volunteers

• Reported By: PB — Cincinnati Ohio United States of America
Kemba Credit Union
8763 Union Centre Blvd West Chester, Ohio United States of America

Kemba Credit Union REFUSED TO DIRECT DEPOSIT MY IRS REFUND! West Chester, Ohio

*Author of original report: Thank you

*Consumer Comment: I did some further research and....

*Author of original report: Not IRS rule, Kemba rule

*Consumer Comment: I think you'll find the credit union IS doing what's required....

I have been a Kemba customer since 2009.  Today was the last straw.  I am out of town for several weeks, and the first thing that happened was my card would not work once I left town.  Found out they froze my card for "security purposes."  Had to call Kemba from gas station in Georgia so I could buy my gas.  Thank goodness it was before the bank closed.

Then, today, they sent back my direct deposit IRS refund because I have a joint tax return
with my husband, and my account only has my name on it.  NEVER EVER was  this a problem before, not there, not anywhere.  REFUSED to bend.  My refund went in last year no problem.  Their response was "we made a mistake last year, it should have been refused."  REALLY?  I had no prior notice from them whatsoever on either of these things.

There have been other instances that have happened before; these are the last straws.  Last year, they sent me a letter with notice of NSF charges on a business account I had closed the year before.  They charged me because I didn't keep enough money in it.  The account was closed for all that time and I never received anything from them until the charges got pretty high.  I was out of town at that time, also.  I was able to prove I had closed that account, so they had to refund my money.

I am 1000 miles from home; they told me the ONLY way they wouldn't send my money back to the IRS is if my husband came in to the branch personally and I added him to my account.  Of course, that wasn't possible!  I have cashed checks before with both of our names on it and they have his driver's license and signature information on file.  When I asked for the manager named "Ally" to call me back about this, I received no return call.  Plus, as soon as I had hung up with them, they released my money back to the IRS.  They were very rude and nasty about it.  Hey, we are sorry but too bad for you.  Told me they should have sent it back last year, too.  It will take at least 5 weeks to have the IRS send a check to my house now.  I needed the money TODAY not 5 weeks later.

Now, I am out of town without my refund I was depending on to pay my bills while here.  They have caused me much anxiety over this and it's NEEDLESS.  I have never gotten any notices regarding the "mistake" from last tax season, nor did they send me anything about freezing my card when I left town...all in the name of "we are protecting your accounts from fraud."  Well, the only fraud I am seeing is with KEMBA!  I had no reason to believe they would refuse to deposit my refund.  Had I known, I would have closed my account with them BEFORE leaving town for 4 weeks.  I will be closing it as soon as I arrive home.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/05/2013 06:34 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Kemba-Credit-Union/West-Chester-Ohio-45069/Kemba-Credit-Union-REFUSED-TO-DIRECT-DEPOSIT-MY-IRS-REFUND-West-Chester-Ohio-1024092. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Kemba Credit Union

AUTHOR: PB - (United States of America)

Thank you, Ken, for spending time researching. Yes, they have greatly inconvenienced me. It is not good to be out of town and not have the money that you were depending on, and they could have released my money but chose not to. It is very poor service and not acceptable to have a legitimate deposit be returned like that with no warning! I am also a licensed real estate agent, and I will not be using this institution as a place for my clients to get loans. I have connections elsewhere where I know I will get better service from now on.

I did some further research and....

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

googled IRS tax refund direct deposit rules and found that it IS the banking institution that determines how the deposits are handled.  It would appear to be in the best interest of their depositors.

Sorry you were so badly inconvenienced.

Not IRS rule, Kemba rule

AUTHOR: PB - (United States of America)

Prior to posting my complaint here, I spoke with my accounting office and with the IRS. Both said this was unusual, it was not an IRS rule. The IRS representative I spoke to said he sees refusals when someone puts in the wrong checking account numbers for example, but not because of a joint refund going into one of the person's verified checking account. Kemba said it was their rule.

The IRS representative was way more professional than my own banking institution. They refused to even hold my money until I returned to town. As I mentioned in my original report, I have never had a problem before In any of my previous checking accounts, including Kemba last year. If last year's deposit was a mistake, they are a year too late informing me about it.

I think you'll find the credit union IS doing what's required....

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

by IRS rules.  This happens to many every year.  Check with the IRS.

The credit union has no choice to stay within the law.