• Report: #331956

• Submitted: Sun, May 11, 2008
  • Updated: Wed, June 25, 2008

• Reported By:Middleton Idaho
Key Bank
https://www.key.com/index.html Boise, Idaho U.S.A.

Key Bank Check cashing fees Boise Idaho

*Consumer Suggestion: Cash at your own bank

*Consumer Suggestion: Cash at your own bank

I went to cash a check drawn on Key Bank. Although the person had their their personal account at that branch I was charged $7.50

The only recourse I had was to tell that person that I needed another $7.50 as their bank debited the check.

I confronted them with this policy (it is thievery). Their answer was that it was standard industry policy. This is not true. It is their policy. I implore people that bank with institutions that do this to move their accounts elsewhere. We can not let these corporations to steal from us consumers. I have talked to account holders with key bank and they are appalled at the charges that this bank opposes on them. For instance lost debit card. This debit card cost cost over $50.00 for this person to replace. My wife is continually losing her card. My bank replaces it for free! Why do people with accounts at these type of banks continue to do business with them?

What if I bank with Key Bank and write my grandchild a check for their birthday. The child goes to the bank with their $10.00 check and walk out with $2.50. What a crock of @#$%.

Dillinger did not have anything on these people. Our govt' won't do anything as these people lobby them not too. It is up to us!

You think I am going to open an account with a bank just so I can cash a check there? Think again!!

Neil
Middleton, Idaho

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/11/2008 08:22 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Key-Bank/Boise-Idaho/Key-Bank-Check-cashing-fees-Boise-Idaho-331956. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Key Bank

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Cash at your own bank

AUTHOR: Shanks - (U.S.A.)

This is fee is not for all checks cashed at a bank, it's for a non-customer cashing a check taht is drawn on that bank. I don't bank with Key, but this is not just them, pretty much every bank does this. Why did you not just take it to your bank and cash it or deposit it? With every check a bank cashes, they take on some risk. If the person cashing a check there has an account there, the risk is much smaller. Many banks will make you have at least that amount of money on deposit at that time to cash a personal check drawn on a another bank. However, when you come in off the street w/o an account at a bank and with a check drawn on their bank, they have very little recourse if the check is fraudulent.

You also said this:

"What if I bank with Key Bank and write my grandchild a check for their birthday. The child goes to the bank with their $10.00 check and walk out with $2.50."

I think you are misunderstanding some, as that is not correct. If YOU bank with Key and give someone a check and they go to THEIR bank, their own bank will not charge them any fee.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Cash at your own bank

AUTHOR: Shanks - (U.S.A.)

You also said this: