Complaint Review: James Madison Inc

• Updated: Wed, November 30, 2011

• Reported By: Kari — Grants Pass Oregon United States of America
James Madison Inc

James Madison Inc Travel Book Scam Internet

*Author of original report: This guy is a joke

*General Comment: Be Warned of a new name

*UPDATE Employee: Lesson: Do not turn someone down for a story

I was called at my restaurant regarding placement in a travel book, "Favorites along Oregon I-5" and was told we were chosen to be interviewed. Was led to believe book was something like Frommers or Fodor. When the man Bill, and his partner came in to interview me, it was made clear that while placement in the "full color hardbound book" was free, we were required to purchase a minimum of 10 books to sell ourselves, each costing us 39.95. These books supposedly had been featured in Barnes and Noble, as well as on Amazon. The whole thing stunk, so I told them I would need to consult with the owner and would get back to them.
They came back in about a week later and told them we didn't think it was for us, that our advertising dollars were limited and needed to be spent wisely. Bill began to get angry and kept stressing that it wasn't advertising and it was "free". I reminded him that it wasn't "free" because we had to buy the books. He then said that they would buy the books back if we weren't able to sell them. We asked him how long it would take for the books to be published and he said about a year. It would then be another year before they would consider buying the books back. Red flag #1. We told him we had been approached with this offer before, and he insisted that he never had. The owner said "well we've heard this spiel before", and Bill flipped his lid. He then started to say how if we thought it was a spiel then we were unfit to be part of his book. He said, and I quote, "well we were in here for lunch yesterday and it was shit." He then began recounting how he had talked to other businesses in town and they all thought our restaurant was no good also. The owner tried to rectify the situation by saying that he didn't mean "spiel" like a con, just as in we had heard the proposal before. Immediately Bill did a 180 and suddenly became nice again. Red flag #2.
After they left I began researching the company. I looked up the web address and it was very vague and looked like it had been made in 15 minutes. Red flag #3. I then Googled and reverse directoried the phone number, and nothing showed up. Red flag #4. After extensive searching with the address, I found a business listed, not James Madison Inc. It belonged to a design company. I called the number on the website and a woman answered. I verified the address and she said she neither shared a space nor was affiliated in any way with James Madison Inc. She said she had been there for 5 years. Big Red Flag #5.
The men had showed me a book that they had "made" sometime back that was for the Oregon Coast. I recognised some of the names and called the businesses. None of them had heard of the book or recalled giving permission to be included in it. Ever. Red flag #6.
I searched Barnes and Noble and Amazon for anything under guide books or anything by James Madison publishing. I got nothing. Red flag #7.
Now I was sure that this was a scam and I began calling local businesses and telling them my story. Some hadn't heard from them and some of them had fallen prey. I told those that did to cancel any checks right away. I spoke to a local bakery who had talked to them and the owner told me Bill got really hostile and threatening when she told them she wasn't interested. Another thing that was weird was how these guys kept telling everyone different things about where they were from. They told me they were from New York City, they told the bakery they were from Washington, and they told two other businesses they were from Los Angeles and San Francisco.
I then Googles Bill's name, William Faubion. Suprise! Here he was, on RipoffReport, scamming people from 2 and 3 years ago, under a different business name, Morgan & Chase Publishing. The business was even headquartered here in southern oregon.
So basically what it comes down to is don't fall victim to the travel book trap. It's a joke!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/09/2011 09:37 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/James-Madison-Inc/internet/James-Madison-Inc-Travel-Book-Scam-Internet-693361. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on James Madison Inc

This guy is a joke

AUTHOR: Kari - (United States of America)

His "business practices" have been filed with the local police, the local newspaper, this website and the Better Business Bureau. Safe to say he won't be showing his face in our town again. His MO seems to be to start a travel book company under a name, usually something of historical signifigance, take people's money, go bankrupt, then start up a new company with a new moniker. DO NOT FALL VICTIM. I especially like how he shows up on this site in person, trying to cover his tracks. Nice spelling and grammar Mr. Hotshot Writer. Looked up Gable and Grey: they're apparently headquartered in Ashland, OR, but the website has been suspiciously shut down. Just give it up!

#2 General Comment

Be Warned of a new name

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (United States of America)

This individual is now covering the Portland area and Washington state area. He is now going by William Clark. To my knowledge, no one who has purchased into this book has been featured on any website nor have they received a proof of this publication. They are being called Gable & Gray and Gable & Grey. Scam alert!! Claims have been filed with the Better Business Bureau.

Lesson: Do not turn someone down for a story

AUTHOR: Bill Faubion - (United States of America)

I am writing a rebuttal to the mis-statments of the person that wrote that we were some kind of rip-off.  First we turned them down they did not turn us down and that is why she is so mad.  She wrote total lies for one she was the daughter of the owner, two we told him when we came back about negative comments customers of the restaurant had made just trying to be helpful so they could change the mistakes.  We also had dined at the restuarant the day before we came back to see the father and I personally told him the food was great that I had eaten even though the daughter wrote something else here.  I also have been the authoir of over 40 books and they all have been delivered.  I guess you can write anything about anyone on this rip off report with no real legal problems to follow.  The book that she is writing about is ahead of shedule and will be released in Spring of 2012 and if someone goes to Amazon.com and pull up my name they will see all the books that I have written and have delivered to anyone that has paid something for them.  I might ad that we had our attorney file a cease and disist order against this person and we are looking at our other legal option since we are a legitimate firm writing an important book to promote the favortie places along Interstat 5 in Oregon and Washington State.  If we were a scam why would I put my real name on this report and why would I even reply to this misrepresentation of the facts.  She tried to imply that I had not written the book on the oregon coast look it up on Amazon it is titled Treasures on the Oregon Coast By William Faubion...I have written many pages about many places and I have had a few people write something negative about me personally.

I never let it get to me since I knew when I turn people down to be in the book it hurts their feelings.  What I did not tell you is she called around to other businesses and they cancelled  our legal agreement and for that she is in some legal jeprody.   I would not even write this rebuttal but I think I had to do something and if your business gets on this report as most large companies do

it only goes to prove that if you dont pay $2000.00 to get off the report this is the only thing you can do is write the truth.  I guess the truth will be known when our beautiful book is release on time Spring 2012, and you have my personal guarantee that will happen...