Complaint Review: K Mart Corporation

• Submitted: Wed, June 02, 2004
  • Updated: Fri, October 06, 2006

• Reported By:Roswell Georgia
K Mart Corporation
Mableton Parkway Mableton, Georgia U.S.A.

K Mart Corporation DISPICABLE CUSTOMER SERVICE INVOLVING MANAGER AT THIS STORE & KMART HAS DONE NOTHING Mableton Georgia

*Consumer Comment: GET THIS

*Consumer Comment: I'm sorry, but i just don't see how her behavior was in anyway racist. Rude? yes.

*Author of original report: IT'S OVER ..Disguistingly, Racist and rude manager of that Kmart store has in fact been reprimanded

*Author of original report: It took 5 telephone calls and 2 eMails to get a response.

What happened to my husband and i is very simple yet very, very upsetting. We went to a K Mart store because we had heard about them closing up maybe and sure enough they had alot of merchandise on sale. Well, we found some furniture that we really liked. It was good quality wood and sturdy so we put it on layaway and were told that we could pay at any K Mart store and get the layaway out at any time, even early if we wanted.

About 4 weeks later, we did go to the store where we had the merchandise on layaway at to pay it off in cash and get it out. First, we waited in tha back by ourselves for about 25 minutes waiting on someone to come assist us. the lights were on and the register was even on, yet after several calls and attempts asking people for help my husband finally went up front, for the 3rd time and i stayed in the back waiting in case someone showed up. He returned about 10 minutes later and said that he had spoken to the manager and that they were closed in layaway and to come back tomorrow.

Well, on our contract it stated that K Mart layaway had the same hours as the store, no other or different hours were there and in the 2nd place we drove about 40 miles in bad traffic, (it was about 7pm) and noone would help us.

Well, being furious i went up front and i tried to get the manager, "Muriel's" attention and she was turned against me, ignoring me as i spoke to her, i told her that i demanded to have the home offices phone number because of the way this was handeled and she rudely tore a peice of paper from her pocket and tossed it to me while she STILL kept looking the other way. She wouldn't even acknowlwdge my husband, at all. Yet, when some customers of her own race showed up and asked her for help she was all ears and smiles, still ignoring my husband and me.

We called the number she so rudely gave us and it was the wqrong number so i called a different K Mart store and got the right number and filed a formal complaint. K Mart has done nothing. They have not contacted us, or even attempted to in any way whatsoever. My husband and i have thought about filing a discrimination lawsuit against them because of this. I guess our skin just wasn't dark enough. They claim to videotape everything in their stores so i am sure this was all caught on tape.

The moral of this story? When you have to deal with management at K Mart, make sure that their the same race as you are because they only obviously care about their own, at least that's how they treated us and everyone needs to know. On top of this, they are still in business. They never closed.

Jennifer
Roswell, Georgia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/02/2004 09:20 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/K-Mart-Corporation/Mableton-Georgia-30126/K-Mart-Corporation-DISPICABLE-CUSTOMER-SERVICE-INVOLVING-MANAGER-AT-THIS-STORE-KMART-HAS-93324. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on K Mart Corporation

GET THIS

AUTHOR: Ruth - (U.S.A.)

I had a slip and fall injury in k-mart and went to court. After numerous treatments for trying to rectify the situation, I was told physical therapy would not work in my case, so they sent me to have needles of steriods shot in my back, this sent me into rages,and again, becuase of a bad reaction, I was told by my dr. not to have anymore of those treatments, I was sent then to neurosurgery, I had 2 back surgeries, and since I feel on THEIR floor and it disabled me , I even went to the closest ER room, not my hmo, becuase I landed on my lower back,and when I was picked up off the floor, It felt like electricity shoot down my leg.

I had to TELL the electronics guy twice to call for someone to help me, they left me hurting and standing at the counter for ages, when the manager did approach, she was rude, and I asked for an incident report.I am cuurently disabled in a federal court and receiving disability for this injury. I took K Mart to court and they turned me into a prescription junkie, used a dr.s report that I was a drug seeker, even though a couple other drs. said I wasn't.When I went to their expert dr.

I was trying to quit smoking, I had a patch on and she said I smoked 2 packs a day, yes, that is true my dad and sister in law were dying, I don't drink or use non prescription drugs, but I do however, have a smoking habit.I had to tell the manager to get a mop, becuase they wiped it up with paper towels only, and I was afraid someone else might get hurt, I was picked up by a customer off the floor since it was still slick, , no k- mart employee came to my aid at all, or even said sorry,or ask if I needed assistance of any kind.

I was treated like a criminal. This week I sat on a hard bench with a bad back listening to their attorneys tell a jury, k-mart cares about the safety of their customers, and I was a drug seeker,and I should have watched where I was walking.I take pain medications for migranes and my back injury even their own dr. expert said I did sustian some nerve injury in that fall. The safety manager said they have no floor sweeps, but instead if an employee sees a spill on the floor ,they are to clean it up, this had been tracked through,I might add. Also, that not one employee on duty that night was called by the defense, they had the manager on their witness list but dropped her the morning of their side being heard.

