Complaint Review: Kings Court Builders Inc.

• Submitted: Mon, December 24, 2012
  • Updated: Thu, February 14, 2013

• Reported By: AJ — ELGIN Illinois United States of America
Kings Court Builders Inc.
P.O. BOX 5070 naperville, Illinois United States of America

Kings Court Builders Inc. Pete S. owner of the Company The Owner Who Promised But Raised His Price Anyway. naperville, Illinois

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: King's Court Builders Response

*Consumer Comment: King's Court Builders were wonderful to work with

After researching 9 builders in 3 1/2 months, my wife and I settled on Kings Court Builders of Highland Woods.The first time I met Pete the owner of the Co. in early November, we were looking at the Thompson model which had a base price of $314,000. We liked the upfront pricing and the option pricing. When we met Pete, he asked me when we wanted to start building as he had several homes starting construction.I said we were ok with an August 1st move in date as we were flexible in that area.He said that was good so "We had time to work out the details".

We went through the pricing quick as we knew what we wanted. We were waiting for 2 minor price options to come back for 13 days when I recieved a message from Ammie , Pete's saleswomen, saying the Thompson model was put on hold as they were going to increase the Base price. Today, the 14th day waiting for minor pricing, Pete informs me it will be approximatly $10,000 more added to the base price. As we have been waiting patiently for the minor price options to come back, we feel he went back on his word of "We have time to work out the details". They knew we were ready to sign as I told them as much. We have found the house with the options we want with the lot and community we want to live in. This took quite a large amount of time to find the fit and we do not want to start over as we are already streched past our budget for our new home. I hope Pete honors his advertised pricing and his word as we want him to build our new home.

This is what I filed with the BBB.As they are moving slow, I decided to post here. As of December 24th 2012 they still have the same base price that we were quoted. We are hoping Pete will still honor his word.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/24/2012 08:47 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Kings-Court-Builders-Inc/naperville-Illinois-60567-5070/Kings-Court-Builders-Inc-Pete-S-owner-of-the-Company-The-Owner-Who-Promised-But-Raised-986710. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Kings Court Builders Inc.

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

King's Court Builders Response

AUTHOR: Pete Stefani, President, King''s Cou - (United States of America)

I first met Mr. and Mrs. Sever on Thursday November 8 when they had visited our model in Elgin. They had mentioned their experiences of pricing out homes with many different builders and that all of them were nickeling and diming them to death. They asked for pricing on about 15 items including removing a bedroom and adding a custom steam shower. Removing the bedroom required conversations with my architect before we could determine the credit for it. The pricing was prepared and given to my salesperson who set up an appointment to present it to the Severs on Saturday November 17.

They complained about some of the pricing. In response to their concerns I agreed to meet with them on Sunday November 18. In particular they were not happy with the custom steam shower price. They brought a printout of a steam unit they found on the internet and wanted to know why the price I was charging was so much higher. I explained to them that we priced out a 6x 4 mud poured base (compared to the standard 48 x 34 fiberglass base), 4 body sprays (which they asked for), a custom made 3/8 thick glass enclosure with venting flap (compared to a 4 wide 3/16 glass standard bi-pass door). He acknowledged this was more than other builders had figured in and wanted a lesser priced alternative.

They were also not happy with any of the standard lots we offer. They wanted to drive around and look at the lots again and asked me if I had any other standard lots that werent currently on the market.

Despite having a lot of open items at this meeting on November 18 Mr. Sever wanted to negotiate the price further. He indicated we were over his budget and that if I worked with him on price he would go to contract. HE NEVER INDICATED A WILLINGNESS TO MOVE FORWARD AT THE BASE PRICE GIVEN.

Unrelated to my dealings with the Severs lumber prices continued to spike and there were new codes that were going to cost more from the City of Elgin as well as Elgins adoption of the latest International Residential Code which forced me to raise my prices.

Building a custom home takes a great amount of communication, trust, and cooperation and I had come to the conclusion that this was not going to be the case between the Severs and Kings Court Builders and my salesperson notified Mr. Sever of a pending price increase knowing that since he was over budget already they would not be building with us.

Mr. Severs reaction was strong and he made two of my employees uncomfortable with his actions on two different occasions. This confirmed my decision that we would never build for him at any price.

Kings Court Builders has built well over 900 homes since 1986 and whereas it would be difficult to satisfy every customer we continue to garner many repeat buyers and a significantly higher than industry average number of sales from referrals.

King's Court Builders were wonderful to work with

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (United States of America)

I felt compelled to take a moment and express how wonderful the experience was to work with Pete, Aimee and everyone else affiliated with King's Court Builders.  My wife and I had our home built by King's Court and it was beyond amazing how professional, honest and supportive they are.  From Pete (owner) on down to the sub-contractors everyone was open to opinions,  accommodating to our needs and quick to get us an answer when we had questions.

We also spent many months researching builders as it's a major decision and one we wanted to make correctly without regret.  Choosing King's Court was the beyond a doubt the right choice and we are forever grateful for the home they built us.  We had numerous change-orders both structurally and to the interior.  Most of the pricing was accessible to Aimee immediately and those that we had to wait on only took a day or two at the most.  Everything was seamless and direct with no fine print or stipulations.

Pete has been building homes for over a quarter century and I believe Aimee has been there for most of that.  Every contractor we met with (electrical, flooring, appliance, low-voltage, lighting, granite, closets, etc.) commented how great it is to work with them and how they consider King's Court one of the best in the business.  Heck, King's Court got high praises from the woman whose office we sat in during our closing.  Moreover, this woman happened to share some horror stories of what buyers from other builders have told her.  Needless to say my wife and I walked out of closing with even bigger smiles on our faces.

While every experience is different I can attest for my wife and I, along with all our neighbors, that King's Court is wonderful to work with and build beautiful homes.  You won't be disappointed.