Complaint Review: Journey Malibu

Journey Malibu
22516 Carbon Mesa Rd. Malibu, California United States of America

Journey Malibu Bella La Vita LLC UNETHICAL PRACTICES Malibu, California

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Journey Malibu Treatment Center

As a client, I witnessed many unethical and possibly illegal things going on at Journey Malibu. The entire time I stayed at Journey Malibu, I got to lay out by the pool, golf, watch movies, go shopping, go out to dinner.  That was nice but after I got home and started drinking again, I realised that I just wasted $50,000 to basically go on a 30 day "vacation".  They did not help me at all. I eventually got sober somewhere else.

Journey Malibu has unqualified people running their rehab.  People who have no formal education or licenses, or experience or credentials.  Journey Malibu isolates their clients. Journey discouraged us from going to Smart Meetings or AA meetings. The head of Journey Malibu (Cindy) didn't want us to get sponsors when we went to AA meetings; because I witnessed one of the other clients getting in trouble for trying to get a sponsor.  Journey wouldn't allow the client to communicate with her sponsor and they said she could talk to her sponsor only after she left Journey Malibu.

I saw other clients getting high on pills they snuck in with them and Journey Malibu seemed to turn a blind eye to it.  The clients got away with it, and had their drug dealers sneaking more over the fence. I became close with some of their techs and kept in touch with them.  Techs told me that when clients start showing interest in going to a sober living after treatment, the tech are supposed to "redirect" the clients away from the sober living and to instead convince them to stay longer at Journey Malibu.

They told me other things about how it was to work there, like: Journey Malibu constantly paid their employees late and sometimes not at all. Journey Malibu did not pay some of their therapists/doctors. Journey Malibu made false statements/declarations about their employees to hurt them. Journey Malibu uses non qualified and improperly uneducated employees to provide therapeutic services. I felt very bad for their techs.  They tiptoed around with their heads down always like they were afraid someone was going to yell at them.  When we got away on outings, the techs always opened up to me and seemed more at ease.  There were more complaints but I can't remember them right now.

Journey MAlibu was not the first rehab that I went to, so I have others to compare it to.  In my opinion it was the least organized, least structured, least amount of substance, and the most waste of my time.
For the money I spent, I could of gone to the Four Seasons 5 times over.
This is all my opinion that got by my own experience staying there, and derived from the information told to me by my tech friends.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/20/2013 11:33 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Journey-Malibu/Malibu-California-90265/Journey-Malibu-Bella-La-Vita-LLC-UNETHICAL-PRACTICES-Malibu-California-1017354. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Journey Malibu

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Journey Malibu Treatment Center

AUTHOR: Journey Malibu Treatment Center - ()

~Here at Journey Malibu Treatment Center, our goal is to support our clients on their Journey to recovery. We do not believe in a ‘one-size fits all’ approach, not all forms of treatment, or treatment programs can work for everyone, which is why we focus on building a treatment plan that encompasses and addresses your needs as an individual. We are not a traditional 12-step program, and offer a wide array of treatment modalities (many of which are holistic in approach, and focus on addressing your inner peace and happiness, helping you re-find your spirit), we would never discourage a client from attending or following the AA program if it benefits them, finding what works for an individual is our primary focus.

We have an incredible caring, talented, diverse staff (many of whom hold licensure… *as applicable to their job description), and have a thorough hire procedure, that screens them for knowledge, experience, and education. We as a facility, and as staff, are always working to grow and learn, to be able to offer the very best possible services to our clients.

We strive to go above and beyond for our clients, past and present, and would love to hear from you directly, so that we may be afforded the chance to repair any ill feelings that you hold towards us. We care about all of our clients, so as a past client… We care about you too!

Congratulations on your recovery! Whether achieved with us, or elsewhere, you have conquered a tremendous feat, which deserves nothing but respect and pride.

Wishing you health and happiness!

~Journey Malibu Treatment Center.

www.journeymalibu.com