The safety manager could not even recite their safety policies, becuase he hadn't read it in 6 years!I had the burden of proof and since no one on duty that night showed up, you would have thought I won right? GUESS again, K-mart who cares SO MUCH about their CUSTOMERS, said I was a drug addict,and I should have watched where I was going , becuase they don't have one person responsible for floor sweeps, they made it sound to the jury that there was no one but me to be held accountable.I was not on any medication at the time of the fall.They were brutal to me, and tore me apart, becuase ONE surgeon, who by the way, we did try to get into court said my first MRI, showed no disc damage, yet he ordered tests to see if there was disc trouble, which their own dr.expert agreed that he would not have ordered, unless, he suspected something, I belong to an HMO so I see numerous Dr.s, and they can say anything aboutyou, especially those that are against the use of pain medication, whether you need them or not.

I saw this DR. ONCE and he was not nice, told me it was all in my head, and then less than a year later I had a huge disc bulge and had to have surgery, less than 6 months later, I had another one becuase it popped out again, both experts agreed I would have limited abilities even with a 3rd surgery since, as of jan. of this year it has popped out 80% again. It is not my job to police k-mart stores for anything on the floor, and at first I thought I strained something and it would go away, I had to keep working even in pain, becuase I had a dying dad and sister in law and a family to help support.I am not a huge corporation,I refused to have the surgeon that said it was in my head, operate on me as he was going to be assigned to my second operation. They said I refused physical therapy and injections, which I did not refuse, PT would have made it worse, the PT dept. said, and god knows I can't handle the steriods,becuase they made me so angry I would have hurt myself, or someone else, I might add they had the same reaction orally.

I never was treated with any respect,not in the store NO ONE asked me if I was okay, or needed any assistance, and at the trial they made me look so bad to the jury , I am a smoker a drug seeker, when they put me on morphine AFTER SURGERY, they put you on a contract, well one of the DR.S there said, I was demanding narcotics, BUT HE violated our contract by not filling them when he was suppossed to, so I was having morphine withdrawls, spent alot of hours in urgent care that day becuase he could not see me according to his nurse, to be told since I was under contract, and only this Dr. could fill them.So yes I was upset, but not demanding,I was sweating , feeling very ill. So basically, they used my medical records that also state my parents are BOTH dead, and my mother is very much alive. When I tried to explain to the jury what happened in both issues, I was objected to as heresay, so the jury heard just the BAD part of the story.I filed complaints with my hmo about these Dr.s, and was so scared of that surgeon ,I was afraid to let him get me on the table thats why I refused him to operate. and requested another Dr..

We tried to get the chief of neurology in,becuase he concurred with that Dr. that they didn't see anything, and he refused to come to court stating he only saw me once he is currently this week of my trial out of the office or unreachable.I worked in the nursing field, I went to peoples homes that were ambulatory, and made sure they had proper care after operations, such as showers, they could all get in their showers, I had to stand there , just to make sure they were alright, I did clean thier houses to sterilize the home, so they would reduce the chance of infection, and I made sure they had meds, and meals also kept them company.K-mart said that I did heavy lifting becuase over the phone I called my dr.s office, said my back was killing me, and could I please have a few days off work, which we really couldn't afford then, my husband now has a great job, so we are able for me not to have to work anymore, and that's good becuase of k- mart I can't.The nurse asked me what I did for a living and I told her , she wrote I needed time off, that I STATED I did heavy lifting and I, in no way said that.

They also said in my medical records that I was divorced from my current husband which I am not. These were Dr.s I had seen maybe once or twice, did not LISTEN TO ME, one was even going to take my heart pills away which I needed, and had been one for years, becuase she felt I didn't need them! I could not state any of what was said on the phone becuase it would be objected to as heresay , and I could not explain about those surgeons who assumed there was nothing wrong with me and then I ended up on the table. So to make a long story short, for those who would like to check this out,I had Judge Baldwin, and it was tried monday the 2nd thru wed. of this week, in Multnomah county courthouse in Portland, Oregon.CASE #0506-06750. Ruth Vs. K-mart.My first mistake is having an HMO( kiaser)you don't always see the same dr.s and they come and go too fast(.I am happy with my primary she is a good dr. she had great credentails and is a good LISTENER and SHE DOES CARE.) becuase my 1st surgeon left right after my operation, and a PA took my after care!

Secondly, I made a huge mistake according to K-mart , in my career choice to help people, they used against me as heavy lifting (they didn't put it that way) they said my job required heavy lifting becuase of that phone call when the nurse asked me what I did for work.They way she worded I stated it was heavy lifting, then they said my HMO off one dr.s report, and MRI, did an unncessary surgery.Then, she said I should have seen it on the floor, stores are not geared for you to look at the floors, they are set up with huge displays and bright red numbers to get your attention, I was looking down the aisles for my product when I fell.ONE of my jurors slept through the trial, they only spent 1 hour reveiwing evidence and inaccurate medical records,that took two almost 3 days of testimony and reords and experts,1 juror when we picked the jury, had a chance to speak up and say she couldn't stay 3-4 days for this when THE JUDGE ASKED IF ANYONE COULD NOT STAY TO SPEAK UP!So, she got upset becuase in the jury box she stated, I probably shouldn't tell you this now but, I can't stay the entire time and the judge MADE HER STAY, so she was against me from the start.She did not want to come back the nex day I am sure and I don't know how the juror that fell asleep arrived at his decision, but basically K- Mart who cares so much for their customers got a ruling in their favor by blaming the victim.We can and may appeal, one juror was asleep and my attorneys saw him and I am sure the juror next to him realized hewas asleep too.

