• Report: #198984

• Submitted: Fri, June 30, 2006
  • Updated: Sun, May 29, 2011

• Reported By:Columbia South Carolina
LOWE'S
LOWE'S Orangeburg, South Carolina U.S.A.

LOWES Selling Practices FREE Delivery is not so free Orangeburg ripoff South Carolina

*Consumer Comment: Are you joking?

*Consumer Suggestion: It's in writing.

*Consumer Comment: To Lisa

*Consumer Comment: Go find something to do

*UPDATE Employee: The Truth

*Consumer Comment: What's the confusion?

*Author of original report: Let me explain this misunderstanding

*UPDATE Employee: Helping to Resolve Future Frustration

*Consumer Comment: Free after mail-in rebate

*Author of original report: Condition

I bought a $1300 refrigerator at LOWE'S. Their policy says that if one buys any appliance over $397 thewn they get a FREE DELIVERY! Wonderful, but.. I had to pay $59 for the delivery and the sales person at Lowe's told me I'll get a coupon at the Customer Service / Register once I pay for the fridge (the coupon to get my $59 delivery money back), but I never got a coupon at the register! I forgot about it and then later I remembered, so I went to LOWE'S and the sales person told me I SHOULD HAVE (!) received a coupon for free delivery at the register! I did not.

So she gave me a print out of a coupon. It's a mail-in coupon and hasve to wait 8 weeks to get the delivery money back (no wonder some folks give up on that) I brought it home, but there it was saying " AND proof of delivery" so I went back to LOWE'S to ask what kind of proof of delivery I must send in and they told me that the same sales receipt will do as a proof of delivery, oh well. Will see if the sales receipt will be enough.

Honestly? I only want to do business with sincere, honest companies, but when there's not much choice or selection, sometimes we compromise.

John
Columbia, South Carolina

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/30/2006 04:36 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/LOWES/Orangeburg-South-Carolina/LOWES-Selling-Practices-FREE-Delivery-is-not-so-free-Orangeburg-ripoff-South-Carolina-198984. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on LOWE'S

Are you joking?

AUTHOR: jhughes2466 - (United States of America)

First off this is the 2nd most ridiculous report I've ever read.  I'll explain.

1. Companies (Lowes, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, etc...) don't set the rebates, the company that produces the item does.  So whoever the manufacturer is happens to be the one that sets the rebate.  That's why most rebates are what are called M.I.R. (Mail In-Rebate).

2. Every normal consumer knows that mail in rebates take time and come from the manufacturer so it has NOTHING to do with the company that sells the items as a third party or distributor.  IF  you buy products online you see stuff all the time saying the price is this with a mail in rebate.  What did you think that rebate was?  IT has nothing to do with dishonesty... in reality it's just you realizing this is how business has been done for the last 20 years.

3. Why would you not think your receipt is a proof of purchase?  The reason the IRS says you should keep sales receipts in case your ever audited is because they are proof of purchase.  It's like when you buy a box of cereal and cut the barcode out and send a bunch of them in WITH your receipt you get a prize.  They don't just want the barcode, they want proof that you bought it.

So I'm a little perplexed as to how in the world any of this could have come as a shock to you.  Lowes or any other company isn't being dishonest by saying you have to use a mail in rebate, that's done by the manufacturer... if you want "instant rebates" look for those or contact the manufacturer to let them know you hate their mail in rebate program.  Either way you get your money it just takes 6-8 weeks.

The only problem here I see is they forgot to give you the rebate card at the register, which I think is their fault, otherwise nothing happened here.  Try buying anything on a sale from the internet, they deal primarily with mail in rebates... your in for a shock and welcome to the 21st century.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

It's in writing.

AUTHOR: Rick - (U.S.A.)

I thought the same thing, but every piece of in-store signage and every printed advertisement I've seen from Lowe's includes the language about a mail-in rebate.

You did not read deep enough into the ads.

To Lisa

AUTHOR: Peter - (U.S.A.)

