ED Magedson – Founder
Jasper ContractorsAtlanta, Georgia Colorado Springs, Colorado United States of America
Jasper Contractors Broken Contract Colorado Springs, Colorado
Company: Jasper Contractors
RE: Hail Damage (Summer 2010)
House & Shed Re-Roofing Work
Negotiations started 22OCT10
Work started 14JAN11
Note: The re-roofing work on the house is still not complete, as of 04DEC11, as Jasper acknowledged in their written response to the H/Os complaint to the Better Business Bureau (BBB), and as confirmed by the El Paso County Regional Building Inspectors.
Major contractual agreements:
H/Os insurance company determines the Replacement Cost Value (RCV), NOT Jasper.
The H/O pays for the insurance deductable part of the RCV.
The H/O pays for the I&W shield upgraded part of the RCV, past Regional code requirements.
Jasper agrees to accept insurance company's RCV.
Jasper is to correspond and negotiate with the insurance compancy for the H/O on all roofing issues.
NO payment is due until both house & shed roofs are completed and pass inspection.
(All details are available on request.)
(1) Jasper did not honor their written contract with the H/O (23 of 25 contractual promises were broken ~ a complete list is available on request).
(2) Jaspers re-roofing estimates were incorrect (e.g., starting with the 1st estimate with the correct house & shed roof sizes, three subsequent estimates were presented to the H/O, each with increasingly larger house roof sizes/shapes and with corresponding increases in labor/material costs).
(3) Jaspers estimates were never corrected (after repeated promises from Jasper to correct their faulty estimates and i) to restore the roofs sizes to their originally accepted areas on the 1st estimate and to correct the distorted plan-view of the house roof, ii) to correct the number of starter-strips actually used, and iii) to correct the number of ridge-caps actually used.)
(4) In addition to the H/Os original signature on the contract, Jasper requested a second signature from the H/O on the inflated estimate, supposedly to confirm that the H/O has agreed to select Jasper as their roofing contractor. (Note: the H/O signed the estimate only under the condition that the final estimate would be corrected by Jasper.)
(5) Jaspers work is still NOT complete (as of 04DEC11).
(6) Jasper requested an early draw on uncompleted work [the H/O paid Jasper $43,607.18 (plus a $500 Discount Coupon) on 18JAN11 ~ early, not required]. That check included insurance company payments to that date and more than half of the H/O's upgraded RCV (with the coupon).
(7) The H/O paid Jasper $1,000 in full on 24FEB11 for the insurance deductable part of the RCV (early, not required)
(8) The H/O paid Jasper in full on 24FEB11 for the corrected, upgraded costs of the RCV (early, not required).
(9) Jasper did not correspond or negotiate with the insurance company for the H/O over the RCV, as promised. The insurance company only received Jaspers 4th inflated estimate and is waiting on Jaspers corrected estimate before they determine the RCV.
(10) Jasper now expects the H/O (NOT the insurance compancy) to pay for extra materials not used on the H/Os roofs.
(11) Jasper is now demanding full payment from the H/O (NOT the insurance company) of the RCV (as determined by Jasper, NOT the insurance company) before the re-roofing work is complete (the final bill is not due yet, nor is the RCV decided upon and approved by the insurance company at this time).
(12) Jasper refuses (as stated in Jaspers BBB response) to complete the work (as of 04DEC11) ~ original estimate (1 day), now close to 1 year later.
(13) The house roof failed inspection on three counts, the shed roof has never been inspected.
(14) The house and shed roofs were not installed according to the manufacturers installation instructions for composite shakes (starter-strip spacing problems and minimum keyhole separation violations).
(15) Jaspers re-roofing work was not performed in a workman like manner, as required.
(16) Jaspers did not send their best roofing crew, as promised. Jaspers roofing crew was untrained, confused, and not knowledgeable about how to install composite shake shingles (Jasper had to re-start the roofing installation three times).
(17) There are numerous extra unfilled nail holes in the I&W shield (from the three false roofing starts), which was not replaced before each re-roofing attempt, resulting in potential ice-damming problems.
(18) Jasper placed an unjustifiable, illegal lien on the H/Os house, before any payment was due.
(19) Jasper illegally sent the H/O to collections, before any payment was due.
(20) Jasper is threatening to take additional legal actions against the H/O for a non-existent bill.
I have been harassed by the President of Jasper (Carl McNair) on three separate occasions to pay in full a non-existent bill for the RCV of my house and shed roofs, the price of which will later be determined by my insurance company, NOT Jasper, after the re-roofing work has been completed and has passed inspection by the El Paso County Regional Building Inspectors. Jasper placed an unjustifiable, illegal lien on my house before any payment was due, sent me to collections, and is taking additional legal actions against me. Apparently, Jasper cannot read, understand, and follow their own contract with me. Jasper has broken their contract with me many times, and is not willing to acknowledge and correct their many mistakes in their poor attempt to re-roof my house and shed, and who now expect overpayment for their own self-imposed errors and additional labor and material expenses. Jaspers work was of poor quality, was not performed in a workmanlike manner, and did not follow the manufacturers installation instructions. I question Jaspers integrity, ethics, and honesty, based on what I now believe was a deliberate attempt by Jasper to exaggerate their re-roofing estimates, since they now refuse to correct their over-estimates, as promised many times. This complaint againt Jasper is submitted in hopes that other potential customers of Jasper will NOT use them for anything, anytime, anywhere!
This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/04/2011 04:40 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Jasper-Contractors/Colorado-Springs-Colorado-/Jasper-Contractorsnbsp-Broken-Contract-Colorado-Springs-Colorado-804912. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.
Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content
If you would like to see more Rip-off Reports on this company/individual, search here:Search Tips
In order to assure the best results in your search:
Advertisers above have met our
strict standards for business conduct.