Complaint Review: John Carter

• Reported By: Zim — San Diego California United States of America
John Carter
500 Parc Montreal, Quebec United States of America

John Carter Settlement for $80,000.00 Montreal, Quebec

I received a letter from a John Carter stating I was "chosen"? as a beneficiary of an unclaimed settlement of $80,000.00. The letter stated that American Law requires a "processing" fee before funds are released (not true). It also states that the monies can not come from personal funds. A check for $2351.94 was sent along with the letter from the "JPMorgan Chase Bank" Chicago, IL. drawn on the account of "Echo Global Logistics". I googaled the company and found that the company is lagit, as well as the bank. However, the company & bank are in Chicago, Il. and the person I was to call is in Montreal, Canada. I wondered why I would have to call Canada for the settelment (which was never defined) when if the settlement was for the Echo Co., which resides in Chicago. I called anyway, and was told Mr. Carter was not in, having taken the day off. Seemed weird to me. Also, there is no identification of the company Mr. Carter works for, only the "Claim Services". He has no web page or email address. It is stated in the letter I  should not cash the check until I was able to talk to him or a stop payment would be applied. A clause also stated that " Due to certain safety restrictions, we can not completely disclose details concerning your settlement ln this letter".  What safety restrictrions? Makes no sense unless the check is a stolen one. Be careful with this one, sounds like a scam to me and if I were to cash the check and it was fraudulent, I'd be held responsable.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/03/2012 06:46 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/John-Carter/Montreal-Quebec-H3M-1M2/John-Carter-Settlement-for-8000000-Montreal-Quebec-892518. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on John Carter