And were any of my responses incorrect? Was there never a mail-in rebate involved in making this delivery "free"? You are obviously one of those people who don't like anything unless it's what they WANT to hear. Wake up and smell the coffee, lady.

Go find something to do

AUTHOR: Lisa - (U.S.A.)

Peter and Micheal: Go find something to do, Peter from Pony, I read your replies in many of these rip-off reports.

The Truth

AUTHOR: Michael - (U.S.A.)

I work for Lowe's as a Loss Prevention Manager and I can tell you that I know how things run. One of my best friends is an Appliance Specialist and it's common knowledge that they do "whatever it takes" to make a sale. If a customer complains, more than likely one of the ASMs will handle the complaint and appease the customer without losing anything off of the store's bottom line. With that being said, it's usually the customer who screws up and doesn't read beyond what he/she wants to read. That seems to be the case here.

What's the confusion?

AUTHOR: Peter - (U.S.A.)

The "free delivery" promo clearly states "free delivery AFTER MAIL-IN REBATE." This statement is located on all ads and in-store signage. Just because you failed to read it (or ask for clarification) does not mean that you were ripped off.

Let me explain this misunderstanding

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

Let me comment on the LOWE'S rebuttal letter. After reading it I realised that Lowe's is not completely correct even if Tammy is partially right. My comments below are in UPPERCASE. This is done in order to separate my comments from Tammy's text:

"As an Appliance Specialist with Lowes, I have found that some customers hear only what they want to hear. They hear "Free Delivery" and stop listening."

STOP HERE. DOES IT TELL YOU SOMETHING? IT MEANS LOWE'S SHOULD NOT USE GIMMICK METHODS SUCH AS FREE DELIVERY WITH A REBATE (IT WASTES PAPER, FOR WHICH TREES HAVE TO BE CUT) BUT EITHER OFFER A PAID DELIVERY OR FREE DELIVERY WITH NO CONDITIONS ATTACHED. IF YOU OFFER GIMMICKY FREE DELIVERY THEN DEAL WITH THE CUSTOMERS AND DON'T COMPLAIN CAUSE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT EVEN IF HE IS WRONG.

"I explain to each and every one of my customers that this free delivery is with a rebate."

YES, BUT I MY CASE AFTER I FILED AND SENT THE REBATE IN THE REBATE WAS REFUSED! ONLY AFTER I CALLED THE LOWES REBATE CENTER THEY APOLOGISED AND SENT ME A REBATE. I AM NOT COMPLAINING< JUST STATING THE FACTS.

"I also explain to each of my customers that purchase a refrigerator that we will connect the refrigerator to the existing water line, but do not install the water line. Customers hear install."

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY "INSTALL"? YOU AS A LOWES REP HEARD "INSTALL" BUT IN FACT I WROTE "CONNECT". SO IT IS YOU WHO HEAR A WRONG THING. I HAD MY WATER LINE INSTALLED LONG TIME AGO, ALL LOWES HAD TO DO WAS TO CONNECT (not install, but CONNECT). BUT LOWES EMLOYEE FAILED TO CONNECT PROPERLY AND IT WAS LEAKING. IF YOU PROMISE TO CONNECT THEN DO THE CONNECTION PROPERLY.

"In support of the free delivery rebate, Lowes is an enormous company."

YES, VERY ENORMOUS, AND THE CUSTOMER IS SOOOOOO SMALLL, WHY BOTHER. I LIKE SOME LOWES CENTERS BUT SOME A LITTLE TIMES SUCK. SOME EMPLOYEES ARE EITHER PLAIN DUMB OR LAZY. USUALLY 80% NO PROBLEM. LOWES MUCH BETTER THAN SEARS ANYWAY. HOME DEPOT? NOT SURE. BUT MOST STUFF I BOUGHT AT HOME DEPOT WAS FAULTY.

"You are one of literally millions who sends out those rebate forms."

