Jet Van Lines outsourced my move without my consent to Moving Central based in Chicago. The following occurred during interactions with Moving Central:
- The company contacted me at 6:00PM the night before requiring payment in an unusual method. Either postal money order or cash. The post office was already closed at the time. I had a cashier's check made through my bank, which is Federally insured and the method of payment is therefore as reliable as cash. When payment was refused, I had to walk to the bank about 1 mile down the road and carry an excess amount of cash. I never received a receipt for the cash and the Moving Central office could not identify receipt of payment until 72 hours later, after my calls.
- The driver was less than interested in customer service. When he arrived, he was on the phone yelling at someone for about 5 minutes while I was waiting to lead him to aide in entry to my residence. [continued below]....
..... He also was quick to hide damaged items and did not even mention missing items until I pointed it out to him when the crew was ready to leave.
- Inventory was taken by the driver after he had already emptied the truck. I was never provided a complete inventory delivery list and received other people's possessions. I was asked to pay cash upfront before delivery and to sign the contract before the driver could leave. I did such, but made certain to expressly note on the contract that there were several items damaged and missing. The driver did not even have copies of what I was signing. He had to go to the front office of the condo to ask the my property manager to produce copies. I at first told him that I refuse to allow him to do such and I will go to Kinko's with him for copies. He ended up going to the property manager anyway.
- A 120 year old chair was broken and the driver stated it as, "no big deal, insurance will cover it!!" I expressly stated to the moving crew in Texas the importance of the chair and was assured that care would be taken. I was absolutely insulted when the driver in Chicago asks, "How old is it? 10 years?" I have no reasonable estimate of the value of this item as it was an heirloom. A $1900 entertainment center purchased in 2001 has extensive cosmetic damage to it. A $300 microwave was placed quickly in the kitchen which had been severely damaged-- the door won't open and the surrounding metal frame is buckled. A $1100 TV is missing and was noted as not in their warehouse. I also experienced the loss of a $800 air purifier, damages to a DVD and a cassette player, surface damages to some wooden chairs, and damages to a pillowtop mattress.
- I had contacted the Moving Central company requesting all documentation. I have only received a copy of the contract. They have failed to deliver all other documentation.
When I did my diligence on Jet Van Lines and discussed my delivery with sales, I thought I was paying for a quality move. I did not realize that my job would be outsoured. It was further stated by the sales representative that Jet Van Lines would use its own crew from pickup to destination. This, of course, did not happen. I chose Jet Van Lines company based on their past ratings. Unfortunately, Jet Van Lines did not consider their past reputation when honoring their word or in hiring a third party.
Based on some research I did after my move, the Moving Central company hired by Jet Van Lines went through a name change from Olympia Moving and Storage. Olympia had several unresolved complaints noted by the BBB and was rated as a D-. One serious complaint regarding failure to deliver was never resolved. This is the company selected by Jet Van Lines to represent it during my move.
Jet Van Lines later provided an email which contained copies of the signed documents I was not provided. I never received originals. I was instructed to file a claim with Anthem Claim Management. Anthem, or Jet Van Lines, never sent me any written correspondence afterwards. I am now into 6 months after receiving my delivered goods and greater than 90 days since completing a request for reimbursement.
Additionally, a storage fee of $400 was charged beyond the agreed upon binding agreement between Jet Van Lines and me.
I estimate a total loss of approximately $4000 in relation to the move.