Complaint Review: Jasper Engines

• Submitted: Sun, April 20, 2003
  • Updated: Thu, April 12, 2012

• Reported By:tamaqua Pennsylvania
Jasper Engines
Po Box 650 Jasper IN 47547-0650 Jasper, Indiana U.S.A.

Jasper Engines Warranty ripoff cheated and screwed the customers even more when engine broke down Jasper Indiana

*Consumer Comment: The jasper engine complaint seem typical,because ive been there done that never will again

*General Comment: Jasper Quality

*Consumer Comment: prospective client

*Consumer Comment: When all else fails, try to make others look stupid.

*Consumer Comment: Jasper Engines And Transmissions Still the best there is.

*UPDATE Employee: Let's consider everybody's position on this and any future warranty concerns...

*UPDATE Employee: Firestone did the repairs--did they speak to us prior?

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: You spoke-up, many don't. ..Most people are embarrased when they are ripped-off and won't admitt their error

Jasper Engines, would not comply with Warranty for Engine Failure.

Engine quite working properly, while on Christmas Vacation to see daughter. Being towed to Roanoke Va. spending just over $2500.00 too have repaired, and cover our living expenses while waiting for repairs and lose of work time (TWO DAY'S) for two out of four of us.
Jasper engine heads failed to preform properly, and allowed water to bypass into the rest of the motor.
Firestone needed the heads to trade for the new ones for repairs to be made.

Repairs were made and Jasper refuses to honor the warranty we have on the engine.
Jasper personel and supervisors have all been Rude, and hang up on you if you try to force the issue, and make them understand what had happened. They have not honored the Warranty and refuse to do so. No Contact has been made or attempted by the owners of Jasper and attempts to reach them have failed or been ignored.

Jasper products are not honored by Jasper if they break and they do not plan on giving in to demands of Payment or reimburments you put out of your pocket to fix the problems you'll get, nor do they handel complaints well. I REPEAT :::DO NOT BUY JASPER ENGINE OR TRANSMISSION PRODUCTS< or you will suffer the same setbacks we are dealing with now!!!!!!

tamaqua, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/20/2003 05:38 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Jasper-Engines/Jasper-Indiana-47547-0650/Jasper-Engines-Warranty-ripoff-cheated-and-screwed-the-customers-even-more-when-engine-br-53664. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Jasper Engines

AUTHOR: Matt - (United States of America)

First off I have to say I am sorry to anyone who has to deal with an jasper issue. I had the sort of the same issue well I guess not mine was the whole engine. My vehicle was a 2007 ford escape,@ 60,400 miles the engine went out thanks ford.....having worked on cars and taking two years of automotive schooling everyone always talked about jasper performance...ladaladalada..whatever so I thought that if I need an engine redone ill buy a jasper best of the best ....wrong. First off let me say yes accidents do happen when manfacturing rebuilding whatever you want to call it,having said that I will now say my first engine died at 25000 mile old if thats should be old for an engine. To replace this engine I had to run $750.00 worth of test and was to be reimbursed a portion of the hourly rate if it was determined engine failure,it was,then was accused by a employee that I had someone do internal work thats why a washer to the crank was missing inside the engine when the dealership perform and inspection internally according to jaspers methods of determine cause,mind u the whole time the dealership and I had to struggle for 2 weeks to get jasper tech support to respond,eventually I asked for a supervisor,when he pulled up my file the conversations and dealership readings/test results werent noted and as I went through may conversation out what happen he would say I dont know anything about that. After I got done faxing results to him I said r u going to fix this he said well,then I said maybe I need to consult legal advise then he said I will send a motor straight out to you I said fine he said but you will have to pay and we will reimburse u for a portion of the labor. 2100 bill yeppy....then the engine was fixed ,for 2400 mile,yep internal failure again except this time it was at additional cost damaged my cooling system,oil leaked from my engine into a coolant passage internally and was bubbling in my coolant hold tank.everything was contaminated 2800 to fix needless to say they sent another engine said I would have to pay again I was screwed on my cooling system they wouldnt acknowledge it was there fault and still hadnt received my check,took over a month. I did end up selling the car to a mechanic at the dealership after my tradin figure didnt work out at multiple places paid the car off got 700 dollars. The car in good running condition was worth 11000 it was the worst buisness decision ive made. Jasper got there money I hope they spend it on training both customer service and manfacturing, I might even say get restructuring done,because as one of my favorite actors once said,"its a mad house",and customer service is the least of their concerns. Go on take the money and run,would never recommend again and if asked my story will be one of my life long depressing tales. So keep smiling jasper hopefully it doesnt catch up with u.

