- Report: #337378
Report - Rebuttal - Arbitrate
Complaint Review: Kia Motors America
Kia Motors AmericaPO Box 52410 Irvine, California U.S.A.
Kia Motors America Kia Motors " The Power to Surprise". Timing Belt = Dead Engine, Twice !! Irvine California
*Consumer Comment: The author is right...
*Author of original report: Please reply only if you have "some" professional experience - no shade trees allowed
*Consumer Comment: Sure you are
Short for: Killed In Action
Surprised, when your car is on the side of the road dead with a seized engine.
January 2005 while traveling in New Mexico the timing belt broke (just shy of 53k on the car). Was towed into Horace Kia (Santa Fe, NM.) Had to complain to Kia Consumer Assistance to get a greyhound bus ticket home while Horace Kia replaced the engine under warranty. What happened to "trip interruption"??
At the same time a "TSB" comes out about "improved timing belts" for the Kia Rio.
May 21, 2008 (112k on the car) squeal...on the side on the road in seconds.. pulley froze throwing the timing belt destroying yet another engine..
Shouldn't the timing components be changed when changing the belt and a new engine?
* 1st call: you are out of warranty by 12k
* 2nd call: (supervisor) - could have been engine sludge
* Called two Kia dealers asking if this was a common problem - response "problem on every Kia ever made"
* Filled complaints with the BBB Autoline and the NHTSA website.
* 3rd call: Kia regional office (Anna) receives my BBB complaint. She will speak with a district manager about my car.
* 4th call: follow up - the district manager says it's out of warranty "sorry"
(reminds me of the Hyundai Excel from the 80's)
53k on the first engine
59k on the second engine (warranty on a replacement engine 12 months????)
I have asked for one of two things to happen
1. fix the car
2. buy me out of the vehicle
I am a certified mechanic with 15 years of experience and have followed the "severe maintenance" schedule to the letter. Replace timing belt every 60k - would love to if it could actually make it to that mileage.
Kia knows it is an issue but rather than do the customer service thing and notify customers of a potential issue (liability) They just choose to ignore the problem and/or weasel their way out of fixing the cars by any excuse they can come up with.
Should have known better...
So until some type of resolution is met. Every time I see a Kia owner I tell them the story and tell them to either change the timing belt every 40k or sell the car ASAP.
Should have known better
Colorado Springs, Colorado
This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/05/2008 10:22 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Kia-Motors-America/Irvine-California-92619-2410/Kia-Motors-America-Kia-Motors-The-Power-to-Surprise-Timing-Belt-Dead-Engine-Twice--337378. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.
Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report.
If you would like to see more Rip-off Reports on this company/individual, search here:Search Tips
In order to assure the best results in your search:
- Keep the name short & simple, and try different variations of the name.
- Do not include ".com", "S", "Inc.", "Corp", or "LLC" at the end of the Company name.
- Use only the first/main part of a name to get best results.
- Only search one name at a time if Company has many AKA's.
Advertisers above have met our
strict standards for business conduct.
- Business's (11)
- Lawyers and Law Firms (5312)
- Administrative Law (11)
- Admiralty & Maritime Law (27)
- Agricultural Law (2)
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (10)
- Antitrust & Trade Regulation (1)
- Appellate Practice (72)
- Aviation & Aerospace (11)
- Banking Law (90)
- Bankruptcy (380)
- Business Law (232)
- Civil Rights (55)
- Class Actions (30)
- Commercial Law (13)
- Communications Law (1)
- Constitutional Law (1)
- Construction Law (83)
- Contracts (7)
- Corporate Law (75)
- Criminal Law (668)
- Debtor & Creditor (51)
- Education Law (14)
- Elder Law (77)
- ElectionCampaign & Political (0)
- Eminent Domain (5)
- Employee Benefits (7)
- Energy (0)
- Entertainment & Sports (17)
- Environmental Law (43)
- Family Law (13)
- Finance (0)
- Government (14)
- Government Contracts (2)
- Health Care (1)
- Immigration (482)
- Indians & Native Populations (1)
- Insurance (90)
- Intellectual Property (526)
- International Law (33)
- International Trade (0)
- Internet Law (7)
- Investments (1)
- Labor & Employment (12)
- Legal Malpractice (92)
- Litigation (20)
- Media Law (1)
- Medical Malpractice (13)
- Mergers & Acquisitions (0)
- Military Law (5)
- Natural Resources (10)
- Occupational Safety & Health (0)
- Personal Injury (842)
- Products Liability (21)
- Professional Liability (0)
- Real Estate (361)
- Securities (169)
- Taxation (142)
- Technology & Science (0)
- Toxic Torts (0)
- Transportation (2)
- Trusts & Estates (368)
- White Collar Crime (1)
- Wills & Probate (7)
- Workers Compensation (242)
- Zoning, Planning & Land Use (10)
- Legal Services (32)
- Arbitrators/Mediators (7)
- Automotive Expert Witnesses (0)
- Bail Bonds (0)
- Court Reporters (1)
- Electronic Data Discovery (1)
- Expert Witnesses (1)
- Forensic Experts (1)
- Jury Selection (0)
- Legal Assistants (8)
- Legal Speakers (2)
- Litigation Support (2)
- Medical Expert Witnesses (1)
- Other (14)
- Paralegal (5)
- Private Investigators (6)
- Process Servers (7)
- Translators/Interpreters (0)
- Miscellaneous Business Services (19)