YES I AM, I AM NOTHING, I AM NO ONE. A DAMN CUSTOMER. WY DON'T I OBEY AND I SHUT MY OWN MOUTH UP AND I FORGET ABOUT DEMANDING MY REBATE. BUT I LIKE TO GET WHAT BELONGS TO ME, I PAY $1300 and why not I get $60 back if promised by LOWES.

"The rebated money does not come from Lowes, but comes from our manufacturers."

I KNOW, BUT DARLING, CUSTOMER DOES NOT CARE. GIVE A CUSTOMER A BREAK, OTHERWISE A CUSTOMER WILL BREAK LOWES AND LOWES WILL SINK JUST LIKE SEARS. I AM A BUSINESSMAN< I GIVE MY CUSTOMERS A GOOOD BREAK EVERY TIME THEY COMPLAIN AND THEY ARE ALWAYS HAPPY. I NEVER ARGUE WITH MY CUSTOMER.

"The rebate is simply Lowes paper trail. If your rebate slips through the cracks, it was not intentional!"

OF COURSE I TRUST LOWES. THE REBATE WAS DENIED, BUT AFTER I INSISTED THEY SENT A REBATE TO ME, AS IT WAS PROMISED. THE DENIAL OF A REBATE PERHAPS WAS UNINTENTIONAL? PERHAPS. I HAVE THE OFFICIAL DENIAL LETTER TO SHOW YOU. BUT I WAS REBATED AND I AM A HAPPY CUSTOMER NOW.

"Hopefully, your appliance salesperson presented you with their card. When you have trouble with your rebate, call them! A good sales rep should offer that service to you. When customers call me with the same problem, I will contact the rebate center myself in order to resolve the situation."

SHE TOLD THE CUST. SVC. TO ISSUE ME A REBATE FORM, SHE WAS HELPFUL OF COURSE.

"Each of us feels as though we've been taken advantage of when we are presented with a situation such as yours."

NOT REALLY, JUST A BUSINESS PRACTICE AND MISTAKES, NO BIG DEAL, BUT I LIKE TO POST IN PUBLIC SO THINGS LIKE THAT HAPPEN LESS AND LESS OFTEN. IT DOES NOT MEAN I WANT TO PUT LOWES DOWN, EVEN IF I WAS DENIED SERVICE BEFORE FOR SIMPLY DEMANDING A MINIMAL SERVICE FROM LOWES (OTHER STORE IN ANOTHER STATE). IT WAS CERAMIC TILE INSTALLATION GONE VERY BAD AND ETC. AND THE MANAGER OF THE STORE REFUSED TO SELL MORE BATH ACCESSORIES TO ME BECAUSE HE SAID THEY LOST MONEY TO ME.... IT WAS A SHOICK TO ME. LOWES HQ APOLOGISED MY SINCE THEN AND ADMITTED IT WAS THEIR FAULT. I HAVE THEIR LETTER. WANT TO READ IT?

"Just remember, for each problem like the one that you've experienced, there are several thousand others who have rebates in hand usually in 2 to 3 weeks."

YES, OF COURSE, AND ANOTHER SEVERAL THOUSAND NEVER CLAIM OR FORGET TO SEND IN THE REWBATE FORMS. WHICH BECOMES GREAT BIZ TO LOWES. NOT THAT I AM AGAINST BUSINESS, BUT I SUGGEST OFFER STRAIGHTFORWARD FREE DELIVERY AND ADD THAT COST TO THE APPLIANCE.... HAHA. OR CHARGE $50 FOR DELIVERY AND YOU WIL BE BLESSED. I WOULD NOT MIND TO PAY $50 FOR DELIVERY IF I HAD NO OTHER CHOICE. IT'S THE FREE STUFF THAT'S SO SUGARY AND SPOILS THE CONSUMER/CUSTOMER.

"Also, remember that the store or your sales rep didn't do this to you. They are there to help, but yelling and making accusations or threatening to take your business elsewhere are not going to help you. If you come in with a calm demeanor and a positive attitude that the problem can be resolved, it will go a long way for both you and the store."

