Complaint Review: Karen Furst

• Submitted: Mon, August 13, 2007
  • Updated: Wed, December 19, 2012

• Reported By:Fort Collins Colorado
Karen Furst
1700 Linden Lake Road Fort Collins, Colorado U.S.A.
  • Phone: 970-221-4009
  • Web:
  • Category: Landlords

Karen Furst Willful and Deliberate Security Deposit Retention/ Slumlord - Does not make repairs Fort Collins Colorado

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Rebuttal

When I met Karen Furst I thought it was odd that she appeared to be bragging about taking her tenants to court, I also thought it was odd that she told me the numerous cases she had open. I convinced myself these were just unruly kids renting from her, isolated incidents. But then she said "I always win". It was a bit foreboding but I NEVER thought I would end up in that mess.

After renting from this woman for over a year I heard her tell other tenants, long before they ever gave notice to move out "you are not getting your deposit back".

When I gave her 30 days notice she attempted to force me to sign an addendum to my lease (which was month to month) that would place me financially responsible for an additional 8 months. I refused to sign. She then told me the security deposit would be sufficient for last months rent, so I did not pay rent. She then attempted to evict me for "non-payment of rent". So I paid the rent and stopped her retaliation attempt.
When I moved out I hired professionals to clean the apartment and carpets. I attempted to return to the apartment (to check one last time) before my 30 days expired to find the LOCKS WERE CHANGED. I happened to wait around long enough to run into her while she was showing the apartment.

She told me I would not receive my deposit back because

(1.) "I never gave her written notice", -- "wrong, here it is Karen, you signed it. would you like another copy?"
(2.) " you never placed an ad in the paper to rent the apartment, I am going to charge you for that."

-- "I am not responsible for renting your property."
(3.) " well I had to replace broken blinds and other damage."

-- "Karen, as it clearly states on my MOVE IN checklist the damage was there prior to my occupancy" (and I handed her a copy of the list)

She promptly had a "meeting to get to".

2 months later I contacted her about my deposit, she said "I sent it but it came back returned, so I decided you aren't getting it back, and as a matter of fact YOU OWE ME money, and all the papers are already at my attorney's office".

I asked her to resend it immediately, with a letter detailing any deductions-- she refused, I also asked her for the attorney contact information-- she refused.

I tried to resolve this matter out of court -- she refused

I have currently filed a case against her.

Jamie
Fort Collins, Colorado

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/13/2007 12:20 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Karen-Furst/Fort-Collins-Colorado-80524/Karen-Furst-Willful-and-Deliberate-Security-Deposit-Retention-Slumlord-Does-not-make-re-267049. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Karen Furst

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Rebuttal

AUTHOR: karen - (United States of America)

It is suggested that one check court records regarding this unfounded accusation!  Thank you.