Complaint Review: Kingston Emporium

• Submitted: Mon, March 09, 2009
  • Updated: Mon, November 30, 2009

• Reported By:warwick Rhode Island
Kingston Emporium
99 Fortin Road Kingston, Rhode Island U.S.A.

Kingston Emporium, J & D Towing, Marley Properties Towing, URI, Kingston, Scam Kingston Rhode Island

*General Comment: Re: J&D Towing / Marley Properties

This morning I parked in the Emporium and went straight into Bagelz. After eating (I was in there for approximately 25 minutes), I came out, and my car was already towed. I NEVER left the property. However, a mysterious "security guard" named Hugh claims I left and never went to Bagelz, then flat-out called me a liar (on the phone, I never saw this mysterious man).

After calling the police, Marley Properties, and J & D Towing to complain, I realized the situation was completely out of my hands. Management at Bagelz expressed their concern, and told me they are sick of their employees and customers being towed. When researching this online to see if it has been happening to anyone else, I came across an article written by URI's "The Good 5c Cigar". I found an article written only 3 days ago, and realized I am definitely not the only one this is happening to. I really feel Emporium customers are being scammed, and I am wondering if this "Hugh" has a quota he is required to meet. So basically a $4 trip to Bagelz cost me an extra $112.50. I did not even have class today, so as far as I am concerned, I was an ordinary citizen under attack.

Ashg614
warwick, Rhode Island

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/09/2009 10:22 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Kingston-Emporium/Kingston-Rhode-Island/Kingston-Emporium-J-D-Towing-Marley-Properties-Towing-URI-Kingston-Scam-Kingston-Rh-432257. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Kingston Emporium

#1 General Comment

Re: J&D Towing / Marley Properties

AUTHOR: R. von Andele - (United States of America)

I'm very sorry to hear that your car was towed at this property. These types of issues constantly arise around properties that border educational institutions & churches. Unfortunatley the property owner, Marley Properties has the right and obligation to enforce the parking regulations set forth in their tenant leases.

Marley Properties stated that it hired an outside security agency to watch the property as there had been complaints by the tenants of students taking up parking spaces intended for customers. I don't believe that the gaurd who seems to be unaffiliated with the towing service has a quota as in these types of arrangements, the property owners rarely make anything off of the towing fees, rather it is to ensure compliance and happy tenants.

I would be concerned with how they judge who to tow & who not to. You stated that you are a student, perhaps your parking tag/sticker from the university was visible, if that is the case, always make sure you remove your hanger before parking in a commercial business complex so you won't be viewed as a student.

Also, if parking is for customers only there should be a sign posted stating such on the property along with the towing companies information. That is regulation. If you were infact only in Bagelz for a few moments and didn't leave the commercial property and go on to the campus your receipt and initial calls out to the police & Marley Properties should establish a tight timeline that would afford you the opportunity to seek action if you were unjustly towed as you can prove your whereabouts.

I hope this helps!