YES, YOU ARE RIGT, PARTIALLY. BUT.... HUNDREDS OF TIMES ME YELLING ON A COMPANY HELPED SPEED THINGS UP, WHILE TALKING CALM GOT ME NOWHERE. IN SOME CASES, UYES< BEING NICE HELPS, BUT IN SOME CASES YELLING AS OPPOSED TO BEING CALM OR DOING NOTHING SPEEDS THINGS UP.

FINAL NOTE. I CLOSE THIS CASE.

P.S. PLEASE DON'T ARGUE WITH A CUSTOMER. YOU MAYBE DOMINTING THE MARKET TODAY, BUT LOOK AT SEARS WHERE IT GOT WITH ITS CUSTOMER NEGLECT...
I DON'T EVEN WANT TO POSTING MY SEARS HORROR STORY HERE.

John

Helping to Resolve Future Frustration

AUTHOR: Tammy - (U.S.A.)

As an Appliance Specialist with Lowes, I have found that some customers hear only what they want to hear. They hear "Free Delivery" and stop listening. I explain to each and every one of my customers that this free delivery is with a rebate. I also explain to each of my customers that purchase a refrigerator that we will connect the refrigerator to the existing water line, but do not install the water line. Customers hear install.

In support of the free delivery rebate, Lowes is an enormous company. You are one of literally millions who sends out those rebate forms. The rebated money does not come from Lowes, but comes from our manufacturers. The rebate is simply Lowes paper trail. If your rebate slips through the cracks, it was not intentional! Hopefully, your appliance salesperson presented you with their card. When you have trouble with your rebate, call them! A good sales rep should offer that service to you. When customers call me with the same problem, I will contact the rebate center myself in order to resolve the situation.

Each of us feels as though we've been taken advantage of when we are presented with a situation such as yours. Just remember, for each problem like the one that you've experienced, there are several thousand others who have rebates in hand usually in 2 to 3 weeks.

Free after mail-in rebate

AUTHOR: Peter - (U.S.A.)

After reading your "complaint" I checked out the details for myself, and Lowe's clearly advertises this particular promotion as "free shipping after mail-in rebate." This means that you pay for shipping, but then receive that amount back in the form of a check after you mail in the necessary forms. As for the rebate form itself, it is available at the customer service counter AND online (you can download and print it from home). So even if you "forgot" to pick up your form, you could've very easily obtained one without even leaving your home.

As for the multitude of other problems, it sounds like Lowes really extended themselves to make you happy, including performing work that they normally do not do, and for FREE nonetheless. I find it interesting that despite their great display of service, all you can say is "I hope it doesn't leak this time." What a show of thankfulness for a job well done. Gee, I wonder why so many companies these days don't bother going above and beyond to make people happy ...

Update

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

LOWE'S sent me a plumber, who fixed the icemaker line. Hopefully it will not leak this time.

Update

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

LOWE'S Cust. Svc. just now told me on the phone that they will arrange for someone to come out and connect the icemaker line for me. Now if they do that then that will be great service by LOWE'S.

Update

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

Update

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

Update

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

I purchased this refrigerator with a noted condition that LOWE'S specialists will install and hook up the icemaker. LOWE'S specialists were here, they set the fridge up, no probem, they were nice all the way, but they failed (not their fault, Lowe's did not train them) to install the icemaker, that is, to connect icemaker line. I gave $10 to the guy even if he failed to connect the icemaker line.

Upon contract Lowe's told me they do not connect icemaker lines. Lowe's forgot their promise, it was a sales pitch I guess, to poromise the hook up of the icemaker in order to sell me the $1300 fridge. Once they sold it they no longer need to keep their promise. Lowe's now refuses to connect the icemaker line. The (independent) plumber who supposed to hook the icemaker up for me did not show up on is appointment. I have a new fridge, but no ice during this summer. I may as well decide to return the fridge to LOWE'S....