#2 General Comment

Jasper Quality

AUTHOR: Louis Davidson - (United States of America)

I've had great results with their products.  Sounds like there were many bad decisions, starting with Firestone.  For some reason, I doubt you were "awarded" a new engine by the courts.  Sounds like you could of handled the situation much better.  5 engines.  over one million combined miles from them... I've had a very good experience...

prospective client

AUTHOR: Marcus - (United States of America)

I am 37.  I built my first engine on my kitchen table in '90 and first trans in the kitchen sink.  Yes I was a bachelor.  I am currently on engine #421 with one total failure. I sold an experimental engine to myself, not fullly understanding my modified valvetrain geometry in '96.  It ran just fine, with sub-par performance.  The last engine of red-neck type rebuild was on my from porch (new and mandated build quarters) seven years ago. I saw the car a couple of months ago running strong.  NOW?  What am I trying to say? pat pat on the back.  nope.  Don't care about that.  It started out as a hobby; something I loved doing and now through different roads, own a private garage doing what I still love.

The point is this:  When my customers ask me what kind of warranty I provide, my answer is: none.

You have hired to take care of your "baby" and I provide no excuse in relation to how you treat a machine with thousands of moving parts.  I will know the truth about your relationship with your machine in the event you ever have a problem or I will see a smile on your face for the next 10 years.

My first question to Firestone would have been why?  Very important to know WHY there was a failure.  "heads need to be replaced" signifies prolonged overheating. Not assembly nor OE defect.

I would not have honored a 'warranty' if I had given one w/o having been notified of a failure.

My policy for 20 years has been "nobody touches my engines"; but as a private garage with a backlog of 2-4 weeks, has made it plausible for me to search for a quality supplier.

I have recently been burned 3 times in the last year by absolutely horrible products, abhorrent customer service and asinine paper-pushers.

I have spent the last week researching Jasper Engines and have found that the majority of the complaints do not answer the question WHY regarding the failure, yet have heard of incredible customer support compliments.

The Key to long lasting engine performance are (my humble opinion)

1) build with materials that have long history

2) attention to detail

3) maintain the product correctly

Jasper has my repect on #2; banking on #1; can't control #3

I will purchase a 3.7 engine next week from Jasper Engines.  I will know in 90 minutes runtime if there will be any further purchases.  The way they handle a failure will determine my undying repect or everlasting boycott.

If you want something done right the first time, do it yourself; if you can't- take it to someone you

Thanks to all for your input.

Beck's Auto / TX

When all else fails, try to make others look stupid.

AUTHOR: Marlon - (U.S.A.)

K, if that is really how you spell your name,,lol,,please try not to act like you are some kind of chemistry major,,,you work at Jasper! lol.

Anyway, I have a report filed with this site against Jasper and yes they are sad when it comes to standing by their product. I had to take them to court. I won or at least got them to send me a new engine. I still had to pay $2,200.00 to get it put in and about $1,00.00 in attorney fees and additional repairs for a brand new engine that ran for 30 min. Don't buy this product. They WILL NOT stand by the warranty.

Jasper Engines And Transmissions Still the best there is.

AUTHOR: Herb - (U.S.A.)

I am an installer. I have used jasper engines and transmissions for over 20 years. Are they perfect? No. Do I always like their warranty? No. Is there anyone any better? No! I have tried several other rebuilders, Jasper is still the best.

Let's consider everybody's position on this and any future warranty concerns...

AUTHOR: K - (U.S.A.)

First and foremost, a polite note to anyone who wishes to post here or anywhere for that matter...

Please take the time to gather your thoughts, remove the rhetoric and check your spelling and grammar.

