Complaint Review: Johnny Ray's Inc

• Updated: Sun, December 27, 2009

• Reported By: dixi — Plano Texas USA
Johnny Ray's Inc
1818 UVALDE ST johnnyray.biz Internet United States of America

Johnny Ray's Inc JOHNNY RAY'S CARPET CARE INC Did horrible Bathtub Refinishing. The bathtub has rough and uneven surface, Paint layer peels off in flakes! Internet

*Author of original report: How rain in Dallas affected bathtub resurfacing in Plano Texas?.. or liar exposed!

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Telling the right story the wrong way

I have found via Service Magic, so called "professional" contractor, who offers bathtub refinishing services: Johnny Ray's Carpet Care, Inc. (alias Johnny Ray's, Inc).

He did a horrible job: refinished bathtub has rough and uneven surface with many small particles UNDER the paint, yes you read it right: he used paint with particles of just sprayed it over unclean surface. After that he lied to my wife that "these particles can be wiped out with soft cloth after drying". On top of that: the paint started to peel off in many places as big flakes right away!

I was not able to get hold on this guy, though he promised "5-years warranty", he did not care to return multiple e-mails and voice messages I've left on his phone.

Finally, I decided to publish my experience with Johnny Ray's, Inc on Service Magic website,- amazingly, my negative review did not show up on their site at all! But, that is another story about Service Magic, if you wonder you can find pretty much interesting stories about this company on Internet.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/10/2009 02:01 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Johnny-Rays-Inc/internet/Johnny-Rays-Inc-JOHNNY-RAYS-CARPET-CARE-INC-Did-horrible-Bathtub-Refinishing-The-bathtu-507336. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Johnny Ray's Inc

AUTHOR: dixi - (USA)

I had mixed feelings reading the rebuttal... I found it funny and sad at the same time.

Funny - because Johnny Ray himself pretty much had explained what kind "professional" he is...
Sad - because instead of simple apology he decided to add more lies and own bad attitude to the case...
 Here is my answers to Johnny Ray:

1) my wife's English is fine. As I've noticed on the several occasions, usually this kind of arguments
are employed by people that have nothing else to say. How about to be more specific WHAT exactly
you had trouble to communicate? Besides that, I never ever met REAL professional that was not
ABLE to communicate to his/her client,
Yes, it is that simple: if you failed to explain your customer in understandable terms what is needed to be explained and blaming customer for whatever reason - you just is not a professional!

2) you had my cell phone number all the time, how about to call and COMMUNICATE if there is an issue or question or concern?
By the way, it is exactly what real professionals do when in doubt, you didn't know it, right?

3) Lie, lie, lie... Can you make up you mind and settle on the single number for how many hours refinished bathtub should be without water? You had written on the receipt you gave 6 hours, now it is 24, hm... how convenient to blame someone who started to use bathtub in 6 hours! and if anyone wonders, we used bathtub first time in more than a week, unfortunately, with initially bad refinish it does not matter at all!
4) By the way, painters were not spraying walls as they were not hired for that! They were not
spraying inside bathroom at all - they were painting inside built-in closets with bathroom door
close shut...

There are some interesting findings about Johnny Ray and his "business" that initially I had no intention to publish, but it seems, there is need to do that:

1) His site said "13 years in business" on 07/2009 and "17 years in business on 11/2009" WOW!
That is impressive! Besides adding 4 years to the "business" lifetime in 4 months - Let me ask
what kind of business? Carpet cleaning or bathtub refinishing? I think, actually, it was carpet
cleaning. Here is a good question: why someone who did "professionally" carpet cleaning for
"xx" years would decide to do something else?
2) "Same phone number for 12 years" Hm... Here is quite interesting report from BBB

I am not even talking about the report itself, it shows very clear score. Most interesting here are
date of the report and phone number. "Same" phone number for the last 12 years
somehow was another one in February 2009!

3) "13/17 years in business?" Is there a business? Sorry, but I don't think so...
At some point Johnny Ray failed to pay franchise taxes and his business as of today,
has shown as "NOT IN GOOD STANDING"
...how much care about your business would you expect from someone who does not care about
own business?

And finally: How rain in Dallas may affect bathtub resurfacing in Plano Texas? I don't think rain in Dallas CAN affected bathtub refinishing in Plano Texas in any way... The same as spraying
water based paint inside of closet located in 10 feet from bathroom with door close shut
CANNOT affect PROPERLY refinished bathtub inside...
"Sorry It does not work like that..."

#2 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Telling the right story the wrong way

AUTHOR: Johnny ray - (U.S.A.)

First let me say there was a huge communication gap. The lady that was at the house could barely speak english and spoke with a heavy (russian?) accent.

Second. you were told not to use the tub for 24 hours. = NO WATER. As I am walking out the door Painters with spray rigs are coming in spraying WATER BASED PAINT right outside the bathroom I just refinished! However, the homeowner was gone! I waited outside for 20 minutes for her to come back during which time the painters are spraying the walls and anyone that has seen spray rigs in action knows the mist that fills the air. This mist of course contains water because it is water based paint. I tried to tell the painters not to spray but they had a job to do and all of a sudden could not speak english. So I could do nothing more then watch and know this overspray and moisture would settle on the tub and cause problems. I refused to warranty the work because ..... It was not my fault.

There is a reason we say don't use the tub for a period of time. Ask any refinisher what would happen under those conditions and they would tell you IT IS GOING TO PEEL! Water does not mix with the coatings. Yes I Hate that it happened, But It was not me that scheduled painters to spray within MINUTES of having the tub refinished.

The particles you spoke of were not particles at all .... that was water bubbles from the dust settling from the painters. Your negative experience was brought about by your own doing ... not mine.

By the way ..... the 5 year warranty does not cover things that are beyond my control. Yes I make mistakes and I warranty that work ..... it's not often I have to do that but I can think of 3 times in the last 5 years. However, I could not run a business if I had to worry about what happens after I finish the job. I guess if you would have turned on the shower 5 minutes after I finished then I would have to warranty that also? Sorry It does not work like that.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC