Complaint Review: Jiffy Lube

• Submitted: Tue, August 05, 2008
  • Updated: Mon, June 29, 2009

• Reported By:Graham Washington
Jiffy Lube
12208 Meridian S, Puyallup, Washington U.S.A.

Jiffy Lube Automatic Transmission Fluid is not approved by Kia Motors Puyallup Washington

*Consumer Comment: This should be moved to Jiffy Lube

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Jiffy lube doesnt use additives

*Consumer Comment: Nothing wrong with the fluid itself

Took my 2002 Kia Spectra into Jiffy Lube for an LOF and 60,000 mile transmission service. Following day, transmission delayed shifting to reverse. Took the car to Kia Dealer as it was still under powertrain warranty. Received a call from Kia stating I needed a new transmission at a cost of $1600. They say the wrong transmission fluid was used. Dextron III was used according to Kia. This voided the warranty from Kia and rightly so. Back to Jiffy lube with the information provided from Kia. Jiffy Lube assistant manager said that Dextron III was used but an additive was also used to change the properties of Dextron to a equal to the fluid Kia dealers use. Kia has not approved this additive, Jiffy Lube says it is good. Meanwhile, I have a Kia with a broken transmission and nobody to fess up and take responsibility.
Maybe Jiffy Lube is OK for oil changes but I am steering clear of them.

Jeff
Graham, Washington

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/05/2008 09:50 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Jiffy-Lube/Puyallup-Washington-98373/Jiffy-Lube-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid-is-not-approved-by-Kia-Motors-Puyallup-Washington-359694. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Jiffy Lube

AUTHOR: Anonymouslubetech - (U.S.A.)

I actually work at the Jiffy Lube in Puyallup (store #2576) and can tell you that, we do, in fact, have an additive that we use to convert our transmission fluids to be compatible with various vehicles.
Also, the machine's that we use at this particular location do not use an independent pump to circulate the transmission fluid, they use the vehicles transmission pressure.
The most likely (and like I said, this is from an "insider") explanation is that the additive was forgotten by the technician who serviced your transmission. This kind of thing happens all too frequently. Good luck getting the manager to admit that, though.
Jiffy Lube likes to overwork, underpay, and mistreat their employees. We are pressured to keep our "ticket average," the average dollar amount spent by the customers, as high as possible, all while rushing the cars in and out as quickly as possible and increasing the number of vehicles serviced per day.
Many of the workers at my location, myself included, have been pushed to our limits. Some of my coworkers, unfortunately, have allowed themselves to become sloppy with customers cars.
I wish you the best of luck in getting your vehicle taken care of. If I had any specific information as to the responsible technician I'd be more than happy to help you out.

This should be moved to Jiffy Lube

AUTHOR: Aaron - (U.S.A.)

They need to be the ones paying for your transmission not Kia.

I love how people blame the wrong people on here time and time again.

#6 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Jiffy lube doesnt use additives

AUTHOR: Goose702 - (U.S.A.)

I used to work at jiffy lube and unless they do things different where u r from what the assistant manager told u about them using additives to convert is bs. they dont have additives there are only a certain transmissions they should be working on but they wont care because it will help their quote at some shops

Nothing wrong with the fluid itself

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

The additive is used by nearly everyone to convert Dexron3 to the proper type for the specific vehicle. There are additives to change it from dexron3 to Mercon5, and others to change it to the Diamond(Mitsubishi) your car uses. This is also the Honda, Chrysler, Toyota, etc. Newer Chryslers use full synthetic fluid(ATF+4), but that's another issue not related to your car.

The real culprit for your tranny iisue is the way JL does their transmission flushes. They use a machine that provides it's own pressure, and thus damages the tranny pump if it's already marginal. The machine that everyone should use is one that relies on the tranny to provide the pumping action, such as the BG Fluid Transfer unit.

KIA is wrong about what caused the problem. If it was simply the wrong fluid, adding the additive would correct it. Have a competent shop check the pump.