Complaint Review: Karate America

• Submitted: Wed, January 25, 2012
  • Updated: Fri, February 17, 2012

• Reported By: Shocked at Karate America — Fort Lauderdale Florida United States of America
Karate America
1400 millcoe rd Jacksonville, Florida United States of America

Karate America Wont refund membership for daughter in hospice in a wheelchair with cancer Jacksonville, Florida

*Consumer Comment: Letter

*Consumer Suggestion: Contract

*Consumer Comment: Gonna forward this to them and see what they say..

*Author of original report: Reply

*General Comment: I'm so sorry for you...

In January 26 2011, paid for a membership in full $6076.00 for my two girls ages 10 and 6.  A few months later in June my oldest daughter was placed in hospice with renal cell carcinoma (kidney cancer).  She is now in a wheelchair.  I asked for a prorated refund as I am the primary caretaker and must be with my daughter at all times.  It is now January 2012 and they have denied my claim for a refund.

Prior to this happening we were active participants.  My daughters loved karate and I paid all additional dues faithfully including additional equipment.  I am shocked and disgusted to see that despite this diagnosis Karate America continues to deny me a refund.

I am exploring the BBB and other agencies for some help.  If I get no response I am going to the media to expose this disgusting injustice.

Their contract clearly states the contract will be dissolved under medical conditions.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/25/2012 01:04 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Karate-America/Jacksonville-Florida-32225/Karate-America-Wont-refund-membership-for-daughter-in-hospice-in-a-wheelchair-with-cancer-828458. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Karate America

Letter

AUTHOR: zb420 - (United States of America)

It should only take a letter from an attorney that you will sue to get action.

That should cost you about $250 depending where you live.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Contract

AUTHOR: Vince - (U.S.A.)

I suggest you seek arbitration or legal help. It's spelled out in large bold print in their contract the reasons you can cancel. You can cancel if you move > 25 miles away from a affiliated school, or become disabled (for a $150 fee and prorated amount of services used so far). Sounds to me like you have clear legal justification to get out of the contract. Good luck.

Gonna forward this to them and see what they say..

AUTHOR: Steve - (USA)

If what you say is true, these people are scum.

AUTHOR: Shocked at Karate America - (United States of America)

No, the issue is not about money.  I entered into this contract for my two daughters.  I took them every day and they received consecutive perfect attendance medals.  The first day we missed class was when my daughter became ill.  Now I am the caretaker.  As much as I would like, I simply cannot leave my oldest at home so that I can take the younger to karate.  It is not an option.

The contract explicitly states that it becomes voidable if the child is medically unable to attend.  In this case my child is physically unable to attend.   I never dreamed in a million years that I would be denied a pro rated refund of my money.

#5 General Comment

I'm so sorry for you...

AUTHOR: Concerned Parent - (United States of America)

I hope your family will be OK. I just had a quick question in response. Is the problem that your other daughter will never do Karate again or is the hardship that the bills are piling up?

I imagine doctors and no time too work can be very tough. I feel your pain, but was just curious if the karate people were the real frustration or if your financial situation was the underlying issue?

Hope things work out for you.