Near the end of this response, I will comment specifically on those who have contributed so far and then leave you with a closing remark.

I am currently an employee of Jasper Engines & Transmissions. This is my 3rd "job" in 20 years.

Having 20 years of experience in the Automotive Aftermarket; I can state firsthand that NOBODY is perfect.

"NOBODY" includes the following:

*OE parts manaufacturers
*The company who built your vehicle
*Aftermarket parts manufacturers
*Remanufacturers (such as Jasper)
*Repair facilities
*Nor you and I...the consumer

As an employee of Jasper Engines & Transmissions, you may have already drawn the conclusion that I am just going to present a biased opinion of the company. Don't assume I will advocate we are PERFECT and that we will never fall short of someone's expectations. BUT, make no mistake about this, I will advocate that in my 20 years of experience I have not witnessed ANY company come close to the efforts that are made DAILY by Jasper Engines & Transmissions to do these 2 things:

First: To produce an exceptionally high quality product that does in fact EXCEED OE quality and even design in many cases while utilizing state-of-the-art machinery, high-quality, recognizable, name-brand parts and skillful employees.

Second: Accepting and understanding that it is VERY CHALLENGING (and believe me unrealistic to think one can achive perfection here) to make people 100% happy 100% of the time, I have seen Jasper FAR EXCEED people's expectations countless times...whether it was the end-user customer or the repair facility. The company has been in business for 65 years and has (obviously) made far more customers happy rather than unhappy.

Jim ~ I am very sorry you had this experience and only wish you were dealing with a repair facility who knew how to get you into our rental plus towing assistance program. Although we do pride ourselves in our efforts to limit failures due to a cause by Jasper. Also, it may not be common knowledge, but we do RECORD phone conversations for training opportunities and as a measure to ensure ANYONE you are on the phone with will conduct themselves professionally. If not, we have a way to (quickly and with resolve!) address the situation by pulling the recording and reviewing the facts!!!

Allen ~ I'm assuming your name is spelled "Allen" and not "Alllen".

You are CLEARLY presenting yourself as disgruntled and not very informed of even BASIC remanufacturing processes and procedures. Much less the advancements made by Jasper not to mention the various checks & balances they have in place not just in the "RE-manufacturing" processes but also in many other facets of the business.

In other words...GET INFORMED and GET A CLUE!

Phoebe ~ You are a true professional and I have to make a statement that hopefully the female readers of this will take note of: It is a well known fact that in general, the Automotive Aftermarket is a "male-dominated" industry. You have gained much knowledge and experience over the years that many men would be envious of. In just the short time (1 year going on 10+) I have been with Jasper, you have already made a HUGE POSITIVE IMPACT on MANY customers I have heard from. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!

In closing, if you haven't figured this out by now...I am a Factory Representative for Jasper and come in contact with literally hundreds of people. By comparison, if you were to use a "Popularity Poll" such as one used to rate the effectiveness of a job done by a business leader or politician, I would say Jasper would rate VERY high in the polls.

So, have the confidence to communicate and do business with a company who has clearly demonstrated a very high degree of visable integrity over the years. Your thoughts and concerns are always welcome at Jasper Engines & Transmissions. Feel free to browse the website at www.jasperengines.com to learn more about the company...the people and the products.

Warmest regards,

AUTHOR: Timothy - (U.S.A.)

I have worked for Jasper Engines for over 15 years. Some of my best friends have been the customers. Jasper would do anything it takes to go the extra mile. Everything that Jasper Engines sales are the things that I love to talk about. The company not only strives for perfection, but insists that it's vendors do the same. The rules are not hard for filing a warranty. It takes a toll free phone call!!!

Many people call in with problems that are not even about anything we sold... they just need some help with a repair!

Many of my customers will know me- but I'm not in sales...I work in the differential department. If you call me I promise the only thing that might make you grimice would be one of my jokes. The bad ones I remember- go figure!

I solve problems all day long- in order to get it right the first time!
Tim York- Differential Department

Firestone did the repairs--did they speak to us prior?

AUTHOR: Phoebe - (U.S.A.)