BASICALLY, K-MART DOES NOT CARE ABOUT YOU, AND GOD FORBID YOU FALL AND TRY TO SUE FOR YOUR MEDICAL, LOST WAGES ETC.I TAKE PRESCIPTION MEDICATION, NOT STREET MEDICATION, AND I AM UNDER A DR.S CARE, IT IS NOT MY JOB TO POLICE THE FLOORS THERE , YET IT WAS MY FAULT. That particular store has a reputation for being dirty and they said their camera by ELECTRONICS DON'T REALLY TAPE THERE, BUT, I BET IF I STUCK A DVD IN MY POCKET THAT TAPE WOULD SURFACE REAL FAST.I LEARNED A HARD LESSON THIS WEEK, WATCH WHERE YOU WALK IN K-MART ,DO NOT EVER TAKE YOUR EYES OFF THE FLOOR, AND IF YOU DO, AND YOU FALL AND HAVE SURGERIES BECUASE OF IT, YOU WILL BE A VITCIM TWICE, NOW IF ANYONE DOUBTS WHAT I SAID HERE THERE IS ENOUGH INFO , PUBLIC RECORDS FOR YOU TO CHECK THIS OUT. K-MART WILL STAND UP IN COURT AND SAY OVER AND OVER K- MART CARES ABOUT THE SAFETY OF THEIR CUSTOMERS IN THEIR STORE.THE JURY THAT CAN REVIEW 3 DAYS WORTH OF TESTIMONY IN 1 HOUR 15 MINUTES AND ONE CAN SLEEP THROUGH THE TRIAL AMAZES ME.The little guy never has a chance and I, nor any of my friends and relatives,who saw the difference in me and they are amazed K-mart got away with it SO FAR.NONE of us will ever set foot in a k-mart store again , becuase who needs that kids of caring for ones safety?This store alos has a reputation for rude and lousy customer service and return poilicies with a receipt.

AUTHOR: Jonathan - (U.S.A.)

Unprofessional? yes. Maybe she just did not like someone storming up to her and Demanding anything. I would have had much the same reaction to you and I'm 100% caucasion. I'm glad it was settled to your satisfaction. However, you are the one that looks like the racist by just making the assumption that was the reason she was being rude to you. Just remember, you reap what you sow.

AUTHOR: Jennifer - (U.S.A.)

Well.. it took util December of 2004 for someone to finally contact me, by phone. I spoke with the District Manager and he tells me that the Disguistingly, Racist and rude manager of that Kmart store has in fact been reprimanded for her sctions (or should i say dis actions) towards my husband and i. We got our money back on the purchase including tax. I vowed to them, that i would never, ever shop at a Kmart store again. I wouldn't go there for a band aid if i were bleeding. I don't recommend anyone else going there either. After all that we went through, the emails, phone calls and chaos.. i wil pay more elsewhere. i want to say though, that i feel sorry for Sears for merging with them.. there in for a MESS!! I'll never shop there again either since they partnered up with them, they obviously have the same low maitenance standards as Kmart does.

AUTHOR: Jennifer - (U.S.A.)

It took 5 telephone calls and 2 eMails to get a response.

AUTHOR: Jennifer - (U.S.A.)

As of 3:36 pm this afternoon, i received the first and only response since this mess began in February. It took 5 telephone calls and 2 eMails to get a response. Here is the eMail i received:

Jennifer,

Thank you for writing to Kmart.

We understand that you have concerns regarding the attitude of one of our associates in the store. This concern has been forwarded to the General Store Manager for proper attention. If you wish to bring this matter to the upper management, you may write a letter about this and send it to the Head Office.

KMART RESOURCE CENTER
3100 West Big Beaver Rd
Troy, MI 48084

Please accept our apologies concerning this matter.

Should you have further inquiries, feel free to visit us at
www.kmart.com.

Jenny
Customer Service Network
For best service, please include this message with your reply.

Now not only do i have to wait more... but i have to write them a letter because obviously they are too busy to call me. But, i did get an eMail. I called again yesterday morning to ask for some help with this and the operator i spoke with, "Tina" was very, very sympathetic. I could tell she was legitimately shocked that noone has contacted me about this since it was a blatent slap in the face by one of their store managers. She even stated to me on their monitored phone calls:.. "Your right, i can see right here that you have called several times as your husband has as well and not one thing has been done. that is a shame". So, i am now off to write my LONG letter in detail to the "higher ups" and if i don't see progress... and soon, then they can speak to my "higher up". Trust me, they DON'T want it to come to that because my higher up is the media and possibly an attorney.