Complaint Review: John Robert Powers

• Submitted: Sat, August 02, 2008
  • Updated: Fri, September 12, 2008

• Reported By:Baltimore Maryland
John Robert Powers
201 North Charles Street Baltimore, Maryland U.S.A.

John Robert Powers, JRP in Baltimore-not only a rip-off, but prejudicial! Baltimore Maryland

*UPDATE Employee: I have proof it is not a rip-off so dont listen to any of these comments

*UPDATE Employee: NOT A RIPOFF, OR A PREJUDICE

*Consumer Suggestion: How were you ripped off?

*Author of original report: JRP in Baltimore-not only a rip-off, but prejudicial!

I had an interesting dealing with JRP in Baltimore today. Or more appropriately, my daughter did, via my granddaughter. Allow me to give a small back story.

My 4-year old granddaughter (well, she'll be 4 on Monday) has autism. Many of you may know about or know someone with autism. Many of you may not. My granddaughter has high-functioning autism. She is borderline Asperger's Syndrome. When she came into the JRP office in downtown Baltimore, she was holding her two favorite toys, a Dora and a Boots. She began running around, rolling around on the floor, and "screaming". I put that in quotes because it's not screaming in the aspect that you may think of. For her, screaming can be caused by a high level of excitement, frustration, pain, etc. My daughter's immediate dealing with the director (I think?) was for him to say "This isn't going to work." He said this immediately after finding out that my granddaughter is autistic.

My daughter came home, imaginable irate. She left without even having the audition done. When we found out what had occurred, my son-in-law, my wife and I immediately got ourselves together, armed with some information about autism, and proceeded to go downtown to, umm, "speak" to the "good folks" at JRP. Mind you, my family and I are VERY low income. It financially hurt my daughter to purchase the dres and shoes for the audition. It financially hurt me to use the gas to travel downtown and pay the parking rate. But my granddaughter had been treated prejudicially. So we went.

I went into suite 1802, where the JRP ofices were located, and the receptionist that greeted me couldn't have been older than 20 or 21. I am old enough to be her father. She then introduced me to the man who my daughter had dealt with earlier. This gentleman barely had a command of the english language, as he was from Russia. He gave his name, but I am not going to state it. He invited the three of us into his office, and then left us to sit for 5 minutes, which turned into more like 20 or 30 minutes. He did manage to return briefly, so as to hand us a sales brochure.

After he returned, I noticed that he was visibly nervous. He continually played with a paperclip. Keep in mind, my son-in-law stands 5'7" 230#, and I'm 6' 205#. He tried several times to make small talk with us, but we kept him on topic.

At this point, you're probably wondering where my story has to do with the rip-off scam of RJP. We weren't sucked in, because my daughter was put-off by the employee. I'll end with two things:

1) Any employee of the company who responds, if hey are still curently employed by RJP, is going to tell you how fabulous the organization is.

2) If you have a child with special needs, don't waste your time. They'll treat you like dirt, because sereotypically speaking, rich people (or at least people who can afford this crap) don't have children with disablilties.

Pipes
Baltimore, Maryland

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/02/2008 09:42 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/John-Robert-Powers/Baltimore-Maryland/John-Robert-Powers-JRP-in-Baltimore-not-only-a-rip-off-but-prejudicial-Baltimore-Maryla-358591. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on John Robert Powers

I have proof it is not a rip-off so dont listen to any of these comments

AUTHOR: Wf1980 - (U.S.A.)

Yes, i am not going to lie, you do pay money for classes for modeling, but its so much more. I met tons of girls, made great friends, built self-esteem, and made a lot of money w/ great opportunities. Me and my mother met with JRP on night when i was 17. My mother is the MOST skeptical woman, ever, and if there were questions to be asked, she'd covered all of them (almost to an embarassing extent). SO she paid around $800 for a few months period. I went to classes, got free headshots, and had tons of fun. I was also sent on auditions n got plenty of jobs through the agency. I did very well, so went back for the advance classes, and again paid $800. (please keep in mind, if your child has the talent and an agency wont take u, 1. ask companies to sponsor you so you can make dreams happen). This time, you get more headshots, chance to compete in a local show which you receive money n other awards. I did compete, but didn't win. Afterwards, there is a convention. Its by the M.A.A.I.(please go on their website if you do not believe me). Its held at the Waldof Astoria in NYC, you meet with tons of agents, and are exposed to the modeling/acting world in ways you could never dream of. I went, competed, and actually became the overall petite winner. There are about 300 awards, n then about 5 overall awards (child, petite, woman, man, n senior). Not only that, but i had over 30 call-backs from agents n agencies that wanted me. I traveled, i got jobs that grossed over 30,000 (which if you do the math, eliminated the money i spent on classes), and was asked back the next year to make a speech and hand out awards w/ celebreties. I had to go to college, but its a shame, bc i could have went all the way.

