Complaint Review: KFC - Kentucky Fried Chicken

• Submitted: Fri, October 10, 2008
  • Updated: Thu, June 25, 2009

• Reported By:Memphis Tennessee
KFC - Kentucky Fried Chicken
200 Danny Thomas Blvd Memphis, Tennessee U.S.A.

KFC - Kentucky Fried Chicken, Sold old stale chicken instead of discarding Memphis Tennessee

*Consumer Comment: KFC response to my dried out chicken/fish

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: What is the problem

On 09/22/2008 my wife and I stopped at this KFC on the way home for 6 original wings and 2 biscuits. The service was adequate. We ordered it takeout. We got home and tried to eat the chicken. It was dried out and tough. It was like jerky. I called the night manager and complained. I was told just like the chicken "tough".

I filed a complaint on their website. The alleged store manager was given my private cell number and called to tell me I could come back and get more chicken. Why would I want to take a chance on more sorry chicken. I told him so. I requested coupons be mailed to my business address. He then called back to tell me to come back and get a refund.

Diesel fuel was $4.50 a gallon. My truck gets 7 miles to the gallon. It is a wrecker. With the mileage to the store it would have cost $13.50 in fuel to get a $10.00 refund. This isn't a reasonable solution. I requested coupons for the value of the chicken again, so I could go to the Millington TN. store or the West Memphis AR. store and get good food.

Another KFC store manager explained that the chicken had probably been sitting under the heat lights for a while and was stale. It was 7:50 pm and close to closing time. This is possible The chicken should have been discarded. Or given to one of the many homeless individuals loitering outside. I figure they thought by the time I found out the quality was bad, it would be too late for me to do anything.

I am still waiting for my coupons. The store at 200 Danny Thomas Blvd in Memphis TN should be avoided at any time. This was my first and last trip to this store. It is no real big deal. I am just tired of getting screwed by sorry business. I have to treat my customers with respect and give quality service. I would like it in return.

Ours towing
Memphis, Tennessee

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/10/2008 01:19 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/KFC-Kentucky-Fried-Chicken/Memphis-Tennessee-38105/KFC-Kentucky-Fried-Chicken-Sold-old-stale-chicken-instead-of-discarding-Memphis-Tennes-379954. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on KFC - Kentucky Fried Chicken

KFC response to my dried out chicken/fish

AUTHOR: D. Odonnell - (U.S.A.)

I recently went to a KFC/Long John Silvers fast food store in Lynchburg Virginia.
I also returned home with three piece chicken, 1 biscuit and 1 piece of fish that was dried and tough.

I went online and emailed my dissatisfaction.

I was pleasantly surprised a few days later to receive a postcard from KFC allowing me a 3 piece meal, biscuit and piece of fish.

I have always patronized any KFC in any state I might be residing at the time and can honestly say I was never dissatisfied before. After returning to the same KFC with my postcard, I came away from the restaurant with much more than I had expected all fresh and delicious and satisfied that they had acknowledged my complain. Just yesterday I received 2 coupons each for a 2 piece meal. They are back in my good graces again.

dodonnell
lynchburg virginia

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

What is the problem

AUTHOR: Lyzzie - (U.S.A.)

From what you have described, the manager at that location followed the procedure we followed for any consumer complaint we would recieve. If you choose not to go back and get more chicken, that is up to you, but it does not show that the manager was in the fault. And to say that they should have given the old product to the homeless people outside is both offensive and illegal. When Colonel Sanders passed, he wanted all the leftover food to be given to the homeless, however doing so creates a liability for the company, and therefore it is not a practiced custom. Besides, just because they are homeless, does not mean that they should have to eat sub-standard food that is not suitable for a purchasing consumer...