Complaint Review: Jim Walter Homes

• Submitted: Wed, July 23, 2003
  • Updated: Thu, July 24, 2003

• Reported By:PEARLAND Texas
Jim Walter Homes
10030 N Freeway Houston, Texas U.S.A.

Jim Walter Homes Aka Mid State Homes ripoff the business that doesnt give a dam Houston Texas

*Consumer Suggestion: The home building industry's lack of quality is a nationwide epidemic

My husband and I have a little girl we were 21 years old when we first signed the papers to have a house built. We were so excited this was going to be our first home together on an acre of land. One year and 6 months later our house has just been completed. Jim walter has turned our Dream into a NIGHTMARE!!

I to feel like I was a victim of their scam. We had countless problems with them as well. To be honest, it almost came to down to us having to get a lawyer. These people put so much pressure on you to sign here and sign there. and they tell you oh don't worry about that it just means this " ". I have learned a lesson the hard way.

Our inspection failed countless times because they tried to cut corners on our home and the City Inspector was very angry and told them they would have to pay each time they had to go out there. They tenedered this house to me filthy after they said don't worry we take care of it " just sign here". What a mistake I made. These people do not return phone calls and they get mad when you call the city yourself or call their boss.

My house has changed hands several times and alot of things got missed which delayed construction. As far as I am concerned these people are unprofessional unorganized and STUPID. They delivered the same appliances twice and don't even know it. And then when I asked if they were going to install it they said oh have you got them yet? That alone tells me what kind of people
they are.

I hope they get their pants sued off!
Count me in!

Valerie
PEARLAND, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/23/2003 09:50 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Jim-Walter-Homes/Houston-Texas-77238-8223/Jim-Walter-Homes-Aka-Mid-State-Homes-ripoff-the-business-that-doesnt-give-a-dam-Houston-Te-64460. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Jim Walter Homes

#1 Consumer Suggestion

The home building industry's lack of quality is a nationwide epidemic

AUTHOR: Homeowner - (U.S.A.)

Few industries can get away with the incompetence and outright fraud that the housing industry does.

Many, many new homes are built below minimum code requirements, and codes are not consistently enforced anywhere in this country. Home builers go unregulated in over half our states, and even in those states that "license" home builder, the agencies are often self-regulated. Consumer protection laws are a lot harder to get enforced than the news reports make it sound, especially with houses. Builders associations lobby in every state, and nationally, to reduce our consumer protection more, and to give home builders more freedom to rip people off. Grass roots organizations that fight for consumer rights like the ripoffreport.com, and specifically organizations that deal with home building, like www.hadd.com and www.hobb.org, have sprung up as a result of the high number of complaints.

Often a home owner is further damaged or financially drained by lawyers, so don't feel bad that you didn't sue...much of that is part of the myth the news is reporting about consumer problems. It's expensive, time consuming, stressful, and difficult to sue even with a valid case. Most home owners simply run out of money to fight it, and the builder goes on building, as this is just "business as usual" for them.