Basically, it is a time in my life i will always remember n love. I have seen girls that are shy, disabled, handicapped, and problem-oriented blossom into beautiful, amazing young ladies within a few months period, all thanks to JRP and their staff, as well as the other girls in their classes. The company can make you into a star if you want it, and are confident. Yes you will pay some money, but think about it. This can give you a future, whats the difference if it is soccer, or football, or dance classes. You can go places with JRP and keep memories that are priceless. Please stop bashing something that you have no clue about b/c it is an amazing company with amazing people in it. Thank You. Kim

NOT A RIPOFF, OR A PREJUDICE

AUTHOR: Nick - (U.S.A.)

Mr Pipes, not sure if thats your name, or what you're smoking, you have no idea what you're talking about. I am sorry for the hardships of your grandchild's disability. I know its never easy when a family member has such struggles, so for that, I truly feel for you. But your accusation of JRP being a ripoff and being prejudicial is just nuts!

I have copied and pasted your remarks, so I can show you what I mean:

My 4-year old granddaughter (well, she'll be 4 on Monday) has autism. Many of you may know about or know someone with autism. Many of you may not. My granddaughter has high-functioning autism. She is borderline Asperger's Syndrome. When she came into the JRP office in downtown Baltimore, she was holding her two favorite toys, a Dora and a Boots. She began running around, rolling around on the floor, and 'screaming'. I put that in quotes because it's not screaming in the aspect that you may think of. For her, screaming can be caused by a high level of excitement, frustration, pain, etc. My daughter's immediate dealing with the director (I think?) was for him to say 'This isn't going to work.' He said this immediately after finding out that my granddaughter is autistic.

***NO, he said this because its a behavioral issue. We are a school, and we train students in performance. JRP is not a special education program designed to work with kids with special needs that are outside the realm of the capacity for learning the skills needed for performance. In your case, it was due to the behavior of your child. Please don't think Im saying you can't handle your child's behavior, what I'm saying is that she wouldn't be suited for performance education at this time.***

My daughter came home, imaginable irate. She left without even having the audition done. When we found out what had occurred, my son-in-law, my wife and I immediately got ourselves together, armed with some information about autism, and proceeded to go downtown to, umm, 'speak' to the 'good folks' at JRP. Mind you, my family and I are VERY low income. It financially hurt my daughter to purchase the dres and shoes for the audition. It financially hurt me to use the gas to travel downtown and pay the parking rate. But my granddaughter had been treated prejudicially. So we went.

***It is not the fault of JRP that you paid for these things. If you went to a steakhouse and didn't like the steak, are you going to b**** and moan to them and call them a ripoff because you spent the money on gas to get to the restaurant? You CHOSE to go. You CHOSE to buy clothes. If you couldn't afford it, you shouldn't have gone. This is not a matter of being a ripoff, this is a matter of your lack of money management.***

***How old would you like someone in a receptionist position to be? Why is this an issue ANYWAY???!! Put the pipe down.***

***He may have been trying to find ways to gently explain to you that they cannot work with your granddaughter. No one likes dealing with parents who argue with you because they can't accept reality***

Keep in mind, my son-in-law stands 5'7' 230#, and I'm 6' 205#. He tried several times to make small talk with us, but we kept him on topic.

***Nope, my response was more along the lines of: They can't work with your grandchild.***

***Probably the most ignorant thing I've ever read on this site! Way to go! You get the gold star! I, in fact have a student with Downs Syndrome. He is a blast to work with, he's creative, and he is not a disruption in class. Several of our students have learning disabilities. Their parents bring them to the class for self-convidence, and enjoyment. You were told that JRP couldn't work with your granddaughter because it was obvious her behavior would've been an issue in the classroom, period. Now, the vast MAJORITY of our families are not wealthy AT ALL. So to say that people who go to JRP wouldn't have kids with disabilities is utter insanity. And to say that "rich" people don't have children with disabilities?!? What the hell is wrong with you? You are clearly out of touch with reality. You seem like the type of person to blame the rest of the world for your misfortunes. You want a free ride through life. Pipes, learn to take responsibilities, you're told old to be a whining brat.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

How were you ripped off?

AUTHOR: Mattymack - (U.S.A.)

You are complaining because they said they couldnt work with your four year old that was rolling around on the ground? Why were you taking a four year old to an acting studio? Dont you think you should be spending time with activities a doctor recommends? You said you cant afford it, you said your granddaughter would struggle there, so what did you drive down there for? You sound like a bitter stage parent, and how is that JRP's fault?

JRP in Baltimore-not only a rip-off, but prejudicial!

AUTHOR: Pipes - (U.S.A.)

Allow me to clarify a statement. With the exception of a select few (Jim Carrey/Jenny McCarthy, Toni Braxton, Steve "Stash" Ash, as far as I know) the Hollywood types don't have children with disabilities. And after all, isn't that what JRP and places like them are selling you that you can be?