Complaint Review: LL Bean

LL Bean
95 casco rd freeport, Maine United States of America

LL Bean seasonal employment-a farce freeport, Maine

*UPDATE Employee: LL Bean Seasonal Employee Complaint Rebuttal

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: L.L. Bean Seasonal is hit or miss but still a good deal

I too got snagged by LL Beans ridiculous claims, and I am so mad at my self for not seeing the red flags until it was too late. I was hired for the "peak season in late august 2010, with a start date for training in mid september. I was to work in the main retail store in Freeport, on the showroom floor. Sounds good??

Training was three days in Mid September which was very informative, but a bit compressed. I had one afternoon shadowing another associate the following week, then NO hours until Columbus Day weekend. I worked Columbus day weekend, which was shocking at first, because it was a madhouse, and I had no experience on the floor. I was able to sling cow manure and made it through that weekend.

At that point things went downhill fast. I had no hours scheduled for weeks, and they refused to allow me to cross train to other departments were bodies were needed. I was told that "next week" will be better. Like a fool I listened to this propaganda, and at the same time turned down offers at UPS, Crackerbarrel, Time Warner, and Best Buy. By the time thanksgiving rolled around I only had one shift scheduled in November. I finally told them to give me 40 hours, OR let me take a mon-fri job. Of course one of the state's wealthiest family had to pince pennies.

To make a long story short, I had to work mon to friday in December, and they reluctantly gave me a few weekend shifts, because the exodus had already begun.

Do not think of working at LL Bean "seasonally" unless you want one shift a week at most. What the idiots in HR tell you is pure cow poop. They hate like hell to give seasonal hires any hours.

Merry ****ing Christmas from LL Bean.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/08/2011 04:15 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/LL-Bean/freeport-Maine-04232/LL-Bean-seasonal-employment-a-farce-freeport-Maine-692614. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on LL Bean

LL Bean Seasonal Employee Complaint Rebuttal

AUTHOR: rs6er - (United States of America)

I cannot comment on the poster's experience except to say that my experience as a seasonal employee is completely different.

I was hired as a seasonal employee for a new LL Bean retail store that opened in Danbury CT in July 2012. I was hired at a hiring event on May 30 and became employed on June 17. I have worked an average of 26 hours/week since then and would have worked more if I hadn't booked out so much (I have a home-based business as well.)

Because I work for a new store that was essentially a startup, this may have affected the number of hours I have worked. Some have worked a lot less (probably partially due to availability) and some have worked more. I currently work in 3 different departments and will be soon be trained to use the registers (POS.)

I have been informed that I will soon become a regular part time employee.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

L.L. Bean Seasonal is hit or miss but still a good deal

AUTHOR: JoeVoter - (USA)

I went to work for L.L. Bean as a seasonal employee 4 different seasons and my wife was a seasonal who was asked to stay on after 'peak' was over (though still technically a seasonal) and she was eventually hired as a regular 'b' (a 'B' employee is assured of at least 24 hours of work per week, an 'A' is 36 hrs I think, then theres regular salary).  I chose to work for L.L. Bean because I had just gotten out of the service and I was still looking for work and something coming in is better than nothing. My first season was 2005, then I worked again in 2006, 2008, and 2009. I was first employed in the OFC warehouse, 3rd shift. Yes, after backpack summer peak was over, there were days when we wouldn't work, but they only lasted until october. When a serious family crisis came up and I needed to go to 1st shift, management bent over backwards to get into a 1st shift position and even got me a raise by having me trained as an order-picker forklift driver.  I couldn't have asked for nicer and more responsive supervision.

When I went back in 2008, I had just been laid off from my primary job and needed some income. This time I was in the CFC warehouse working Quality Assurance on incoming product. When the economic slowdown hit, our hours started to go away because if no ones buying anything, then L.L. Bean isn't either, thus no need for QA on nonexistant product. I didn't hold Bean's responsible for this, it was out of their control. But what they did do was great. They continually let us know of temporary shifts in other areas we could pull. I volunteered to work in the factory outlet and I loved it and they loved having me there. Once it got to the point that I had more hours at the outlet than the warehouse, I asked for an official transfer and got it. I continued to work long after holiday peak was over and was invited back early in '09 and work there through-out the summer until I was re-hired back to my primary job. Since Beans has kept me in the loop on when to apply for seasonal work and invites me back each year.

Beans is a place where you pretty much can make your place by working hard and being a 'company man'. Nearly ALL their permanant hires are from seasonal workers and nearly ALL supervisors come from the ranks.  The biggest benefits for seasonals, whether they work or not, is the discounts on L.L. Bean products and the employee store. You don't need hours to use those benefits. I've bought over $2000 (retail) worth of stuff in the employee store for about $150. Who the heck can complain about that?

Pretty much all the bad employee reviews I've read here are from folks who feel entitled to work, entitled to hours, and entitled to a paycheck, whether they deserve it or whether the company has the money for it. That is a 'Welfare' attitude. Mentions of "the richest family in Maine" is just sour grapes.  Hours at Bean's are driven by actual and predictive revenues based on consumer driven numbers. If no one is ordering, then Bean's doesnt need anyone to work. What is so hard to figure out about that?

composer