Complaint Review: Koala House Inc.

• Submitted: Sat, October 09, 2010
  • Updated: Thu, January 10, 2013

• Reported By: Its me — tampa Florida USA
Koala House Inc.
148 April Lane. Tampa, Fl. 33614 Internet United States of America

Koala House Inc. Koala Recovery House, Koala Home A Recovery house where drinking and snorting roxys is an everyday event since theres no supervision! Internet

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: rebuttal to Rip-Off Report

*General Comment: Koala House was instrumental in my recovery

Im writing this report, not for myself but for all the people out there trying to recover from addictions.

I was comming off a drug that I was addicted to and decided that I couldnt do it on my own, and I found the Koala House Recovery Center Online.

If you go to the website www.koalahouseinc. you will see a beauiful website telling you how there are the best after care stuctured living.

When I got there in the women facilities, the place was run down, tatered curtains, fility living conditions.  The smell along is enough to send you in the other direction.  But most of these women are court ordered and still have to pay 600.00 a month.  When looking at other facilities dont seems like much, but the best is yet to come.

Since there is noooooo structure at all, no meetings on site, no house den mother, no piss testing, no cleaning, no food.....Everyone sits around at night and does their drug of choice, and then the same during the day!

I have not seen nothing like it.  The women know what to take for their once a month court orderd piss test to pass it.  But they dont have to worry cause their no one there but 2 nights a week to pick them up and drop them off for a 1 hour meeting.

Thats what your money is paying for a the Koala House, you can take a cab yourself an save 600.00 month and not subject you daughter or son to more drug abuse.

The Koala House teaches your love one's who have an addiction how to cheat the system, and stay high................good luck

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/09/2010 03:31 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Koala-House-Inc/internet/Koala-House-Inc-Koala-Recovery-House-Koala-Home-A-Recovery-house-where-drinking-and-snor-649239. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Koala House Inc.

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

rebuttal to Rip-Off Report

AUTHOR: tom - (United States of America)

This Ripoff report was brought to my attention. I have no idea who wrote it or why it was written. The only accurate information is the address of the house. I did notice that the report was written in October 2010. Upon reflection, I remember dismissing three residents during that month for conduct detrimental to recovery. Addicts frequently react with anger when confronted with the consequences of their behavior. I suspect that the report was written as a result of these dismissals.

Koala House has resident managers in all  houses. These managers are responsible for enforcing all Koala House protocols. All residents are required to submit to random drug/alcohol screens, must attend two house meetings and daily self help group meetings, must follow a curfew, are assigned simple housekeeping chores and must continue to take any medications that might be prescribed by their physician. Residents may smoke cigarettes as long as they do so outdoors. Residents who are prescribed meds by their physician must continue to take those meds until they are changed by their physician. Visitors are welcome as long as the house manager approves. Family reunification is an important part of recovery and family members are permitted to attend house meetings. Residents are treated with respect and are seen an individuals dealing with a disease. Recovery is difficult at first but it becomes a joyful process.

The house is immaculate. It sits on an acre of property at the end of a quiet street in a safe neighborhood. There is a large inground swimming pool. When any damage occurs to furniture, shades, etc, as a result of daily living, it is immediately taken care of. Residents are required to prepare their own meals. There is no cook or maid service.

Koala House has been an integral facet of the recovery community in Central Florida since 1994, receiving referrals from throughout the United States. Whenever logistically possible, family members or potential residents are encouraged to visit Koala House facilities before beginning residence. Altho occasionally some residents are court ordered, most residents are entirely voluntary. The average length of stay is about 18 months.

Unfortunately it appears that anyone for any reason may sumit a mean and inaccurate Ripoff report of a business anonymously without offering any evidence in support and this report will be published.

#2 General Comment

Koala House was instrumental in my recovery

AUTHOR: Kristin - (United States of America)

I moved into the Koala House fresh from treatment in 2005 and lived at the April Lane home until 2007. However, Iwas kicked out of the Koala House for a month during that time because I used drugs and tested positive for using in a drug test. I was allowed back in after a sobriety deposit.I left on my own in 2007 as a house manager because it was time for me to start living on my own as a woman in recovery.

Koala House on April Lane IS a recovery home, (not a detox or treatment center) with two mandatory house meetings a week. Not sure how long "It is me" lived there but the entire time I lived there, there were random drug tests, curfews and required chores and a house manager. If curfew was broken or chores not done, I received consequences. If someone tested positive for drugs or alcohol, they were immediately asked to leave.I have children and they stayed many nights with me at the Koala House, as long as the other women were ok with it, and they were.Cleaning and food are the responsibilities of the women living there. You clean up after yourself and buy your own food. There is no maid.

I will never be able to give back what the Koala House gave me. The owners were available for help, when I asked for it. I continue to support Koala House and recommend Koala for anyone looking for a recovery home.