Complaint Review: Jack Manning

• Updated: Thu, March 13, 2014

• Reported By: archie1823 — Chicago Illinois
Jack Manning
1OO E 14th Street, Chicago lL 60605 4th Floor Unit chicago, Illinois USA

Jack Manning AKA GYAN ASARE-MICHAEL Rental Fraud, Tried to sublet a studio apartment unit in a building that he did not live in and which did not have even have a unit on the floor and apartment promised in the lease contract, had me wire transfer a security deposit and one month's rent amount to his account. chicago Illinois

A man who goes by the name of Jack Manning emailed me after I had inquired about a rental property in Chicago. I was not in the city at that time but desperately searching for an apartment to move into within the next week as I had just been accepted into an educational program and was to begin my term the following week. We corresponded via email and he sent me pictures of the apartment with explicit details and a legitimate looking advertisement that reflected what I had seen in the internet posting on Hotpads.com. It was a 1 bedroom unit fully furnished in Chicago close enough to the transit lines as I had been searching for. He sent me a lease contract agreement that also looking completely legitimate (mind you I had not seen what a true lease agreement was actually supposed to look like till much later) and said that even though i was still overseas we could electronically sign and handle the paperwork. I looked it over signed it and sent it back to him to which he replied that he required one month's rent and a security deposit in order to place a hold on the apartment till I arrived and to ensure that no one else could take it in the mean time as it was apparently a very hot pick and many others were interested. He sent me details for a wire transfer to be made to his family member's Chase Account in the amount of 2250$USD. I found it slightly strange at first but I had never dealt with renting an apartment especially in a big city like Chicago and figured it was a custom or the usual norm to put down a security deposit. I transferred the funds immediately over a wire transfer from my bank and sent him an email with the details of the transfer. He quickly responded and produced another legitimate receipt of payment slip with his details and the amount he had recieved. I arrived in Chicago like a fool on the day I was to move in with all my 4 suitcases and no hotel to stay at. I went to the apartment building listed on the contract at 10:30am a preset time we had both agreed upon to meet and transfer keys and whatnot. I waited for over an hour in the lobby till the conceirge asked me who I was waiting for. I told him about the resident Jack Manning in unit 401 who was to meet me. He pulled up his computer and looked up the guy's name and said that no one by that name lived there. At this point I told him that couldnt be possible and showed him my contract and the apartment number listed as #401. To which he then responded sadly saying that there was no 4th floor in the building at all even, and that the first four floors of the building were just parking garages. I was devastated, stranded, dooped, and felt like a fool without any place to go. This man caused me a lot of headache and tension over the next 10 days where I was literally living out of a cheap hotel, desperately apartment hunting without any help in a new city, no idea where I was going, or how the transit system even worked, and also trying to manage going to my classes. It was a difficult time for me and i wish it upon no one else. I learned a valuable lesson, never to put any money down until I saw the place myself no matter how desperate or how far away I was and convenient he made it all seem. He not only took 2250 out of me but he took a little bit of my faith in humanity along with him. Please be careful out there, anyone who is searching, do not transfer money and do not let what happened to me happen to you again. Never ever wire transfer anything, and do not agree to anything no matter how legitimate all the paperwork and pictures may seem.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/13/2014 07:39 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Jack-Manning/chicago-Illinois-60606/Jack-Manning-AKA-GYAN-ASARE-MICHAEL-Rental-Fraud-Tried-to-sublet-a-studio-apartment-unit-1130602. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Jack Manning