My name is Joshua Aikins, I have had diabetes since I was 6 and I am now 21 going on 22. When I turned 18 I started working at a grocery store everyone may know, Kroger I liked my work and soon I got full-time working in the meat department, everyone knew I had diabetes and everything was going great. after a year management began to change every couple of months I had continued to notify management of my chronic illness. After a while I had an incident no fault of my own that I had gone to the hospital with Diabetic Keto Acidosis. "(Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) is a life-threatening complication in patients with diabetes mellitus. Near complete deficiency of insulin and elevated levels of certain stress hormones increase the chance of a DKA episode.) source: wikipedia definition of DKA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DKA" this had occured twice in 2008 and I had been punished for missing more than a few days of work I had been written up and even as far as suspended due to my illness causing me to be Incapable of working while in DKA. I had quit on September 16th of 2008 to get away from the stress that was aiding in the increasing chance of having another DKA episode, thus threatening my life. I find myself unemployed. Recently I had filled out an application for Kroger, next day I get a call and I have an interview during the interview I state that I had some attendance problems relatingto my Diabetes and notify the hiring manager that I am no longer having any problems with my Diabetes and that it is very well managed. When I contacted the manager to see if I had gotten the job I was told two things first, "The position has been filled by someone that has more experience than you." OK thats understandable... Second, "due to your sickness management can not overlook your absenteeism and we see that it could be a problem in the future." ok now please someone help me I am so distraught I have no idea what to do...I feel discriminated against and I feel that I am being punished for having this disease... (((ROR Redacted))) defines employment discrimination as "
Under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), it is illegal to discriminate in any aspect of employment, including:
* hiring and firing
* compensation, assignment, or classification of employees
* transfer, promotion, layoff, or recall
* job advertisements
* fringe benefits
* pay, retirement plans, and disability leave
* other terms and conditions of employment
* harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or age
* retaliation against an individual for filing a charge of discrimination, participating in an investigation, or opposing discriminatory practices
* employment decisions based on stereotypes or assumptions about the abilities, traits, or performance of individuals of a certain sex, race, age, religion, or ethnic group, or individuals with disabilities
* denying employment opportunities to a person because of marriage to, or association with, an individual of a particular race, religion, national origin, or an individual with a disability. Title VII also prohibits discrimination because of participation in schools or places of worship associated with a particular racial, ethnic, or religious group"
U.S.A. CLICK here to see why Rip-off Report, as a matter of policy, deleted either a phone number, link or e-mail address from this Report.