Complaint Review: Joe Chisholm

• Submitted: Tue, February 15, 2005
  • Updated: Sun, June 29, 2008

• Reported By:Vacaville California
Joe Chisholm
1949 Wartha Street (Not Sure Exact Address) Pleasant Hill, California U.S.A.

Joe Chisholm, Golden Retriever Breeder unethical golden retriever breeder who sells sick/dying puppies Pleasant Hill California

*Consumer Comment: Also a victim of joe (although the real victim is our puppy)

*Consumer Suggestion: Joe did not deliver papers as promised

*Consumer Comment: I got a great dog from Joe

*Consumer Suggestion: Vet may have overdone it on already sick pup

*Consumer Comment: California has a puppy lemon law

*Consumer Suggestion: You Need To File A Complaint With The District Attorney's Office

Joe Chisholm, from Pleasant Hill California is a Golden Retriever Breeder who sells sick and dying puppies to innocent people. He is a con artist who makes you believe that he is an ethical breeder but the reality is that he facilitates a puppy mill where all puppies are in unsanitary conditions along with the fact that his puppies are sick and he sells them to innocent people wanting to buy a dog for lifetime.

Our puppy had diarrhea from the first day we brought him home and his condition worsened quickly. We brought the puppy to a vet that gave him a special diet and started his puppy shots. Joe, the breeder, claimed to have started the puppy's first shots himself and insisted that we bring our puppy back for the rest of his shots. Our vet told us that he gave the puppy the wrong shots to begin with.

Our puppy's health proceeded to decline with more diarrhea infested with blood and then vomiting on top of everything else. We brought our puppy to an emergency vet that wanted to do tests on a Sunday night with estimated costs of $1,500. We called Joe and he insisted that we bring the puppy to him (he insured his dogs for 2 years) and we trusted him. We brought our puppy to him and the next day our puppy died, we only had him for a week and he was 9 weeks old. Joe ensured us that he has dealt with this before and that he would nurse our puppy back to normal health. He promised to bring him to his vet where it would not cost as much.

He brought us unnecessary grief and has a reputation for selling people sick and bad tempered golden retrievers. Our puppy died within a week of owning him. I called the American Kennel Association for Golden Retrievers in Northern California and they have had numerous complaints about Joe Chisholm. I want Joe's breeder business shut down!!!!

Vacaville, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/15/2005 10:36 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Joe-Chisholm/Pleasant-Hill-California/Joe-Chisholm-Golden-Retriever-Breeder-unethical-golden-retriever-breeder-who-sells-sickd-131534. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Joe Chisholm

Also a victim of joe (although the real victim is our puppy)

AUTHOR: I'll Get Joe Chisholm - (U.S.A.)

never received papers, but that's not even the crime...our puppy is almost a year old and can't even walk any longer due to bad knees from poor breeding - the cost will be $6-12K to fix with only a 20% chance she'll recover completely. How can i choose between money and our pet's life???

I just want 5 minutes alone with this creep in a room - my heart hurts for the poor animals he continues to crank out for his own profit. Of course, the number i had is no longer valid nor is the address, but i will find him.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Joe did not deliver papers as promised

AUTHOR: Dana - (U.S.A.)

My wife and I bought a Golden Retriever puppy in December. Despite multiple telephone calls and letters, Joe has not delivered the papers.

I intend to file a civil suit and criminal charges and am seeking evidence from other customers who were ripped off. I found online two cases that Joe lost in small claims court and have contacted the plaintiffs.

Sarah, is there any way I can get in touch with you to discuss this further one-to-one?

I got a great dog from Joe

AUTHOR: Greardon - (U.S.A.)

While I appreciate your anguish over losing a puppy after 1 week of ownership, I would like to put forth I bought a Golden puppy from Joe 13 years ago and she is still alive and doing great. In fact, my dog is probably the best dog that I have ever had with regard to temperment and health. I haven't had any problems with this dog other than one incident of over eating out of the garbage and arthritis which is typical for dogs of this age.

Anyone who has had the opportunity to encounter Jane (my Golden) remarks that she is the sweetest, most well behaved, most endearing animal. So much for any temperment issues.

My suggestion to you would be that you are more particular about the puppy you choose and understand that there are always risks with young dogs. Also, I feel that the other comment about your vet over doing it has some merit. Understand that Vets are doctors for animals and human and therefore you will frequently get several different opinions with regard to the care needed for an animal.

I would also suggest that you get referrals from your friends of breeders in the future.

#4 Consumer Suggestion

Vet may have overdone it on already sick pup

AUTHOR: Whisper - (U.S.A.)

You may need to look into also going back and reveiwing the fact that although you new the pup had just recived a Shot , you alowed your Vet to Revaccinate your pup.
When a puppy is already sick , say from Coccidia, E-coli, distemer , kennel cough, Vets are NOT suposed to give any shots. IT can cause death.
The first visit to the vet should be a Fecal examination and review of a new protcol for shots, but no shots given the first visit, especialy if shots where given within a week of pick up- Another CrackerJack Licenced Vet? Or was the New owner forgeful of her shotrecord- no matter I would have callen the breeder should there be any conserns about what shots and the days given and why.
The reason most pups even get tummy aches in the first place is because of shots, which are normaly given at 6/8 weeks. Dogs carry normal bacteria in there gut, and when they are upseted/moved or given a shot there immune system lowers, which allowes for the natural bacteria to overgrow and cause Diarrhea, wich in turn if left untreated can over time cause death.
Vaccination Scheduals varry from Breeder to Breeder and Vet to Vet, and Normaly Breeders know what is best for there puppies because they have experianced FIRST HAND how there dogs reacted to there shots. When you pay money for a dog you are paying for the Knowledge that the pup you get is going to be like the parents.
None the Less, I hope you get refunded or another puppy, Every New pet owner should be responcible and take there new pup within 48 hours of getting there puppy, and I would have called the breeder right away if it was sick at all, and maby even took it right back.
Every Breeder should be responcible and explain with much detail all the what if's & Why's, and if it bunks a sale, then too bad , at least you dont have people coming back saying nasty things about you.

You did not mention what the date of Buying your pup and time, nor what date time you took first to the vet, nor what date you took it back. You have not updated to say he has or hasnt refunded your money, just that your pup has died.
I am sorry for your loss, I hope you find another pup, and please dont listen to people that say shelters are the best place to get a dog, Shelter dogs are normaly there for a reason, and even the ones that where abandoned for no reason can still have health problems or have bad personalitys. Even rescues cant say exactly what personality a dog will have at your home. Buying from a breeder that trys to root out problems is just one of many choices, but I hope no matter what you do that you take this knowledge learned as an investment of the future of your next dog.

California has a puppy lemon law

AUTHOR: Herb - (Canada)

If you can, go to small claims court. California is very strict about selling sick puppies. I read the puppy lemon law only recently.
Go to www.malteseonly.com/lemon.html this should help you.
Good luck

#6 Consumer Suggestion

You Need To File A Complaint With The District Attorney's Office

AUTHOR: S.n. - (U.S.A.)

If your vet is willing to put in writing that the puppy you purchased was ill, you need to contact the District Attorney's office and file a complaint. You then need to file in small claims court for the return of your money, including purchase price and vet bills. You should never have returned the puppy to the breeder (or mill) when he became ill. You can go to this website: http://www.kindplanet.org. They work to stop unethical breeding and pet store sales. They may have other pointers for you to work to put this breeder out of business.