Complaint Review: L.D. Swain & Sons, Inc. , Bryant Heating &Cooling Systems

• Submitted: Sat, January 24, 2009
  • Updated: Sun, January 25, 2009

• Reported By:HILLSBOROUGH North Carolina
L.D. Swain & Sons, Inc. , Bryant Heating &Cooling Systems
2300 Operations Drive Durham, North Carolina U.S.A.

L.D. Swain & Sons, Inc., Bryant Heating &Cooling Systems Refused to honor warranty and grossly overcharged for failed blower. Durham North Carolina

*Consumer Comment: are you for real??????

?Bryant 583B overly expensive premature blower failure!
Unfortunately I now find myself in the position of having to uncover what appears to be a "cover-up". The Bryant 583B that was installed 02/12/03 to replace a unit that had developed some cracks in the heat exchanger, appears to have had some problems from new. This is the first season of use since the so-called warranty expired (5 years) and it seems that the combustion chamber blower is made with failure in mind.

It, the blower, consists of a squirrel cage type construction that is so flimsy and cheaply made that it starts failing in as little as three, sometime less, years. It, the cage, is made of light gauge galvanized metal(tin) and due to the environment, (cold, then hot, then cold again) condensation greatly accelerates oxidation and premature failure. The failure of our unit wasn't evident until the beginning of this heating season, thereby very conveniently placing warranty coverage approximately 9+ months out of dealer responsibility. Kinda wordy I know, but, I'm asking for help pertaining to this issue of failure.

The technician informed me that this part, (blower assy. #48GS 400 649), has a high rate of failure/replacement and he personally has replaced as many as 3 to 4 per week. He also admitted to me that the blowers are cheaply and poorly made and cost way too much. He wasn't sure, but thought they cost around $400 or more. Actually there is nothing wrong with the motor and it doesn't need replacing, it's simply impossible to replace only the squirrel cage because there is such a preponderance of rust between the cage plate and the shaft of the motor. Were it not for the rust and if the metal were coated with something such as NeverSeize or Anti-Seize or other rust inhibitor it would be necessary to replace only the cage. If Bryant would invest about $.50 more in the manufacture of this cage by utilizing stainless steel, it would last much longer and might last the life of the unit itself. Can you say "PLANNED OBSOLENCE"?

Please forgive my apparent sarcasm but I've already contacted Bryant three times "via" three different avenues and I've been denied help each time. In light of the apparent CYA attitude of Bryant, an honest and timely response would be greatly appreciated. I thank you for your time and indulgence, JED

Jack
HILLSBOROUGH, North Carolina

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/24/2009 09:17 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/LD-Swain-Sons-Inc-Bryant-Heating-Cooling-Systems/Durham-North-Carolina-27705/LD-Swain-Sons-Inc-Bryant-Heating-Cooling-Systems-Refused-to-honor-warranty-and-gro-415620. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on L.D. Swain & Sons, Inc. , Bryant Heating &Cooling Systems

are you for real??????

AUTHOR: Richard - (U.S.A.)

Why is the company trying to rip you off??? You are out of your 5 year parts labor warranty. If you wern't so damn cheap you should have gotten a 10yr Parts and labor warranty when you bought the equipment. As for the blower motor, what do you want them to make the wheel out of??????? Stainless steel, or some other product that won't rust? Fine lets do that and I don't want to hear you bitch when the salesman gives you the price for the unit because of all the special materials used to help prolong its life.

many times as a technician I stand there and listen to the homeowner tear into me about the price. I politely tell them thats the price I have to go with. I don't set prices. If they still want to bitch and complain, I tell them to have a nice day and I leave the customers house. At that point in time i really don't care wether your unit gets fixed or not. I am there because YOU called me. I didn't call you. My company dosen't pay me enough to stand there and get berated by an angry customer. If you don't like their price, then you are free to shop around to other companies.