Complaint Review: Just Brakes (#88)

• Submitted: Wed, May 07, 2003
  • Updated: Wed, May 07, 2003

• Reported By:Houston Texas
Just Brakes (#88)
2239 Highway 6 South Houston, Texas U.S.A.

Just Brakes (#88) ripoff dishonest & repairs unsatisfactory and dangerous Houston Texas

I took my truck to Just Brakes for the $99.88 Friction Relign (calling first to check if it was the same price for a truck) on October 12, 2002 because the brakes were squeaking and I had 57,000 miles on my truck.

The guys had me wait while they took it apart. They said the pads were only 20% worn. After they put it back together I left. The squeaking continued and a few months later a friend of mine heard the squeak and said I should get my brakes looked at. On March 29, 2003 I brought my truck in again, just to be sure. The guys that had helped me back in October were no longer there. I waited while they took it apart so they could quote me a price. This time they said my brakes were unsafe and the total would be $966.88.

He walked me around and showed me the cracked brake pads, the uneven wear, etc. I am uneducated about brakes and he said they were unsafe and could cause more damage and cost more money later. I did half then and the rest a week later, because, of course, I could not afford it all at once.

Initially, I was mad because just five months earlier they said my brakes were barely worn. I emailed Just Brakes on their website contact info. but got no response. I emailed again with an angry note and Jim Shipp at 1-800-445-7105 called me back promptly. He asked if I misunderstood the first guys telling me I had only used 20%. I said no I have the work order to prove it. Then he took down my other two work order #'s and said he would look them over and call me back. That was 3 weeks ago and he hasn't called me back. I have tried to be patient, but after reading the complaints on this site I am MAD.

I will call Jim again but an earlier complaint said that he didn't help. I have more complaints. Both times I left while the work was done, I had places to be, and he said he would call when it was ready. I never received any calls. I had to call and see if it was ready and both times he responded with, "It was just finished." After the first half of the repairs I drove it home and noticed a horrible bouncing of my truck when I braked. I took it back and they had to machine the rotors. I went back to complete the repairs and now my brakes squeal loud every time I brake. They sound horrible. I'm going to take it back, but I am a little scared to do so. I will fight this, though, cause I am pissed off.

Houston, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/07/2003 03:07 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Just-Brakes-88/Houston-Texas-77077/Just-Brakes-88-ripoff-dishonest-repairs-unsatisfactory-and-dangerous-Houston-Texas-56078. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Just Brakes (#88)