worn

• Updated: Thu, April 01, 2010

• Reported By: Kerry — Jonesboro Georgia United States of America
Jeffrey I. Fouts, Attorney At Law
572 Maddox Drive Suite 213 Ellijay, GA 30540 Internet United States of America

Jeffrey I. Fouts, Attorney At Law Law Office of Jeffrey I. Fouts Ripped Off in Georgia Internet

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: A+ Better Business Bureau rating - 20 Years in Business

My wife and I were being audited and could not get any assistance from the original firm that prepared our taxes. After an initial meeting with IRS auditor, who requested a lot more information and suggested that he wa going to audit additonal years, we decided to hire a tax attorney. The Fouts Law Firm presented itself well during my initial due diligence and discussion with "salesman" Dale Ellis. Mr Ellis' initial conversation was reassuring and seemed to confirm for me that I was hiring the right firm. Shortly after hiring the Fouts Law Firm and paying their initial retainer, we my wife and made 3 sets of copied of all of the documentation being requested by the IRS. We sent 2 sets to Fouts, 1 for the IRS and 1 for Fouts' records. After a few days we received a bill from Fouts indicating they had used the initial retainer ($1200.00) and needed more money to continue. We sent the money and shortly received a request from Fouts for additional information. We provided the information and almost immediately received another request for more money indicating the additional funds were needed to continue.  This time I sent an email of complaint to the firm, a man claiming to be Jeff Fouts called me and we discussed their business practices and agreed to move forward. I sent additional funds, received requests for additonal information and money from Fouts,  and finally when the IRS sent their findings (stating we owed an additional $14,000.00), my wife and I received a call/email from Fouts' office wanting know what we wanted them to do. We hired them for advice, counsel and respresentation none of which were provided. My wife and I were not past due in paying or filing taxes for any years, we were being audited for 1 year, a year in which we paid taxes beyond the amount I paid through my employer. The firm that prepared our taxes initally would not repsond when we informed them we were being audited and we decided to hire other representation. After not getting any legal counsel or advice from the Fouts Firm, we terminated the relationship and ended up working with the IRS directly. We hired another CPA to refile our taxes and ended up owed less than 1/4 of the original amount stated by the IRS. The Fouts Firm did nothing, provided no advice or service. Please be very careful if you are consiidering hiring this firm. Total cost to hire Fouts $3100.00, services provided, legal counsel provided none, lesson learned priceless.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/01/2010 06:58 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Jeffrey-I-Fouts-Attorney-At-Law/internet/Jeffrey-I-Fouts-Attorney-At-Law-Law-Office-of-Jeffrey-I-Fouts-Ripped-Off-in-Georgia-In-588589. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Jeffrey I. Fouts, Attorney At Law

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

A+ Better Business Bureau rating - 20 Years in Business

AUTHOR: - ()

These clients hired us to help them with an audit of one of their personal tax returns. The clients told us their tax preparer reported their corporation on a Schedule C (which is the incorrect place to report it), and that they had no idea where the preparer came up with some of the expenses.

We requested documentation from the clients to support the deductions they took on their tax return so we could discuss these with their IRS auditor. Audit work is very time-consuming and labor intensive which can lead to substantial legal fees, and the Clients became unhappy with the amount the preparation was costing.

We have no way to comment on the CPA amending the tax return because we do not know what additional expense documentation the clients were able to find. If they later found additional records to give to the CPA to back up additional deductions, we could just as easily have done this as well.

In other words, it appears they gave us all the records they could find, and then after leaving us, they found other records to back up their deductions which the IRS accepted.

This doesn’t mean that the new CPA performed a miracle, and it doesn’t mean that we didn’t do the best job we could do with the documentation the client actually provided to us.

We have an A+ Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating. We have been in business 20 years, and represented thousands of clients in all 50 states and 29 foreign countries. We are proud that less than 0.4% of our clients have ever complained. We regret this person is unhappy, but we can’t make everyone happy, even though we try.

You can speak to us personally at 1-800-509-2770.

Sincerely,