Complaint Review: Kenmore Mercy Hospital

• Updated: Thu, March 06, 2014

• Reported By: diamondback — Mesa Arizona
Kenmore Mercy Hospital
2950 Elmwood Ave Kenmore, New York USA

Kenmore Mercy Hospital Failure to provide proper patient care in ER Kenmore New York

*Consumer Comment: I'm the friend.

*General Comment: A little about Kenmore Mercy...

*Consumer Comment: Yea..and what is the rest of the story..

*Consumer Comment: You could not be so wrong

*Consumer Comment: I STRONGLY suspect you're NOT telling the whole story..

On Monday, February 24, 2014, I was in town visiting friends. I had been experiencing chest pains for awhile, along with shortness of breath. That day, I started coughing up some blood, along with other symptoms. My friends insisted I go to the ER for treatment (they thought it was heart related, I did not). I was seen by a doctor, and he issued some tests including blood work, xrays and a CT scan. During this whole experience, I was in a great deal of pain. I asked for pain medication from the nurse, who then asked the doctor. I was informed that, except in the most dire of serious medical injuries, this hospital did not administer or prescribe narcotic painkillers. I understand that there are a lot of folks out there with drug problems, but this is a hospital. There duty is to take care of their patient, their injuries or emergency, and pain managment. I also understand that doctors are under extreme political pressure by the DEA to not administer or prescribe said drugs.

This is all about politics, and patients are suffering. I do not understand this "anti-painkiller" craze that seems to be sweeping the public these days. I hear it on the radio and tv, but did not know the extent of things until my ER visit. As far as Kenmore Mercy, I will not take a friend or family member there for any reason at this point. Any hospital that gives in to the rediculous political pressure to not ease their patients pain issues, should not be in business at all. I am fed up with this liberal "Big Brother knows best" attitude that the government has taken up. Instead of making legitimate patients with legitimate pain suffer, why not treat the drug problem at it's foundation. Fix the people with addictions. By banning ANY substance, you are only forcing them to go to the "bad guys" (gangs and drug dealers) to get their "fix". Did we not learn ANYTHING from Prohibition???

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/26/2014 07:38 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Kenmore-Mercy-Hospital/Kenmore-New-York-14217/Kenmore-Mercy-Hospital-Failure-to-provide-proper-patient-care-in-ER-Kenmore-New-York-1126634. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Kenmore Mercy Hospital

I'm the friend.

AUTHOR: Magic05 - ()

The truth is he was living with me. A few days of feeling heavy chested, he asked me to take him to the ER. He has no job, no health insurance and felt Obama owes him. He is someone who lived of the grid so he doesn't have to pay child support. Any way. I'm a nurse and I found out later he was with me because being in healthcare, he thought I could get pain killers easily. Wrong. So we go to ER. Mind you on the tax payers penny.

They do all these test, he complains of arm pain because of the CT scan and the way they positioned him. Crying out in pain. Asked the nurse for something stronger. He supposedly diagnosed with Crohns in which case certain medication would make it worse. Tylenol was not dulling his phantom pain. He stated that this is BS and wanted out of there.

Nothing wrong of course just looking for some pills. Three months later he is no longer living with me yet I'm getting bills from collection agencies for his stay there. People like him are terrible con artist and get angry when people don't fall for their antics. Please do nothing to help this man. That hospital was nothing but caring and quick to help someone with no intention on paying back for their services.

#2 General Comment

A little about Kenmore Mercy...

AUTHOR: Striderq - ()

From their website: Formed in 1998 under four religious sponsors, Catholic Health in Buffalo, NY is a non-profit healthcare system that provides care to Western New Yorkers across a network of hospitalsprimary care centersimaging centers, and several other community ministries.

Kenmore is a Catholic Hospital. As such they do not use pain killers to the extent that other hospitals do. Not a rip off, just the result of their belief system.

You said your friends thought you were having a heart issue but that you didn't think so. With symptoms of " chest pains for awhile, along with shortness of breath. That day, I started coughing up some blood, along with other symptoms" for you to believe it WASN'T heart related makes me believe that you've experienced these symptoms before. Maybe a result of being without your meds, prescription or otherwise.

Yea..and what is the rest of the story..

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

Okay doctors and hospitals DO NOT just issue medication...ANY medication...unless they know what is wrong with the patient.  So no ER, Doctor, Nurse is going to give you any pain medication until the test results are back.

But with the rest of your report you sound like a total drug addict and is just upset that they didn't give you a "fix".

Oh by the way, after they did all of these tests what did they diagnose your condition as?

You could not be so wrong

AUTHOR: Stacey - ()

You were in "pain" like you stated and asked for pain medication???? Really??? Did you not have the patient to wait until all the test results came back?? Sounds like you are an addict seeking pain meds for withdrawal.  Yes it is a HOSPITAL that has a duty to protect patients like you from your addiction to narcotics. Hospitals do administer narcotics to those who need it for pain related to serious medical injuries like gun shots, stab wounds, etc etc.  NOT to junkies seeking a fix!  Complain all you like but the Medical staff made a decision in your best interest regardless of you drivel about DEA crap.

"Any hospital that gives in to the rediculous political pressure to not ease their patients pain issues, should not be in business at all. I am fed up with this liberal "Big Brother knows best" attitude that the government has taken up. Instead of making legitimate patients with legitimate pain suffer, why not treat the drug problem at it's foundation. Fix the people with addictions. By banning ANY substance, you are only forcing them to go to the "bad guys" (gangs and drug dealers) to get their "fix". Did we not learn ANYTHING from Prohibition???"  What a load of crap. You pretty much admitted to being an addict and the only way to treat a drug problem is through intense inpatient treatment.

I STRONGLY suspect you're NOT telling the whole story..

AUTHOR: Ken - ()

I would bet you demanded a narcotic painkiller, which would be a sign of someone addicted to them and they declined to suppport your habit.  Is that more like what happened?

"By banning ANY substance, you are only forcing them to go to the "bad guys" (gangs and drug dealers) to get their "fix". Did we not learn ANYTHING from Prohibition???"

This sounds just like the stupid statement and thinking of an addict.  I doubt any Ripoff occurred here.

" Fix the people with addictions."

That's what they were TRYING to do.