grown

• Updated: Tue, September 10, 2013

• Reported By: Wonda — Birmingham Alabama
Kenley Apartments
10 Kenley Way, Birmingham, Alabama USA

Kenley Apartments Arruth Associates Inc. Visitor's Car Towed In Less Than 15 Minutes Birmingham Alabama

The first time I walked into my apartment the sun was setting on the lake, & I fell in love with it. If people have soulmates, this is my soulplace. Kenley is not paradise by any means. The truth is tenants pay an exorbitant amount of rent for the privilege to exist in one of the units. A tenant is not supposed to actually use anything for fear of getting it dirty or causing wear. Even though, when you move out in a couple of years, they still send you a bill for a few hundred dollars anyway and turn it over to collections right away if you don’t pay. And yes I did sign the 75 page lease of rules, no one made me.

The apartment complex is showing it’s age, and the appliances are just about shot. My dishwasher and stove has never worked up to par but maintenance is good to come and put a band aid on things when you call them. If I try to watch TV, I have to turn off the AC/heat in order to hear it. But I can hear the guy upstairs like he is in the same apartment with me.

Like most apartment complexes, Kenley has a problem with late night/weekend parking. Two years after I moved in, parking rules changed to where resident’s cars have decals. And visitor’s cars without decals must park in the guest parking areas only, even if they will be visiting for two minutes.” Well, I am at one end of the complex guest parking is at the other end of the complex. I protested vehemently to the Manager at the time, to no avail. The majority of the time and into the evening, there are plenty of parking spaces open, but if your visitor gets caught parking in one of them, they will be towed. Can you imagine that no one can come by and drop off or pick up something? And no one can come to visit or for dinner. Kenley Management enjoys being bullies. Their attitude is that they can do anything they want, and if you don’t like it, then tough.

While it may not seem like a big deal to some, I keep my 18 month old grandson a couple of times each week & often I would cook for my child(ren) when they picked him up. We do not do this anymore. Several weeks ago, when they picked him up they came in for less than 15 minutes. When they left my apartment, their car was already loaded on a wrecker ready to be towed. The property rent-a-cop yelled and cursed at my DIL and at another tenant who was trying to help her. He threatened to have them arrested. They had to pay $150 in order to get their car off the wrecker so they could go home.

I talked to the present Manager and tried to explain how this parking situation has actually affected my quality of life. When my grandson is brought over, my children do not park and come inside. I walk him to and from the parking lot. I was recently sick for several days, and my children called, but could not come to check on me because I was too sick to get up and drive to guest parking. And they could not park and come in for fear of being towed.

I no longer invite family & friends over for dinner because it is too much of a hassle. Since the problem is late night/weekend parking, why isn’t that problem being addressed? A rent-a-cop having cars towed at times when there is adequate parking available makes no sense while cars that park overnight & from Friday to Sunday are not bothered.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/09/2013 11:23 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Kenley-Apartments/Birmingham-Alabama-35242/Kenley-Apartments-Arruth-Associates-Inc-Visitors-Car-Towed-In-Less-Than-15-Minutes-Birm-1083138. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Kenley Apartments