Complaint Review: Jiffy Lube

• Submitted: Thu, October 19, 2000
  • Updated: Sat, September 01, 2001

• Reported By:Tempe Arizona
Jiffy Lube
Thousand Oaks, California U.S.A.

*0: totally unfair that this Jiffy Lube is being slammed

Jiffy Lube Thousand Oaks began servicing my 1992 Honda Civic, then, 10 minutes into the service, advised me that they could not complete the service and that the service performed so far (wiper fluid fill, etc.) would be at no charge.

They claimed that there was a problem with the drain plug and that it was the fault of the Honda dealer who last serviced my car. They recommended that I take the car to Honda.

This car had never leaked any oil prior to the Jiffy Lube service, but when I brought the car home, it leaked oil all over my garage.

Jiffy Lube stripped the oil pan by over-torquing the drain plug, and replacement of the oil pan cost $349.13. They have refused to accept responsibility, so I am suing them.

A word to the wise: even when you only need minor maintenance such as an oil change, take your car to a reputable mechanic! Choosing Jiffy Lube might get you what I got; a $30 oil change becomes a $349.13 major repair. Dont get screwed, dont choose Jiffy Lube!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/19/2000 12:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Jiffy-Lube/Thousand-Oaks-California/Jiffy-Lube-Thousand-Oaks-damaged-my-car-Dont-get-screwed-Dont-choose-Jiffy-Lube-REB-3632. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Jiffy Lube

#1 0

It was sent by John Kenyon at jlkenyon@aol.com.

Jiffy Lube Thousand Oaks damaged my car. Dont get screwed,. Dont choose Jiffy Lube! *REBUTTAL (#3632)

Rebuttal:
He did take us to court and low and behold we won, he lost! As he said he brought the car in, we found the problem immediately and stopped work on the car. We told the owner of the problem, apologized that we could not complete the work until he had his drain plug fixed and sent him on his way, not even having drained a drop of oil. Now he comes back and tries to make us pay all the repairs on his car. He has threatend us with law suits and everything else under the sun. We all can make mistakes and we have, but not in this case.

#2 0

#3 0

#4 0

totally unfair that this Jiffy Lube is being slammed

From: FTWJLUBE@aol.com

REBUTTAL:

I am writing regarding a post on your website. The post was submitted on 10/19/2000 and modified on 12/30/2000 regarding a Jiffy Lube in Thousand Oaks damaging an oil pan on a 1992 Honda Civic.

Things need to be set straight here!!!! First of all, I am NOT related to the Jiffy Lube there so there is no need for me to be misleading.

Second, oil pan damage happens during the reinstallation of a plug, not the removal.

Third, Honda's are notorious for having oil pan problems due to aluminum threads. Most of the time, the problems on these oil pans are from poor handling over the long term, not just one incident of overtightening.

I think that it is totally unfair that this Jiffy Lube is being slammed for this. In fact, if the Jiffy Lube has the right attorney and a good expert witness in court, they should have no

problem winning this. Well, just thought I would vent a little.

Lonnie Hinkle