Complaint Review: Kira Willoughby

• Submitted: Thu, April 07, 2011
  • Updated: Mon, November 28, 2011

• Reported By: Just_Me — United States of America
San Fernando Valley, California United States of America

Kira Willoughby Laura Willoughby Craft Services; Indie Casting Director; Fraudulent Film Producer San Fernando Valley, California

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Kira Willoughby

I was approached some time ago by a woman named Kira Willoughby, representing herself as an "Executive Producer" for feature film projects.

I did research on her, and -- although there was not enough of a definitive case to be made that she was a scam artist (at the time) -- she had no discernible producing credits...

Nonetheless, she agreed to take on my project without an upfront fee, in an attempt to find funding and secure her attachment based on performance.

Sounds fair, right?

Fast forward to many months later, I came to find out that she had been reaching out to agents and investors, representing herself as a "Producer" on my project, and utilizing the cast attachments and distribution arrangements I already had as leverage to help package and raise financing for her other projects.

Upon further investigation, it came to light that she had also been charging producers an up-front fee to help them raise additional financing and cast for their films.  Throughout the course of her dealings with those individuals, she managed to raise all of zero dollars, and -- when the term of their agreements expired -- she was unable or unwilling to repay the fees she had charged.

Litigation on those matters is now underway.

Whether it becomes a lawsuit, a conviction, or just a hard lesson, this is a typical practice in the film business, and it's very easy for someone to represent themselves as a produce, even though they have no credits in that realm, simply because many money people often aren't concerned with credits, only profits.

At this point, it would appear that the wheels are coming off her fragile operation, because a number of her film projects which were previously listed as "In Development" or "Pre-Production" have disappeared from her company slate.  On that note, it also looks like a few posts are cropping up on her IMDb page, and other message boards.

Furthermore, I was unable to find a legitimately incorporated company called "Willoughby Pictures" in CA, NV, LA, NM, MI, NC, GA, CT, or DE.  If you're in the film business, you'd be listed in one or more of these.

In summary, I am posting this to create a thread which can be referenced, henceforth.  This woman is not who she says she is, she does not have the contacts or resources she represents, and -- if you are serious about dealing with legitimate individuals in film so as to not waste time being conned -- she should be avoided at all costs.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/07/2011 11:33 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Kira-Willoughby/San-Fernando-Valley-California-/Kira-Willoughby-Laura-Willoughby-Craft-Services-Indie-Casting-Director-Fraudulent-Film-P-715053. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Kira Willoughby

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Kira Willoughby

AUTHOR: Kira - (United States of America)

I would like first ask Ripoff Report.com to remove this as this is not a true account of the facts and since this is not a court of law, I feel that I should at least offer the truth to this situation.

I believe also that if a person is going to make a true statement then they should give their name and back of the facts, just like I am going to do.

This is Kira Willoughby and my production company is registered in the State of California. I will be more than happy to provide proof to any one who asks me directly. My email is kfilmpro@aol.com and my attorney will contact you and provide the proof.

I have never represented myself as a producer on any project that I do not have a contract on.

IMDB constantly changes as projects change and that is also verifiable. Also, there is NOTHING listed on IMDB about me negative. Please look it up. www.imdb.com Kira Willoughby

Please email me with any questions you have as I am filing an injunction against the person who filed this fraudulent report against me and this website if they are not able to remove it.