Complaint Review: Kemgas

• Reported By: pygmygrl — Albion California United States of America
Kemgas
1300 North Main Street Fort Bragg, California United States of America

Kemgas Undisclosed fees and pricing Fort Bragg, California

I just signed up with Kemgas following egregious service by another company.  Eric, the man who took my call, was charming, but neglected to mention some important information:

1.  I was told that my first fill price was $1.69 per gallon.  He never mentioned that it was likely to be more than that because the rate was tied to the refinery price.  In other words, he stated that this was a firm price when in fact it is not.

2.  The same is true for the first year rate I was quoted of $1.89 per gallon "locked in".  This price also fluctuates with the refinery price, so its very unlikely that the rate quoted will be the rate charged.  When I called to follow up on the installation I was told my David that Eric should have mentioned it and apologized.  Nonetheless, my confidence is already strained.

3.  I was also told that the tank installation and safety inspection was free.  Turns out, its not.  Per David, the lease (that I have not yet received in the mail) contains a rebate coupon.  The customer fills it out and returns it with the signed lease within 90 days to obtain the refund - you WILL be charged up front.  I presume this is so they get you to sign up for several years at a time.  Since I'm in a rental and do not plan on staying here for three more years, this coupon is virtually useless.

4.  I pre-paid the amount of $375 by credit card.  When I added up the figures it didn't make sense.  David told me that the initial fill is 170 gallons (or 80% of a 200 gallon tank), which at $1.69 per gallon comes to $287.30, not $375.00.  He said there was a delivery fee (also never mentioned by Eric) of $12.95, for a total of $300.25.  I have overpaid by $75.00.  David said he would post a credit in this amount to my account, but, again, I know I will have to monitor this closely since I no longer trust the information I was given initially.

5.  I did ask how I could check the refinery prices to keep tabs on how the rate hikes were being figured.  David said he would look into it and let me know.  There has to be a way to discover how the rate hike is determined or else they can charge pretty much anything and tell the customer its due to an increase in cost at the refinery.

Good luck to all of you propane users.  Seems like a lot of trouble for something that should be straightforward, especially in a small community.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/15/2013 10:53 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Kemgas/Fort-Bragg-California-95437/Kemgas-Undisclosed-fees-and-pricing-Fort-Bragg-California-997191. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Kemgas