Complaint Review: James Haarsma

• Updated: Sat, January 25, 2014

• Reported By: John — Mesa Arizona
James Haarsma
Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

James Haarsma Michael Harris Pretended to work for twitter to sell twitter advertising and make me twitter verified. All to just steal money, scam Milwaukee Wisconsin

I got a direct message from someone on twitter stating that he knew someone named Michael Harris who can make me twitter verified, which he done already for himself.  He asked for my email address which I provided.  Shortly after, I got an email from someone claiming to be Michael Harris using a gmail account (should have been my first red flag) and informed me that he works for twitter adverting UK and could get my twitter account verified by me ordering an advertising package for him.  He said it would cost $500.  I asked him why $500 since I heard that twitter charges $15,000 in ads to become verified, and he said that's only for the general public, not for this great oppurtunity. I didn't respond for two days, then I got another direct message from that one person asking if I talked to Michael Harris.  I then responded to the email again and decided to give it a try.  Big mistake.  I don't normal fall for internet scams, but I unfortunately did with this one.  He asked me to send the money to his "assistant" email address which belongs to James Haarsma and provide him my twitter account handle, and website link.  Once payment was made, he sent me another email saying that the full $500 wasn't paid due to paypal fees in which paypal charges the seller and asked me send him another $15 which I did.

Then later that night, I got another email from him saying that he submitted my account for verification and it did not go through.  He said don't worry, we just need to select a bigger adverting package and told me to send him an additional $200.  I said I cannot do that since my budget is very tight.  He told me that if I wanted, I can cancel my order.  I told him that I would like to do that and informed him to refund my money.  He told me that no refunds are given and he could still provide $500 worth of twitter advertising for my account.  He informed me that my advertising started and is running.  I asked for proof so far so I can see the stats since I don't see any new followers following my twitter account.  He mention there is no such thing.  That's totally ridiculous because twitter has all kinds of reporting made to the public and since he worked for twitter, this should be an easy ask.   I then asked him why he didn't check if my account was eligible for verification prior to collecting my $500 and he told me that he would suspend my twitter account if I asked further and does not tolerate disrespect (since he claims to work for twitter).

I then get an email from him asking me to sign an agreement with him for the adverting which only has my name for $500 for twitter advertising, not his, not twitter, nor any other company...just my name which further shows this guy is a scam artist.  I then googled the email address in which the paypal payments were made, it showed it belongs to James Haarsma.  I asked him who that was he responded "James is a former basketball player & does indeed have partnership with us here at twitter UK in the advertising department. However, James isn't a direct twitter employee. James duty is to take all orders & contact us when a payment has been made."  I still insisted that I wanted some proof that advertising was happening and that he really works for twitter.  He told me he refuses to show proof and told me that the advertising was complete.  How can it be complete when I see zero followers?  If I start my own twitter advertising campaign with twitter for $5, I would see actual followers come in, at least 10-30...yet he said that he used all of my funds...$500 worth.  He said that my account was shown to millions of people, but followers are not guaranteed.  I did not get 1 person follow.  I then asked him for proof that he works for twitter by sending me an email from his work twitter account.  He refused and then told me that he will not be communicating anymore and that he provided the services.  He was right, he did not respond anymore after that.  I then put in a dispute with paypal as this is an obvious scam and a crime.  Paypal reviewed the evidence, saw that I was in the right, and refunded my money.  I also filed a criminal complaint with the internet crime center as this is internet fraud; he was looking to steal my money from the very beginning.  I also know he does not work for twitter, all a scam.  He allegedly is James trying to scam people for money.  I decided to file this report too, just in case he does this to others, I don't want anyone else to fall for this scam either.  I admit, I was a sucker.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/25/2014 11:24 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/James-Haarsma/Milwaukee-Wisconsin/James-Haarsma-Michael-Harris-Pretended-to-work-for-twitter-to-sell-twitter-advertising-an-1118399. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on James Haarsma