Complaint Review: Kroger Fuel

Kroger Fuel
1905 N.Jackson St. Tullahoma, Tennessee United States of America

Kroger Fuel Stole my Money! Tullahoma, Tennessee

*Consumer Comment: I will never use kroger fuel

*Consumer Comment: I haven't heard of this anywhere but Kroger.

*Consumer Suggestion: Keep eating there Stacie, KEEP EATING THERE!

*Consumer Comment: Robert is right

*Consumer Suggestion: Yet another reason to avoid Kroger

*Consumer Comment: It's a hold

Yesterday I stopped and pumped $14 worth of gas using my points at Kroger Fuel.  Then I went to Kroger and attempted to buy some groceries....my card was declined.  I was humiliated when I had to leave my groceries because I could not pay for them.

I headed over to the atm only to find out my account had no $$ in it!  What?!?  I drive all the way back to work to log into my bank account to see if I could figure out what was going on and end up calling the bank.  She informs me that when I purchased my $14 worth of gas Kroger Fuel decided to hold $115!!!!  She said that this has been an ongoing issue and usually they hold $125, but I did not have that much in my account.  There was nothing the bank could do :(

In the meantime I am trying to figure out how I am going to pay for the pizza I ordered before Kroger stole all my money.  My youngest lost his first tooth and needed to be visited by the tooth fairy and I still needed to get lunch money for the week.

I do not know how Kroger justifies taking that much money from people's accounts.  Is it even legal?!?

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/29/2011 07:19 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Kroger-Fuel/Tullahoma-Tennessee-37330/Kroger-Fuel-Stole-my-Money-Tullahoma-Tennessee-711384. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Kroger Fuel

I will never use kroger fuel

AUTHOR: JOHN S. - (United States of America)

I never heard of fee chgs this high....Ive use dozens of gas station and most of time i have 1 dollar pending or full amt of purchase pending on my bank acct...I will never use Kroger Gas after hearing this , Im gonna stop shoping their too now...They should warn customers before pumping thats their is a 125 dollar hold on your debit card..i bet most customers will goto another gas station.

I haven't heard of this anywhere but Kroger.

AUTHOR: I am the law - (USA)

To this day, I've never heard of any other gas station putting a hold on this much money for pay at the pump transactions. I've heard of 1, 5, 10, 25, and 50 dollar increments, but, seriously, other than a rig, who would get $125 in gas in one day? I think that amount is a bit extreme.

But, actually, yes, making the hold amount $125 is perfectly legal, it's just dumb. From a legal standpoint, they can make the hold amount any amount they want. They just can't remove more money from your account than the value of the purchase.

If you go to Kroger for gas, use a credit card and then just pay the card off. That's what I do if I have to stop there to fuel up.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

Keep eating there Stacie, KEEP EATING THERE!

AUTHOR: mr. rik - (United States of America)

Im glad you "have never had any problems with your complaint about recalls."  I suggest you keep eating there PLEASE!!!

Funny when you call their 800# you get a recording asking if your inquiring about their "many recalls" and gives the option to connect to their "damage control" dept.

Of course this dept just made me MORE SCARED of em.

Stacie you never told me daddy drove a tow truck, or is it you? Butch.

Robert is right

AUTHOR: Stacey - (U.S.A.)

as for "mr rik" You are a complete moron.  I use Kroger and have never had any problems with your complaint about recalls. This coming from the idiot who suggested to one individual to vandalize a tow truck.

#5 Consumer Suggestion

Yet another reason to avoid Kroger

AUTHOR: mr. rik - (United States of America)

I avoid Kroger just because of the mass amount of food recalls they have.  They have sooo many, that when I called the 800 number to inquire, they said "well which recalls are you interested in?" I said I want to know about ALL your recalls.  They said there is way too many to tell me then hung up on me.

I must be lucky.  When I get close to maxing a credit card, I will often go fill up with gas because as long as I have a buck available it lets the charge go through.  As long as I pay it down before the next statement its never been a problem.

It's a hold

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

When you use "Pay at the Pump" the Gas Station will place a "hold" on the account for the amount they will let you pump.  If you actually pumped enough you would find that the pump would have shut off at what ever amount they hold.   Most Gas stations hold between $50-$75, I have heard of a few that will do $100, but there are several reports on Kroger and them holding $125.

You will have people post here convinced that it is the "evil" bank that has total control over how much is held.  They may even post cell phone pictures of stickers they have found at the pump that states it is the bank.  Makes perfect sense if you think about it.  After all a customer is already upset at the price of gas, so the owners pass on the blame on something that some people hate more..the big "evil" banks.  So those stickers keeps customers from complaining to some minimum wage cashier who couldn't do anything about it anyways.  Yet when they go to the bank to complain the banks give them the correct answer.

It is Kroger that put the hold on the account and they can not just remove the hold without Kroger telling them to release the hold.  Now, if Kroger does not do this it will eventually "drop off", but that could take anywhere from 3-10 days.  Unlike the amount held, the time the amount is held before it "drops" is generally under the control of the bank.  But again Kroger could release the hold before that time.

EVERY gas station you go to will do some sort of hold.  If you want to avoid this issue in the future you must go inside and pay for a specific amount of gas.  This way there is no extra hold as they only do it for the amount you specify.