Complaint Review: Kay Hicks Design

• Submitted: Sun, December 30, 2007
  • Updated: Tue, May 08, 2012

• Reported By:Calabasas California
Kay Hicks Design
4177 Fair Ave, Studio City, California U.S.A.

Kay Hicks Design Claimed to be a "Designer" and bilked me for $$$$$$ Studio City California

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Rebuttal

*General Comment: Take a Second Look

Kay Hicks was recommended to me by a contractor working in my home, she represents herself as a interior decorator with many years experience. I was puzzled that she had no credentials or references and later I learned that I WAS HER FIRST CUSTOMER! She claimed to be a member of the ASID but they have no record of her at all.

She is essentially a housewife from the Valley that one day decided she was a "Designer". I discovered that she was actually paying a kickback to the contractor that recommended her. It was obvious that had no clue about the design process and she basically got her design inspiration from the displays at Home Depot.

She claimed she worked with the carpenter for "20 years" and I learned that she just met him that morning.

She charged me over $2000 and all she did was pick a color for the tile and run to Home Depot for fixtures.

Kay Hicks is a fraud of the highest order. She is a poser and pretender and she will talk and talk for hours but brings absolutely nothing to table. Complete rip off.

Ham_1957
Calabasas, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/30/2007 01:43 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Kay-Hicks-Design/Studio-City-California/Kay-Hicks-Design-Claimed-to-be-a-Designer-and-bilked-me-for-Studio-City-Californi-295673. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Kay Hicks Design

#1 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Rebuttal

AUTHOR: Kay - (United States of America)

Wow, sure wish I knew who filed this report as I can say without a doubt the information is false, except that I live in the Valley.  My honesty and integrity are number one in my life ... at home and work. I am not a member of ASID and have NEVER stated so.  I am forthright and open about my path and I know,  without a doubt,  my clients would vouch for this.

#2 General Comment

Take a Second Look

AUTHOR: Spiritwhisperer - (United States of America)

I have known Kay Hicks for many many years and have seen first hand how much artistry she can bring to a space.  It makes no difference where she learned what she knows because as a client it is your responsibility to understand and accept, or reject, any vision that is put forth by a designer.

Kay has always had an amazing eye for detail and color...she is careful, specific and yet sees things out of the box as well; however, that being said, you must always pay attention and know what you are getting. If you choose to simply leave everything up to your designer then you may regret that choice.  OR, you may love it!

The point is this...a designer can show you potential, but you as the person who must live in the space, must make the final decision to allow anyone to make that potential a reality.  If you decide to turn it all over to the designer, then don't complain when the end result does not meet your expectations or needs.

Ask questions, do your research and make sure you are comfortable with the person you hire.  If you make a mistake, or fail to do your research, then take responsibility, but do not destroy the reputation of someone by accusing them of fraud or taking kickbacks.