- Report: #4195
Report - Rebuttal - Arbitrate
Complaint Review: Johnson's Floor Covering
Johnson's Floor Covering8110 Collinsville Rd. Collinsville, Illinois U.S.A.
Johnson's Floor Covering & Pro Flooring - improper installation Laminate Flooring rip off
*0: Johnson's settles
*0: update Johnson's Floor Covering & Pro Flooring - improper installation Laminate Flooring rip off
A business' first
line of defense
on the Internet.
If your business is
willing to make a
Click here now..
This is the basic complaint I'm making to the Better Business Bureau tomorrow. Would have already made it but their site has been down since yesterday afternoon.
If anyone has any other suggestions of where I complain I'd love to hear them.
November 2000, Johnson's Floor Covering sold me wood laminate flooring and arranged for Pro Flooring to install in my house.
Pro charged $1,255 for labor and ruined $1,607 of materials by improper installation. Plus I spent about $275 to have my house re-keyed, replace garage door opener, brand new drill and brand new 20' measuring tape. And I have paid for an additional $786 of material that is still sitting at Johnson's waiting to be installed. So far I have spent $3,923 for labor, material and replacing items.
After repeated calls to Johnson's and Pro and an inspection by a Shaw Industries representative (manufacturer's rep), neither Johnson's nor Pro have replaced my floor.
The attached is my response to the Shaw Industries rep who inspected the floor. I will be sending it certified mail tomorrow.
1284 Troy Ofallon Rd
Troy, IL, 62294
516 East Walnut Avenue
PO Drawer 2128
Dalton, GA, 30722-2128
Johnson's Floor Covering
Brenda and Bill Sparrow
8110 Collinsville Rd.
Collinsville, IL, 62234
January 15, 2001
Dear Mr. Bickhoff and Mrs. Sparrow,
Bill Sparrow, Johnsons's Floor Covering, faxed me Mr. Bickoff's letter regarding problems found on Mr. Bickoff's and Mrs. Sparrow's Dec. 22nd inspection of the Shaw Decades Natural Classics laminate floor installed at my home in November. It mentions nails, no expansion gaps around floor edges, floor buckling, seams peaking, edges cupping. It does not mention the problems listed below that I remember Mr. Bickoff, Mrs. Sparrow and I also discussed:
1. 1/8 cracks on either side of two boards by door to garage. Those two boards slide when walk on. Per Mr. Bickhoff boards were unable to move because no expansion gap and resulting pressure from missing expansion gap caused glue between boards to break.
2. Mrs. Sparrow pointed out not enough glue used between two or three boards by patio doors.
3. Living room laminate not acclimated. Mr. Bickhoff compared it to carpet swelling and rolling in the summer. I take that to mean floor will buckle more this summer.
4. No sealant around kitchen sink. Mr. Bickhoff said there is a sealant that can be used.
5. Chipped corners. Mrs. Sparrow stated installers did not report any material damage.
6. Mrs. Sparrow agreed with me that the peaks on the plywood sub-floor in the living room need to be ground off before more laminate is laid.
Notify me by certified mail, on your letterhead, at my address on the top of this letter, in the next ten business days, if either of you disagree with my statement of facts.
Mr. Bickoff I need additional assistance from you. Johnson's has been unable to answer the questions, or provide the product literature and a repair kit, all of which I requested from them 12-23 and are listed below. So I've no one else to ask but you. Please send answers, product literature and a repair kit to me by certified mail in the next ten business days. My address is at the top of this letter. Enclosed is Johnson's material ticket to identify the laminate.
Answers Needed From Mr. Bickhoff:
1. Manufacturer's opinion on exactly what damages are caused by the following and over what time periods damages will occur:
B. Missing expansion gap
1 of 2
C. No acclimation
D. Insufficient glue
E. No water sealant around kitchen sink
2. Manufacturer's recommendations to remedy problems found on Dec. 22nd inspection.
3. Does improper installation void manufacturer's warranty? Where exactly in the warranty is it stated?
Product Literature and Repair Kit Requested from Mr. Bickhoff
1. Manufacturer's warranty
2. *Detailed installation guides. Specifically addressing sub-floor slope and condition, material used between sub-floor and laminate, type of glue, glue application, color sealant for wet areas, acclimation, nails, expansion gap, laminate cutting and laying procedures.
3. *Detailed troubleshooting guides. Specifically methods to determine if correct amount of glue used, correction of improper installation.
4. *Detailed Repair guides. Specifically dismantling laminate and replacing boards.
5. Care and Cleaning guides.
6. Repair kit.
*Detailed means professional guides that can be used to actually install, troubleshoot and repair the floor.
Your prompt attention and time are appreciated,
Enclosures 2: Copy Mr. Bickoff's letter regarding 12-22 inspection, Copy Johnson's laminate ticket
CC by certified mail: Ron Landon and Mark Files DBA Pro Flooring, 921 N 38th, Belleville, IL, 62221
This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/14/2001 12:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Johnsons-Floor-Covering/Collinsville-Illinois-62234/Johnsons-Floor-Covering-Pro-Flooring-improper-installation-Laminate-Flooring-rip-off-4195. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.
If you would like to see more Rip-off Reports on this company/individual, search here:Search Tips
In order to assure the best results in your search:
- Keep the name short & simple, and try different variations of the name.
- Do not include ".com", "S", "Inc.", "Corp", or "LLC" at the end of the Company name.
- Use only the first/main part of a name to get best results.
- Only search one name at a time if Company has many AKA's.
Advertisers above have met our
strict standards for business conduct.