Complaint Review: KEH, INC.

• Submitted: Sat, July 31, 2010
  • Updated: Mon, October 15, 2012

• Reported By: Walter — ROANOKE Virginia U.S.A.
KEH, INC.
4900 HIGHLANDS PKWY SE SMYMA, Georgia United States of America

KEH, INC. DECEPTIVE BUSINESS PRACTICES SMYMA, Georgia

*Consumer Comment: KEH must have changed policies since 2010

*UPDATE Employee: KEH Response

This company offers to buy your used camera equipment.  You send them a list of your equipment and it's condition.  They reply with a quote with what they will pay you for it.

You pay to ship it to them and wait a couple weeks for them to "examine" the equipment.

I had sent them equipment in pristine condition that had hardly ever been used but they said that it needed repair and the price of the repair would be deducted from the quote.  I had a choice of declining their offer and I would have to pay for the return shipping.  Since I had already paid $30 to ship it to them I did not want to spend another $30 for shipping so I accepted the reduced amount which ended up being less than half of the original quote.

The next time I used The Gazelle company.  They not only paid for the shipping but paid me more than their original quote.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/31/2010 01:18 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/KEH-INC/SMYMA-Georgia-30082/KEH-INC-DECEPTIVE-BUSINESS-PRACTICES-SMYMA-Georgia-628047. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on KEH, INC.

KEH must have changed policies since 2010

AUTHOR: Avi Bremen - (United States of America)

My experience with KEH was very different than the complainant in significant respects.  On Oct. 4, 2012 I called and got a quote on a complete camera kit (Nikon body, five Nikkor lenses) and they gave me a very competitive quote against eBay sales amounts I'd seen and much better than a local camera shop.

They emailed me a FedEx shipping authorization so I wouldn't have to pay for the initial shipping to them, and they promised me that if I didn't like the quote they confirmed after seeing my equipment, they would ship it back at their expense.  It seemed no risk to me, so I agreed to move forward.

They did everything they said they would do.  The FedEx office locally read their email and charged their shipping number for the box I sent, and in four days they confirmed the verbal quote I'd been given.

Exceptional service, frankly.  I was also confused about the complainants Gazelle comment.  I've sold four iPhones to Gazelle with no hassle and love them, but they told me they didn't buy Nikon cameras (maybe because all mine were manual focus).  Their Web site also doesn't say anything about buying cameras.

In any case, my experience with KEH was excellent, and the shipping was free both ways.

KEH Response

AUTHOR: KEH.com - (United States of America)

KEH has been in business since 1979 and has handled literally hundreds of thousands of transactions in this manner for customers worldwide.  We are generally known to pay the highest wholesale amount in the industry for Used Photographic Equipment.  Our policy is simple.

Upon furnishing you an initial quote, via phone or web, your equipment is shipped to us and evaluated.  If the equipment is mis-identified by the customer or if repairs to the equipment are necessary upon inspection, an adjustment will be made accordingly to the quote.  KEH refurbishes and eventually sells all of the equipment purchased, therefore it needs to be in a sellable working condition as we also offer a complimentary 60 day warranty.

Upon encountering a customer who wishes to decline our offer, we ALWAYS ship the equipment back to the customer at KEH's expense, not the customer's.  This happens approximately 5% of the time.  A question to this customer would be that if he was unhappy with the offer presented to him, why did he not have the equipment returned to him at our expense ?  Instead, he approved the purchase, was paid and now is disgruntled.  I'm not sure what else KEH could have done in this situation to appease this customer.

Regards,