no longer a "new" car It now is a 3 year old car with 50,000 miles on it (no longer covered by the manufacturer's warranty) and in need of repair. Additionally when asked

for service records most customers can only produce spotty oil change and tire inflation records.

None of the 12 or so scheduled maintenances were performed up to this point which is why this or that system failed.Remember we're not pulling teeth here just recommending that he care for the second largest financial investment he will make in his

lifetime.

The Type II customer on the other hand wants to have his $30,000

cruiser repaired at absolutely the least cost regardless of quality or longevity for the "Coupon Price". (and have old betsy covered by a lifetime all-inclusive warranty until the old girl is dead or retired).

If GM is unable to perform a complete brake system reline for $99.00 (with all of it's resources) then how can type II expect ABC, XYC or Alphabet Soup Auto Repair to do the same.In this highly competeitive marketplace you truly get what you pay for. (and I dont remember hearing that "Profit" is against the law in a freemarket society, I'm sure neither Type I or II would take a paycut to give a "special customer a deal" on a daily basis

at their place of employment).

Yet as these new vehicles become more and more technologically advanced, and the investment by owners and techncians in education and equipment becomes greater and greater does he still think he should get the $20.00 "quick fix" on his baby? If so there are many immigrant shops still around that would love for the opportunity to make some "easy" money. (AS type II sees it). I'm sure that there are incompetent technicians, managers, service writers, etc. as there is in all professions. (When was the last report you saw on medical malpractice or bad roofers, or bad plumbers on the evening news?) But all true reputable shops when faced with a customer service issue will do what ever

is necessary to correct the situation in the customers benefit at all costs. (At least at all the places I've had the pleasure to work in.) I recently found this site and am amused by the "reports" some of these people offer.

At first I was offended by some of the reports and asked out loude many questions that the "unsuspecting consumer" neglected to include. Now I find it a source of amusement and will follow some of these "reports" closley, offering my opinion when I feel it is necessary. If you would like to email please feel free to do so as I feel that I may take some sort of role here....

Thanks...

#19 0

All I can say is ...

Their name: Nitelord

Their relationship to the company: Consumer Suggestion

Rebuttal:

Alright, first of all, you should know that even if you CAN get a deal like that for a hundred dollars, it isn't gonna be that smart because the parts themselves cost around $100. But you people are too ignorant to understand this. All I can say is I hope your not the people driving behind me with faulty brakes because you found some cheap a*s that will work on cheap a*s peoples cars.