Complaint Review: Johnny B's Pro Lube

• Submitted: Sat, August 30, 2008
  • Updated: Tue, October 06, 2009

• Reported By:carbondale Illinois
Johnny B's Pro Lube
400 N Glenview Dr Carbondale, Illinois U.S.A.

Johnny B's Pro Lube Attempted fraud/unnecessary repairs Carbondale Illinois

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Johnny B's not ripoff business! Please contact shop

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Unaware of reported problem

This was my only experience with johhny B's. What was supposed to be a $30 oil change morphed into a $123 dollar bill for add-ons that I didn't know I needed. I should have asked what each thing costs, but didn't, so on the oil change issue, I take responsibility.

Here's the fraud. I asked them to look at the front brakes because a light was coming on. They said that I needed to change the front brake pads because the pads would begin eating into the rotors soon. The manager told me it would be $220, but he would knock it down to $189 if I did it that day.

I was suspicious in the wake of the magically growing oil change so I told him I would come in next week, he gave me an estimate for the work (that I still have) and then I left.

I called my regular mechanic, they said for replacing front brake pads they would charge $125. However, after I dropped it off, they called me and said that all the brake pads were like new and there wasn't any point in changing them. I gladly paid them $16 for their honesty (I would have paid more but that's all they wanted).

In conclusion, Johhny B's Pro Lube tried to rip me off. I would urge anyone in the area to avoid them.

Brian
carbondale, Illinois

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/30/2008 12:52 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Johnny-Bs-Pro-Lube/Carbondale-Illinois-62901/Johnny-Bs-Pro-Lube-Attempted-fraudunnecessary-repairs-Carbondale-Illinois-368406. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Johnny B's Pro Lube

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Johnny B's not ripoff business! Please contact shop

AUTHOR: Johnny B - (USA)

Hi:

I am the owner of Johnny B's Pro Lube.  I have never and will never try to sell any service which is not warranted for a customer's vehicle.  I just saw the complaint filed in 2008 and am horrified by what I read.  I immediately contacted the current manager and implemented control procedure of where all break pad replacement recommendations be observed by him.

I have been in business over 13 years in this area and have always tried to have a professional approach to the customers.  Customers are our life-line and we cannot afford to lose any of them.  I wish the disgruntled customer would have contacted me!

Our company has an award hanging on the wall "Superstar of the Quarter" because we have for years attempted operate in a professional manner.  We have tried to maintain service recommendations by mileage intervals recommended by the manufacturer.

I am heartstricken by the complaint which I found on this web-site and wish that it had never happened.  It has and now I can only assure anyone reading this that the people working for me have already been informed that they must work that much harder to earn back a good reputation.

I can only ask for forgiveness from the customer who felt wronged (ripped-off).  I am truely glad that they did not spend the money for service not needed.  The people responsible for this no longer work for and will not be back.

Johnny B.

#2 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Unaware of reported problem

AUTHOR: Johnny B - (USA)

I am Johnny B. (owner) I was not aware of your problem and wish that you would have contacted me to make me aware of the issue at hand.  I do not condone the selling of unnecessary services.  Obviously breaks cannot be sold by mileage recommendations.  Since reading this complaint, which I only became aware of October 3, 2009; I have implemented procedure in shop where the new manager will personally observe breaks before technicians recommend service to customer.

Johnny B's Pro Lube has for years attempted to maintain service recommendations based upon mileage intervals recommended by manufacturers.  Even this will sometimes upset people because so many services (eg; transmission, gear boxes, pcv valves, radiator fluids, power steering, tire rotations, etc) are recommended to be performed every xx,000 miles.  But if we do not recommend them and then something happens to break down customers have complained in the past "you should have to told me to do this service so my car would not have broken down".

It is hard to get it just right; I have never and will never try to sell something that is not needed and will not help your vehicle perform as it is suppose to.  This industry is tough enough without shooting yourself in the foot!

My Company was awarded Superstar of The Quarter one year by one of the top professional training institutions in America for our professional service approach--not for underhanded tactics.  I can be reached through the shop number listed on the complaint.  By the way the individuals responsible for this have not worked for the Company for quite some time and they will not be back.