Complaint Review: LA Fitness

• Submitted: Wed, December 03, 2008
  • Updated: Thu, February 12, 2009

• Reported By:Manville New Jersey
LA Fitness
lafitness.com Wyomissing, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

La Fitness/ Body Of Change I'm just another victim to the scam Wyomissing Pennsylvania

*Consumer Suggestion: It is a contract

*Author of original report: FOLLOW UP - LA Fitness / Body of Change Ripped Off in Wyomissing, PA

I wish I would have found this website before signing up for LA Fitness in October, 2007. As many of you, I was suckered into signing up for training sessions soon after and quickly discovered that the personal trainers are a joke. None were professional, knowledgeable, helpful or even caring. Most were more interested on hitting on girls, than doing their jobs. I was extremely dissatisfied with the training services, but I continued to pay my dues as per my contract.

It has been more than a year now and I have since moved away to NJ. There is no LA Fitness facility near my new home so I decided to cancel membership. Canceling the gym membership was not too much of a hassle - I filled out the form and mailed it and my membership has been cancelled for a few months now. I was shocked to find out this week that my account is delinquent and has been sent to collections for unpaid training dues that were billed after my cancellation.

The catch is this - I'm locked into a 12 month training contract and according to LA Fitness' crooked business policy, it does not matter that I'm no longer a member and do not have access to their gyms. It does not even matter that I do not have a gym near me- I still have to continue paying $140 per month until the contract is up. I have to pay for services that I have not received and cannot receive. Does this make any sense whatsoever?

I made an attempt to reason with customer service and all the representative was willing to say was "you signed the contract". I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau today and am hoping to get some help through that channel. Otherwise, I do not intend on paying one single cent to LA Fitness for services that I have not or cannot receive. It is ridiculous that companies like this are getting away with this type of fraud.

LA Fitness' gyms are popping up everywhere and it is us, the victims, that are unknowingly and unwillingly paying for this type of fraud to continue. I suggest that anyone who has fallen prey to LA Fitness file a complaint with the BBB and let other people know about your experience. It is time to put a stop to the madness.

Sandra d
Manville, New Jersey

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/03/2008 03:13 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/LA-Fitness/Wyomissing-Pennsylvania/La-Fitness-Body-Of-Change-Im-just-another-victim-to-the-scam-Wyomissing-Pennsylvania-397514. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on LA Fitness

#1 Consumer Suggestion

It is a contract

AUTHOR: Db Consultant - (U.S.A.)

I can understand why you are upset that you can't use the training sessions you're paying for, but honestly you *did* sign a contract. You agreed at the point of sale to 12 months of personal training come hell or high water because that's what the contract stated. It's like if you signed a 12 month lease on your home and wanted to move to NJ 3 months into the lease, the landlord is not *required* to allow you break your lease anymore than LA Fitness is required to allow you break your contract.

FOLLOW UP - LA Fitness / Body of Change Ripped Off in Wyomissing, PA

AUTHOR: Sandra d - (U.S.A.)

Okay. I filed a report against these crooks on 12/3/08. On that same day, I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, stating exactly what the issue was and asking that they make LA Fitness/ Body of Change stop billing me for training sessions that I cannot receive.

I received a call today from someone named Jeff at LA Fitness. He received the complaint from the BBB and called me to settle the issue. Easy as 1-2-3, Jeff apologized for the troubles I had been having with the gym and agreed to waive the balance on my account and stop all future billing.

If you've been burned by this company, tell them you mean business, FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THE BBB. Seems like they take that somewhat seriously. It worked for me, I hope it can work for you too.

FOLLOW UP - LA Fitness / Body of Change Ripped Off in Wyomissing, PA

AUTHOR: Sandra d - (U.S.A.)