Complaint Review: LA Writers Group

• Updated: Wed, December 12, 2012

• Reported By: Suzanne — Los Angeles California United States of America
LA Writers Group
8033 W. Sunset Blvd | Suite 910 Internet United States of America

LA Writers Group I've attended two groups through the years and have generally had positive experiences. This last group, a whopping $240 - for 8 sessions -- was a nightmare. Women talking about their personal experie Internet

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: We tried many times to accomodate her

I've attended two groups through the years and have generally had positive experiences. This last group, a whopping $240 - for 8 sessions -- was a nightmare. Women talking about their personal experiences, lives and using their written word to showcase a cathartic release from mental illness. One woman in particular hinted to her psychiatrist advising that she seek more creative outlets or she might do herself in. This information was offered on our first night at the group.
Another lady, with a strong proclivity toward Orthodox Jewry, asked members of the group is they were Jewish! It was highly inappropriate. I asked for a refund and apparently the policy is no refunds. I asked to take the next course, 6 weeks for the same price I paid for 8 classes. I was not able to attend the class, seeing as I work 10 hour days and commute 2 hours per day. The writing session lasts nearly 3 hours!

Upon missing class, I asked the instructor for the writing exercises I missed. She never furnished them! Instead, she asked about my job and what kind of work I am doing. So I asked for a partial refund. She disputed my claim and took my funds. The quality of this workshop has declined through the years. I am out $240 even though I have been a faithful past student who promoted the class and services. I'm deeply disappointed. To charge that much money for a non-accredited "workshop" is hokey.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/12/2012 01:59 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/LA-Writers-Group/internet/LA-Writers-Group-Ive-attended-two-groups-through-the-years-and-have-generally-had-positi-981112. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on LA Writers Group

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

We tried many times to accomodate her

AUTHOR: Nicole - (United States of America)

This complaint is deeply upsetting.  This is the first negative review we've received.  Suzanne had attended several workshops a few years ago and never had any complaints or issues.  We became friends.  She even invited me to her engagement party only a few months before this whole issue arose.  We have a very clear refund policy which she agreed to several different times.  In the 10 years since we've been offering workshops, we very rarely have refund requests.  The refund policy notwithstanding, I told Suzanne that instead she could attend a future workshop in lieu of the one she attended since she was unhappy with the experience and with one person in the group in particular (who turned out to be quite lovely, in my opinion).  She accepted my offer to attend a future workshop, for which she never showed and again asked to be rolled over to another future workshop, which I agreed to do.  She no-showed to that workshop as well.

Once again, I offered to put her in another future workshop.  Then I receive a notice from the credit card company saying she was reversing the charges without so much as a word from Suzanne.  Now she files this report.

I'm not only sad about this seemingly vengeful report, but am also sad to have apparently lost her friendship as well.

Our workshops are not about therapy, they are about getting words on the page and helping each other with the craft.  Regarding the price, we are one of the best bargains in our area for these kinds of independent workshops.  We are not part of a university so there is no accreditation available that I am aware of.