Complaint Review: JayMarc Plumbing

• Updated: Wed, April 17, 2013

• Reported By: Kristen_Lollis — Pinellas Park Florida
JayMarc Plumbing
2017 Dover Ct Oldsmar, Florida United States of America

JayMarc Plumbing Illegal work performed not up to code and without a permit Oldsmar, Florida

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Rebuttal to Kristen Lollis

We hired Jaymarc Plumbing because they were referred to us by my step father who is a Licensed General contractor and has known them for many years. They came out to our business to install a sink for us. They proceeded to hook us the sink to a line that was not run legally or up to code and to boot they never even pulled a permit. When confronted they said they knew it was not up to code and wanted to know who stuck their nose into it and got the city inspector involved and that they didnt pull a permit to try and save us some money and do us a favor....A favor that turned out they were breaking the law. They refused to refund our money so we could hire another plumber to do the job right and legally. Very horrible experience and would NOT recommend this company to anyone who wants a quality legal job done. If they would do this to someones daughter who they have known for years what would they do to a complete stranger... BE CAREFUL!!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/25/2013 01:57 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/JayMarc-Plumbing/Oldsmar-Florida-34677/JayMarc-Plumbing-Illegal-work-performed-not-up-to-code-and-without-a-permit-Oldsmar-Flor-1037855. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on JayMarc Plumbing

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Rebuttal to Kristen Lollis

AUTHOR: Dave - ()

This is the rebuttal letter I filed with the BBB and PCCLB. I'm also including my second rebuttal letter at the end of this letter.

JayMarc
Plumbing Inc.

2017 Dover Court Oldsmar, Fl 34677

(727)642-1399 (727)919-0683

Fax (813)814-9179 (727)940-2354

This letter is in response to the complaint filed with the BBB and the Pinellas County Contractors Licensing Board by Eddie and Kristen Lollis.

Ill start at the beginning and explain the events to the best of my recollection.

On or about March 14th, my business partner Stu and I received a request from Ken, a builder that weve worked with for many years. He told us that his step daughter Kristen and her husband Eddie were opening a tattoo shop near Park BLVD. and 66th Street in Pinellas Park. He said they needed a sink installed so that they could comply with the Health Department, but that they were pretty short on money and could we please do the job for them at the best price possible. We said of course.

After Kens request, we received a call from Kristen. She stated that it should be a relatively easy installation because there is a bathroom on the other side of the wall. She also said that there was an existing shower that had been installed years ago and it was elevated off of the floor and that we could probably just tie into the existing drain. At that point we scheduled a date and time to meet her husband to look at the job.

Upon arrival, we told Eddie that there is no way to know for sure whats behind the wall without opening it up. He said to go ahead and do what you need to do. He said I dont care what you have to do because I have to have a sink before the Health Department will let me open.

After we opened the wall we showed him the existing drain line and stated that it was not installed to code because it wasnt the proper size for a shower, (It was 1 instead of 2). We also stated that the waste line to the shower could be tapped into to pick up the sink but that because it wasnt the proper size it would probably be knocked down by the inspector.  It was then that he stated he didnt have much money and didnt want to involve the city. I want to emphasize the point it was the tenant who didnt want to pull permits.

Because in Kristens complaint she states it was our idea not to pull a permit.

We should have walked away at that point, but this was a favor for a friend who weve done a lot of work for over the years. So we continued with our estimate.

Anyway, we told him we could drill two holes in the top plate of the wall, tie into the existing water lines and bring the water down to where he wanted the sink installed. That way the pipes would be hidden in the wall and not exposed.  We could also go ahead and tie into the existing shower drain, install the vanity, install the top, install the faucet with stop valves, and hook up the waste, all for $435.00.

Eddie sat down in the chair and literally put his head in his hands and said I was hoping itd be around $100. Thats when we started picking up our tools and got ready to go. Eddie stopped us outside and asked us if he could give us half now and half next month, we said okay. Again, this was a favor for a friend.

We went ahead and completed the job as promised. While we were checking our work to make sure there were no leaks and everything was functioning properly, (just like we would do if the job was going to be inspected) I noticed water pooling in the shower. After a little investigating, we found a sump pump under the bathroom vanity that was used to pump the water from the shower up to the drain that handled the bathroom sink and out to the city sewer. That is not legal, but its an existing feature and has been there for years.

I told Eddie DO NOT use the sink until you have the power turned on and the sump pump is operating, and I explained why. A day later we get a call because someone was running the sink and water was everywhere, and Kristen was telling us that we did a horrible job and that she wanted her money back. I told her that I
explained to Eddie not to use the sink until the power was on and that the sump pump was operating. She told me that the power was now on and the sump pump wasnt working. I said, How was I supposed to know that your sump pump was bad? After that we received several text messages from her stating that she
wanted her money back and that she was going to report us to the BBB and PCCLB and everyone else she could think of because we didnt pull a permit. I told her it was her husband who asked us not to pull a permit and involve the city. I could see where this was all going so I tried to call Kristen twice and Eddie twice, and was hung up on each time. I want to emphasize that also, because in Kristens complaint she states that theyve tried to contact us, when we were the ones who were hung up on. I wanted to resolve this matter but found both Kristen and Eddie to be very rude individuals.

We (JayMarc Plumbing) have been in business in the Tampa area since 1982. This is the FIRST
complaint weve ever gotten. We have always abided by the Florida State plumbing code and Florida law. We have literally thousands of happy satisfied customers and thousands of completed inspected projects.

As a matter of fact I plan on contacting as many customers as possible and asking them to provide testimonials to the BBB for JayMarc.

We shouldve never got involved with this job, but we were trying to do a favor for a friend.

As far as permitting, Ill admit a permit shouldve been pulled. But the customer asked us not to because he couldnt afford it. As the saying goes, Hind sight is 20/20we should have walked away.

Respectfully,

(727)940-2354

To:

Laura Gainey

Trade Practice Specialist, BBB

There are some people who no matter what you do, or how hard you try, will ever be pleased. We believe Kristen to be one of those people. Despite what she states in her correspondence to you, we bent over backwards to try to please her. She was not even present the day we were there, so all of her statements are hearsay. The day we were there we met with her husband and the landlord. Who by the way, was adamant that we not touch the shower.

You can weigh the many happy customer testimonials on both your BBB site and Angies list against what she is suggesting in her letter.

My partner Stu and I work very hard to make ALL of our customers happy. A good 80% of our business is repeat business and referral based. To be honest, weve been so busy that very often we have to turn down
work and refer it to other plumbing companies that we have reciprocal relationships with.

I guess our point is that we dont have time to keep going back and forth with this matter. But we do appreciate your help with this issue. Please feel free to contact Stu or me anytime.

David Pitruzzello and Stuart Hurwitz