In response to the complaint, if the heads were leaking, allowing water to get into the engine, was Jasper contacted first for the complaint? If so, did Firestone ok the repairs prior to doing them? Generally, we will fix our own problems, hence our own Warranty claims division. We'd take the call, establish the cause of the defect, and resolve it with our own parts, etc. If not, we advocate ourselves in diagnosis, and repairs that we suggest to whoever is repairing the problem. We know our product better than anyone else, and could've offered a simple solution quickly. Not to discredit anyone, but until we know there is a problem,we can not assist. To whom did you try to contact and was ignored? We are not known for doing that. The President of the company himself returns calls given to him, no matter the issue. We can't do much about it if we find out after the fact. (any insurance and warranty company is set up like this.) If the repairs were done prior to allowing us to offer a solution, or at least authorization, no company that I know of will go ahead and pay for it. It's all detailed in the coverage terms. In fact, quite possibly a new unit would have been sent as replacement for a quick resolution. The company that did the repair work would be held responsible, why did they charge you if they were talking to us? They could have billed us if they were authorized to do the work in the first place. What exactly caused your two day delay? If the warranty would have been handle through us there shouldn't have been any delay and the scheduling may have been a conflict elsewhere and not with us. If Firestone replaced the heads with different ones from somewhere else they were in the wrong, we would have sent replacements (if that is what would have been established by us to have fixed the problem) at no cost and given labor reimbursement back to Firestone.
That is why we stress a nationwide warranty. Do you know who you would have spoken to that hung up on you? For what would be considered a special case (such as yours) you could speak directly with the Department head, Vice president, or even the President to get a resolution. We pride ourselves on that. We do not normally look to websites such as these and may not have been aware of the issue as far as a callback goes. Our toll free number is posted everywhere and if you need names named, we can do this. By now,details may have been lost and there are some gaps that need to be filled before any resolution could even be offered.

As to Allen, the ex-employee, we do not pay people off. After knowing the details, and steps involved we may find that upper management made a decision due to some failure to our process, or the way in which a situation was handled and decides to go ahead and pay the costs. Our quality, may not be perfect on every unit that goes out the door, but we make a very good effort to do self audits daily on our product and procedures, keep tabs on the failure analysis reports from units we request to come back into us, and also on our vendor's supplies to us. If a failure is due to a part defect from the vendors we are falling victim just as the vehicle owner has. We also will then take the initiative and get with our vendors to see why their part(s) have failed in our unit, thus causing our name to get slung in the mud.We have a very rigorous quality control system. Did you not see this while you were here? If not, then you probably missed alot of things that were obviously going on around you. It's a very obvious standard each associate lives by- with each unit they sign off on. We have an entire department for research, developement, and quality control. We ask you to get your facts straight before commenting on issues you know nothing about. If there were so many problems, why did you not speak up and try to help? You obviously did not believe in creating a better product, workplace, or solution in general. Without facts or offering suggestions, your words are probably considered as good as any heresay or rumors that one can hear at the local barbershop. Get facts and present your case in a more definitive manner if you want something to actually be done about it.

To the vehicle owner: For any contact names needed, you can call the toll free number and ask the operator they gladly give the names out on a daily basis. We pride ourselves on the fact that we are a team and we will stand behind our product together as a team. Ask for the VP of Marketing (Tom) or the President himself (Doug). They'll take your call. There is no discrimination there, if you had ever tried calling them yourself, you would already know that though. Scare tactics don't work either so forget about wasting your money on an ad you wouldn't need when talking to the right people.

#9 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: Alllen - (U.S.A.)

You have joined the ranks of hundreds, very likely thousands. Most people are embarrased when they are ripped-off and won't admitt their error. Historically, the phone people in sales and warranty are told lies and repeat them unknowingly. Or if they know they are lies, they are forced to use them anyway at threat of loosing their job. I speak from first hand experience. They have very, very serious quality issues. It is not getting better. They have been know to pay-off people to keep them quiet. See if you can find newspapers that will print your case in their papers and any other free source to get their attention. Forget calling them, it's a big joke in the warranty department when they hang-up on people. Good luck